• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I like the 9mm carbine. Ammo is cheap, you will need as much as you can get. Anyone in the family can handle it and make good hits at short range.

The 124 gr standard hollow point loads hit 1300 fps or more. The various +P+ loads are faster. I look at it like a 357 Magnum handgun with 32 shots. And easy 100 yard accuracy with the same ammo as your handguns.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Close combat ready

52269DA6-D9E7-4D1F-9668-0F97AB31131B.jpg

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    At home: Remington 870 in 12 gauge with extended mag and laser sight as the standard and trusty home defense tool. DPMS AR15 in .223 with folding stock and laser sight with 30 round mags if the SHTF.

Mobile: 2017 Tacoma 4WD with extended cab and fuel injected V6, a kiss over 4000 lbs. On one hand, I'm kind of screwed being as I am still a Maryland subject. On the other hand, the odds are pretty good with me and my 2 ton truck versus the Antifa fvck-wad du jour and his 3 lb bricks. That is, provided that I am behind the wheel....

bad-hunter

Oct 15, 2019
    That's for waving in front of Hillary...just like waving a cross in front of a vampire. Now, that is funny!!!
    I have a Mossberg 590 police 12ga. pump loaded with no. 4 Buckshot and also a 45 pistol. I believe that when the AR cases reach the Supremes, we will be able to buy them again, in Maryland. It has been 7 years.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Home Defense: still trying to decide since the risk of crime out here is so low, but there is a lot more wildlife that theoretically would be better suited to a larger projectile than 5.56. For the time being I've got an AR and a shotgun ready to go.

For me the ideal firearm in my car's get home bag is an AK pistol that has been modernized with floated mlok rails, a decent folding pistol brace, LPVO, and tuned to run reliably suppressed. I like the increased barrier penetration over 5.56 for use around vehicles, and AKs are great for sitting around in a bag forever and still running when finally used.

I guess I should come up with a solution that involves an unloaded rifle in case I need to go to Maryland.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    If this is one of those "you can only have one gun" threads then I think an AR with a LPVO is always the best choice since you can defend yourself from 0-600 pretty easily.

euchoreo

Apr 6, 2013
    A highpoint 995 is the only firearm I own. When I bought it last year, I thought 10 rounds of 9mm would be enough to keep my fam safe. Now that I'm confronted with the much closer prospect of defending my home with one, I realize that I made a poor choice. The prospect of dealing with a charging attacker with only a 9mm doesn't sound as safe as it did when budget was a major concern.

Would a 556 be more effective? Seems like a 12 gauge would be a safer bet for someone like me with minimal experience.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    A highpoint 995 is the only firearm I own. When I bought it last year, I thought 10 rounds of 9mm would be enough to keep my fam safe. Now that I'm confronted with the much closer prospect of defending my home with one, I realize that I made a poor choice. The prospect of dealing with a charging attacker with only a 9mm doesn't sound as safe as it did when budget was a major concern. Might pick up a 12 gauge.

Take a look at the Beretta 1301 tactical LE. It's blink system is super lightweight, 33% faster cycling then other semi-auto shotguns and very reliable. I fitted mine with an two round extension so it is 7+1 of pure awesomeness.

if you want Pump you can't go wrong with the 870P or a Mossberg.

Stay safe.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Shotgun is an awesome defensive weapon. Quite formidable. For the gun owner as well as the uninvited guest(s).

I humbly suggest a course and or some quality time at the range with whatever shottie you select. #nosurprises

Amen

Attachments

• E295A9AB-34A9-4D76-B1BA-179F99079D01.jpg
      E295A9AB-34A9-4D76-B1BA-179F99079D01.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 686

euchoreo

Apr 6, 2013
    I humbly suggest a course and or some quality time at the range with whatever shottie you select. #nosurprises

I've had some range time with my 9mm and tried 12 gauge once.

I'm definitely going to try skeet shooting once they open back up. That way, I can kill 2 birds (pun intended) with one stone.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I’d have to shoot one of those a lot to make me comfortable with it as an HD gun. People treat shotguns as though they put out a lead cloud 6 feet in diameter. Some tests show 4” spread at 12 feet. Devastating if you hit a target, but some aiming is involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom