• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    For all the M1 Carbine gurus,

Took a Winchester and Inland (Blue Sky Import) Carbine to the range today since buying them a few months back. Some interesting things happened.

Winchester: The rifle shot, but for some reason, the KCI magazines will not seat. By not seat, I mean the keyway that holds the magazine will not go flush to the left side of the trigger group. The KCI magazine seats fine in the Inland, so I am thinking the Winchester may be tight. Overall, the rifle functions. The rear sights are cranked to the left, but I think this has to do with the rear sight itself not being centered in the dovetail groove.

Inland: This one is more concerning to me. First shot, the upper handguard comes off and back to me. Not fast, but enough to raise the flag. I look at the barrel and notice that there may be some carbon on the barrel. Rub my finger over it, finger is clean. Reseat the upper handguard, shoot two shots, handguard stays, third shot, comes off. Is this due to loose fitting stocks? It feels solid once the metal lip at the bottom is in place and the upper band is over the lip. I am hoping this is not a piston issue with overpressure. This one also is shooting to the left as well. I haven't maxed out, but it is leaning to the left side.

Any information from the gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    First thing I would do is buy some US made mags. I haven't had a y luck with the KCI mags in any guns.

On the other gun sounds like the OP rod may be hitting the top cover. Or it's made incorrectly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    First thing I would do is buy some US made mags. I haven't had a y luck with the KCI mags in any guns.

On the other gun sounds like the OP rod may be hitting the top cover. Or it's made incorrectly.

I can’t speak to the second one. On the first, I have 3x30rnd KCI mags and at least so far I’ve run around 300rnds of Wolf steel, PPU, Herter’s and IMI through them with zero failures. They lock in well and drop free.

That’s in a 1942 Inland.

The habdguard popping off sounds like the op rod hitting it, but I’d think that would be noticeable when hand cycling the action.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks for the leads. I did notice that the upper handguard on the Inland is a M2 style (4 rivets vs 2). The S/N on the Inland is lower 200,000. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Does the front band need to be changed for an M2 stock? I believe that the Inland has an M2 Stock (feels thicker than the Winchester stock). Oh the research material available.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Update on the Inland: Both the Inland and Winchester were kicking a little harder than I thought they should. My young son noticed it too. Ordered Wolff recoil springs (old one was about 1/2 inch shorter) and talk about night and day difference. My son likes shooting it now. On to the handguard issue, it looks like the barrel band was not quite as secure as I thought. Tightened the screw, and went through 20 rnds, no problems. I did notice that the hole on the band that goes over the stock spring has space in. The pop up from the spring is centered in the hole and not at left edge of the hole as I would have thought it would be.

Just an update, any other input is still appreciated.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom