• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    I will be getting a ruger precision rifle in the near future and wanted some input on scopes, anything possibly random to know or should be known by a new owner of a 6.5

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what distances are you going to shoot? have any sort of budget? is this for plinking, hunting, LR?

there is a sat & sun long range precision match coming up in a few weeks (aug 18 & 19) at peacemaker near inwood, wv. if you're looking to do some long range shooting, there will be all sorts of scopes there and most if not all will let you look thru theirs and answer any ? you may have.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I will be getting a ruger precision rifle in the near future and wanted some input on scopes, anything possibly random to know or should be known by a new owner of a 6.5

Scope, Clarity matters more than max zoom(mirage is a real thing)....mil or MOA? I might have a good deal on a weaver FFL MIL scope if that would work. I tried MIL but my brain can only handle MOA haha.

Give the 147gr eld, 142gr smk or the 140gr rdf bullets a shot.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    there is a sat & sun long range precision match coming up in a few weeks (aug 18 & 19) at peacemaker near inwood, wv.

I always seem to have conflicting shoots for the LR/PRS stuff. Regional fclass shoot at reades same weekend.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    Truth be told I'm thinking target and distance. I dont have a full thought out budget budget as of yet I would prefer to stay under 5k for a scope. but then again I've never done any heavy distance shooting or anything past 500yrd.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Truth be told I'm thinking target and distance. I dont have a full thought out budget budget as of yet I would prefer to stay under 5k for a scope. but then again I've never done any heavy distance shooting or anything past 500yrd.

You will have tons of options under $5k! Bushnell, vortex, US optics, S&B.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I've never done any heavy distance shooting or anything past 500yrd.

In that case I would recommend you spend way less on your gear and way more on ammunition and a training, unless you have a lot of money to blow.

A good fixed 12x power scope by SWFA would only run you about $300. Those are GOOD scopes too. The variable power ones just cost more. Get a bubble level too and a good mount.

As far as 6.5CM it just shoots flatter than most rounds do. You'll still have to learn how to make adjustments for elevation and wind.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I really like the vortex PST Gen II 5-25. I have 2. MIl/MOA is personal preference. MOA is slightly more accurate, .25" vs .36" per click. I'm not a huge fan of FFL scopes but they can be useful if you do holdovers in your scope, I always dial. Vortex Razor Gen II is very nice as well. I just got a Sig Tango 6 5-30 and so far really like it. It has an anti cant indicator in the scope to keep you level. It works really well and you don't have to try to peek at a bubble while trying to line up your target. I don't have any experience with anything over $3K but if you have the money get the best scope you can afford. Then upgrade from your RPR... Bergera, Tikka, Surgeon, custom chassis build.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Take a look at some of the other factory chassis options. The Tikka Tac A1 is a great shooter and under $2K the Bergera LRP Elite is nice, Howa HCR etc.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I definitely prefer MIL/MIL. It's just weird to use MOA on the dial but just holdovers with MIL. I don't like having to think that much. It all boils down to whatever you're used to.

Don't count out a fixed power scope!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

there aren't too many scopes you CANNOT buy for $5k! typo maybe? look at nightforce nxs and vortex razor hd in the roughly 5-22x range which will definitely work out to 1k yards and beyond. they should be in the ~$2k price range.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I definitely prefer MIL/MIL. It's just weird to use MOA on the dial but just holdovers with MIL. I don't like having to think that much. It all boils down to whatever you're used to.

Don't count out a fixed power scope!

I agree, whatever you choose always stay MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. The SWFA line up is great. The fixed 10X gets great reviews and it will get you in the game for cheap. I just like having a zero stop. The SWFA quad mil reticle is more useful versus a standard mil dot.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I agree, whatever you choose always stay MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. The SWFA line up is great. The fixed 10X gets great reviews and it will get you in the game for cheap. I just like having a zero stop. The SWFA quad mil reticle is more useful versus a standard mil dot.

I don't like anything over 12x personally.

If my scopes turrets track reliably and it's decently clear glass, I'm happy. Maybe I'm ignorant but I can't really justify paying over a few hundred for a long range scope.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    I personally love vortex optics, got them on my AR platforms. for my bolt actions 308 I've got an amazing Leupold Waterproof VX-6 7-42x scope which I got as a gift so I'm trying to keep about the same quality and level of precision that an optic of that level can offer. I'm still very new to distance target practice for anything over 300yards.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I personally love vortex optics, got them on my AR platforms. for my bolt actions 308 I've got an amazing Leupold Waterproof VX-6 7-42x scope which I got as a gift so I'm trying to keep about the same quality and level of precision that an optic of that level can offer. I'm still very new to distance target practice for anything over 300yards.
    if you're partial to vortexthe hd razor 2 4.5-27 is great or the vortwx amg

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

What matters most is having good turret tracking. If your adjustments are correct, on your scope turrets AND in your calculations, you'll hit regardless of what scope you're using.

I suggested the fixed power just because you can make them cheap for high quality since they're less complicated. Good for long range since you don't really need to worry about up close shooting. I would never use one on an AR though, as it would be hard to use in close quarters.

Also, know that high magnification can make you miss.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Here's a little video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUjRRr5JsA

Glass, it's in what you want, once again everyone has their preference
    and what they use, NF, US Optics, S&B etc, fixed, variable. Vortex is
    a good option. It's not uncommon for the glass to be more than the rifle.
    Some say you can never have enough glass or power.... any finally you
    can have the best rig, but if the operator is not disciplined or any good
    basically it doesn't matter...or on their "game"...we have our good days
    and then their is the bad days...;)

-Rock

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Here's a little video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUjRRr5JsA
    finally you
    can have the best rig, but if the operator is not disciplined or any good
    basically it doesn't matter...or on their "game"...we have our good days
    and then their is the bad days...;)

-Rock

Yep. I know a lot of people with really expensive long range rigs that have never shot them past 200yards and wouldn't have the training to hit at long ranges if they tried.

And on the other hand, I know a few shooters that can take any deer rifle with a $200 scope and male 1000y hits all day

Training and practice is needed, and often times people are too overwhelmed by the costs of the gear to spend even more on the training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom