• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am looking for assistance/advice. I read that the older SLR adjustable gas blocks with the black leaf spring are potentially defective. I emailed SLR and they sent me (free of charge) a "rebuild kit". No instructions, everything pictured below. They sent me a new silver leaf spring (the current one is black), several screws, a new adjustment screw and plunger. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need a torch to remove the old screw holding the leaf spring? I am hesitant to simply muscle it off.

2. If I need to use a torch, will this one do (Bernzomatic)? FIL gave this to me some time ago but has passed away so I can't ask him.

3. I assume I will have to remove the flash hider and pull the block off to heat it up with the torch? Not sure how hot I need to get this. I guess the if nothing else I don't want to cook the hand guard.

4. And finally I assume I should use red Loctite or Rocksett (which I have) to for the new screw/leaf spring?

Any advice would be appreciated.

[EDIT] I do have a bore scope to get things lined up.

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpg
      IMG_0681.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 346
    • IMG_0683.jpg
      IMG_0683.jpg
      138.9 KB · Views: 339

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That should be fine. I assume they use red locktite. I would stick with that. If you use Rocksett, you'd be left having to submerge the barrel in water next time you had to service the gas block

I'm about to undertake the same chore. I may be knocking on your door for advice...

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You could try preheating the block/screw with a hair dryer, and then immediately hitting the screw with the soldering iron.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks all - will let you know.

[EDIT] I decided the propane torch is too big so that's why I am going to try a smaller butane torch.

Moderation is fine, but the more times you you heat thread sealants, the deeper they can migrate. I would've gone balls out torch. What do I know?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Moderation is fine, but the more times you you heat thread sealants, the deeper they can migrate. I would've gone balls out torch. What do I know?

Now that you mention it; I wonder how SLR can Loctite (or Rocksett?) that screw w/o risk of it seeping into the whole mechanism.

[EDIT] It's because the screw holding the leaf spring is sealed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom