• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    I recently bought a rifle and would like to follow manufactures recommendation on how to break in the barrel.
    The rifle is an Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor. And I got it from Gymratz at a great price.
    Bergara recommends on the first 5 shots to clean the barrel after each shot.
    Then every 5 shots until 50 shots fired.
    My question is.
    Do you know any range that allowed to clean the rifle on site?
    I don't want to go to the range 5 times to shoot one bullet each time, and back home to clean the rifle
    But I do want to follow the recommendations. I will do it if I have not option.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do ranges really care? Not being an ass. I have a new barrel that has the same recommendations and never thought twice about the idea of running a bore snake down the barrel.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    In was going to suggest you come to my range, but they are having an event tomorrow.

Hook up with a buddy maybe?

Go to peacemaker in WV, it's public and they will allow it

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    In was going to suggest you come to my range, but they are having an event tomorrow.

Hook up with a buddy maybe?

Go to peacemaker in WV, it's public and they will allow it

Thank you. Anyway I need to wait for the scope that I just order.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Izaak Walton Damascus, Wildlife Achievement Chapter allows this, and it is very rare to have crowds unless an event is going on. I think they have 12 Rifle stations on their covered rifle range. It goes out to 100 yards and has 50, 75, 100 yard target backers. It's a very well maintained private range, and you would have to go with a member and be assigned one of their visitor badges, otherwise you can't get past the electronic gate, laser turrets, etc..

I broke in the barrel of my match AR in a similar manner, and nobody batted an eye ball. Obviously, the gun must be unloaded and clear, and the cleaning done behind the line at the work benches before resuming shooting.

You probably won't notice much of a difference in accuracy at 100 yards, but breaking in the barrel as you described is more than noticeable past 300 yards if you have decent ammo, and are a good shot. Less so if you are a terrible shot, but have match grade ammo.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thank you. Anyway I need to wait for the scope that I just order.

I have a shooting match next weekend, but the following weekend your welcome to be my guest at my local range. It's west of Frederick by 15 mins or so.

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    I have a shooting match next weekend, but the following weekend your welcome to be my guest at my local range. It's west of Frederick by 15 mins or so.

I appreciate that. If I have the rifle set up by then, I will let you know.
    Thank you again.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I've been breaking this bad boy in at AGC. Nobody seems to have a problem with it. I am just running a PatchWorm through the barrel and a Swab-It in the chamber, not doing a total break-down and scrubbing with a brush, and doing it on weekdays when attendance is light. But still, it hasn't bothered the RSO.

Attachments

• BUG.jpg
      BUG.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 157

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I would think if you give the RSO a heads up on what you’re doing, you’ll be fine anywhere.

That said, I’m of the camp that barrel break in is hooey and you should just shoot it.

More damage is done by poor cleaning practices than good comes from breaking barrels in

YMMV

Last edited:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I would think if you give the RSO a heads up ok what you’re doing, you’ll be fine anywhere.

That said, I’m of the camp that barrel break in is hooey and you should just shoot it.

More damage is done by poor cleaning practices than good comes from breaking barrels in

YMMV

I was of the same mindset until recently. I took a couple of new rifles to the range a few weeks back and "broke in" the barrels. I will say that both of them are extremely easy to clean. I am not sure if it helped the accuracy at all but I get very nice groups with both of them.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I have sub .2 moa rifles that I have never cleaned internally, and that certainly never went through any sort of break in. I’d rather shoot out a barrel instead of scrub out a barrel.

If cleaning is your thing, knock your socks off and have a great time. I’ll wait until the accuracy starts dropping off.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Cleaned my Muzzleloader many times at Hap Baker no problem and in hindsight I should have notified the RSO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom