• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    So I just about finished gathering all the pieces needed to put together a left handed AR. I acquired a left handed black rain ordnance upper, a standard black rain lower, left handed black rain ordnance BCG, etc... The only thing left for me to purchase is a barrel which I wanted to go with a Criterion Hbar barrel. I had ordered one from Optics Planet some time ago which was all rusted, but now I want to order directly from Criterion. Am I correct in assuming a standard barrel will work or do I need a special barrel made for left handed upper? I keep reading conflicting reports about barrel extensions? Any experiences?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I just about finished gathering all the pieces needed to put together a left handed AR. I acquired a left handed black rain ordnance upper, a standard black rain lower, left handed black rain ordnance BCG, etc... The only thing left for me to purchase is a barrel which I wanted to go with a Criterion Hbar barrel. I had ordered one from Optics Planet some time ago which was all rusted, but now I want to order directly from Criterion. Am I correct in assuming a standard barrel will work or do I need a special barrel made for left handed upper? I keep reading conflicting reports about barrel extensions? Any experiences?
    I've not heard of left-handed barrels. I think all the easements are made on the bolt lugs. You should be good, but that's an opinion.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I see some online. I am a southpaw. Some say old Brit rilfes wre left hand twist for drift issues, Coriolis affects in the Northern Hemisphere, etc. Most say bs. I thought of building a Lefty AR with a left twist barrel. Never did.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Barrels to be used in left handed AR's should have an ambidextrous barrel extension installed.

There are bevels on barrel extensions so that the bolt head is not grinding on a sharp surface when rotating to lock and unlock.

Right hand extensions only are beveled on one side. Ambi's are beveled on both sides so no matter which way the bolt rotates, it's riding on a beveled surface.

You can probably get away with using a right hand barrel with a lefty hand bolt and just let the bolt head wear the extension in. But, odds are you will wear the bolt out pretty quickly.

Edit : Clandestine explains it better than me in this thread.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=124479

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Yep, left handed extension for sure. Never built a LH upper but I got a great deal on a complete stag a few years ago.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've not heard of left-handed barrels. I think all the easements are made on the bolt lugs. You should be good, but that's an opinion.
    You don't need anything but a standard barrel even in a left hand gun. Make the call.
    This....

ETA: NM - I stand corrected above^^^.
    I see some online. I am a southpaw. Some say old Brit rilfes wre left hand twist for drift issues, Coriolis affects in the Northern Hemisphere, etc. Most say bs. I thought of building a Lefty AR with a left twist barrel. Never did.
    The rifling twist will be designed to keep the barrel tightly threaded into the receiver. The reaction from initiating a right-hand spin tightens the barrel tenon into the receiver, if that too has a right-hand twist, which most do.

The old Brit rifles were made by old Brits...'nuf said. Now, if Paul Mauser had said so...

The horizontal component of the Coriolis effect will vary with firing azimuth and rifling twist (and the resulting spin drift direction) cannot be made to compensate for this.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Barrel Extension should be for a LH AR as Inkd said.

Without one the bolt and barrel extension lugs can peen and you can have headspace issues in short order.

Your decision in the end.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Barrel Extension should be for a LH AR as Inkd said.

Without one the bolt and barrel extension lugs can peen and you can have headspace issues in short order.

Your decision in the end.
    Hey Chad. Do you have any recommendations on a Maryland compliant Hbar barrel LH barrel extension??

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey Chad. Do you have any recommendations on a Maryland compliant Hbar barrel LH barrel extension??

Beyond what stag would sell I'm not aware of anything that will come with a left-hand extensionb and be HBAR. From what I was told stag does not even use left-handed barrels anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom