• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a cheap crap center punch for staking my castle nut; and it sucks!! What's a good brand to buy?

[EDIT] Automatic center punch that is

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a cheap crap center punch for staking my castle nut; and it sucks!! What's a good brand to buy?

[EDIT] Automatic center punch that is

These are the two I own (other than a couple specialty sizes I've picked up from lowes or HD over the years).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPPBN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5JC2I8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can tell, they've got slightly different purposes. The Tekton one isn't available right now unfortunately. I've bent one of the smaller punches in the tuffman set using it inappropriately. Haven't bent or damaged any of the other punches and I've used them pretty hard.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I bought a good one on ebay for about 20 bucks....its got a bed bulb on the end....I love it....I figure out the brand and get back to you....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just don't stake your castle nut. I don't and none of them have ever moved.

Me neither. My HD gun I just have a tiny dab of pink locktite on there for just a tiny bit of extra holding. But none of my others have ever backed loose in hundreds to thousands of rounds. I sure would something that's going to see thousands upon thousands of rounds and service use where it might not see an armorer or attentive soldier checking it over for months or years and getting loose in the field is going to SUCK. But I don't really have to worry about that. So I don't stake it (gas keys on the other hand...)

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Just don't stake your castle nut. I don't and none of them have ever moved.

You might want to track down a copy of the 23&P field manual. It's fairly easy to find. Staking the castle nut, in two places, is advised.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Next thread, how to un-stake your staked castle nut because you want to. A.) change your buffer tube, B.) add a super cool one point sling plate thing, C.) add some fancy new rear takedown pin because your old one sticks, D.) convert your pistol to a rifle, E.) start over from a stripped lower because you effed up F.) your buffer spring retainer pin broke and the spring went flying somewhere and you need to replace it, G.) you want to swap your mil-spec $200 stock to something that has a commercial buffer tube...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom