• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My ARs are zeroed @ 50/200 yards. Shooting at a man sized target with open sights, anything within 200 yards should be dead even with my bad eyes! The projectile should be no more than 2" from the line of sight out to around 230 yards. Add a scope and I can extend the effective range to at least 500 yards. Beyond that, perhaps a Grendel(I am planning a build) would be in order!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Send him to an Appleseed shoot. Maybe he'll learn something, like how to shoot.

These are the kind of people I prefer to avoid. I bet he's got a loose scope mount, or it's some no-name trash scope that will never be right. I can see the .300 giving you a bad flinch, but there's no excuse for the AR.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Blacksmith101
    Where do you coach?
    I coach Calvert HS NJROTC, might run into you at a match.
    Yeah the ten is only a 0.5mm dot and I'm sure my cadets could get better than an 8" group with their air rifles at 50 yrds. :lol2:

Mason Dixon Junior Air-rifle Club in Rising Sun MD. It is sponsored by the local American Legion and we have been shooting against other Legion Post teams.

Yeah I've got 9 and 10 year olds just beginning that shooting from a support could beat 8" at 50 yards.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mason Dixon Junior Air-rifle Club in Rising Sun MD. It is sponsored by the local American Legion and we have been shooting against other Legion Post teams.

Yeah I've got 9 and 10 year olds just beginning that shooting from a support could beat 8" at 50 yards.

Yeah, but you are using high precision air rifles with Match grade pellets.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    To think all those years I spent in the military having to remember that my M-16 Maximum Range is only 3,600 meters (3937 yards), Maximum Effective Range (Point Target) 550 Meters (602 yards) and Maximum Effective Range (Area Target) 800 Meters (875 yards) all with a 55 grain FMJ bullet. :banghead: So the range has to be a lot shorter with a 62 grain bullet because it is heaver. :sarcasm:

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County

Hair dude, you forgot this :sarcasm:
    :lol:

Seriously now, I am wondering. With a MV of 545fps, how much will an 8.1gr pellet drop at 50 yards when sighted at 10 meters.
    We shoot sporter class, the precision rifles and gear cost way too much for a high school team.
    (And I'm still d@mn sure they can keep better than an 8" group at 50 yards!)
    One of my newly graduated seniors will be on the shooting team this year at The Citadel! (She is a pretty good shot)

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hair dude, you forgot this :sarcasm:
    :lol:

Seriously now, I am wondering. With a MV of 545fps, how much will an 8.1gr pellet drop at 50 yards when sighted at 10 meters.
    We shoot sporter class, the precision rifles and gear cost way too much for a high school team.
    (And I'm still d@mn sure they can keep better than an 8" group at 50 yards!)
    One of my newly graduated seniors will be on the shooting team this year at The Citadel! (She is a pretty good shot)

https://hardairmagazine.com/ballistic-coefficients/

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/

Assuming BC of 0.01 (lowest BC in table) sighted at 10 yards will drop 14.8 in at 50 yards using the Hornady calculator

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    lol! I was shooting at clay pigeons at 600yards this weekend. Buddy was the one taking them out, but to my credit I winged one.

EDIT: saying I clipped it that may have been him being nice, but no one can say I didn't lol! First time ever shooting out past 200yrds. Was a good learning experience.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

No actually mostly Daisy M853 .177 Cal. (Pneumatic) USED Air Rifle from CMP and some sporter legal Co2's.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

And Pellets mostly Gamo or Avanti.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/compare/P/406/257/183/

We shoot Tuesday evenings 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the Rising Sun American Legion on Rt. 273 (in the Bingo hall) you aren't far away come up for a visit and bring some junior shooters along. I will even set up a match between you and one of our juniors if I can report the scores here.:D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No actually mostly Daisy M853 .177 Cal. (Pneumatic) USED Air Rifle from CMP and some sporter legal Co2's.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

And Pellets mostly Gamo or Avanti.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/compare/P/406/257/183/

We shoot Tuesday evenings 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the Rising Sun American Legion on Rt. 273 (in the Bingo hall) you aren't far away come up for a visit and bring some junior shooters along. I will even set up a match between you and one of our juniors if I can report the scores here.:D
    You missed the sarcasm. I truly appreciate what you do. Keep up the good work.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    8 inches at 50 yard's ? When I was in the Army back in the 70s we trained on man sized popup targets out to 400 meters with irons. Personally I was only able to hit consistently out to 300 but some of the guys were deadly out to 400. Don't the Marines train out to 600 meters with irons? That's badazz !

Major03

Ultimate Member
    8 inches at 50 yard's ? When I was in the Army back in the 70s we trained on man sized popup targets out to 400 meters with irons. Personally I was only able to hit consistently out to 300 but some of the guys were deadly out to 400. Don't the Marines train out to 600 meters with irons? That's badazz !

500 yds prone is the last course of fire if they still qualify on the KD range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom