• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    My son would like to start shooting more than just field tips (and perhaps some squirrels). Any opinions on "judo points"?

I was looking to choose from these:
    https://www.lancasterarchery.com/arrows/broadheads-game-points/small-game-points.html

To put on these (700 shaft):
    https://www.lancasterarchery.com/gold-tip-warrior-fletched-arrow-feathers.html

These caught my eye as potentially decent:
    https://www.lancasterarchery.com/k-thump-slobberknocker.html

Any opinions welcome.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We used to use the judo points for shooting rabbits and they worked. It's important to remember they kill by shock rather than tissue damage. Later on we went with the type with the breakable heads because of rocks and arrow damage. The stamped sheet metal ones that thread on behind a field point will work to prevent an arrow from shooting through an area that will cause a loss of the arrow and still create some shock.
    If you ever shot a rabbit with a field point you would understand the use of silk as a protective garment in olden days.
    I would try those orange ones to see how they worked.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    We used to use the judo points for shooting rabbits and they worked...
    I've used the Judo Points quite a bit and like them for all around field shooting and hunting small game. I liked the Judu Point's ability to not burrow in too deep into the dirt and how the arrow would often skid along, then stand up and fall over--very easy to recover.
    ...The stamped sheet metal ones that thread on behind a field point will work to prevent an arrow from shooting through an area that will cause a loss of the arrow and still create some shock....
    'The stamped sheet metal ones", like the ones 'inkd' linked below:
    I used the Bateman Adder points before and took a few foxes and raccoons with them.

You unscrew your field point and put them on the threaded part of the field point and tighten them down.

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/bateman-adder-small-game-points.html
    I bought some, but never shot anything with them.

For stuff small enough to shock, I have had about as much success with an empty .38 special case glued to the tip to the arrow with silicone caulk as anything. I shot a slew of nutria and squirrels using .38 special blunts and it killed the hell out of them with a solid hit.

We shot pen-raised pheasants and chucker with the looped wire 'bird points' and they weren't very impressive. The wire folded back on birds that size and unless it tangled the wing(s), it just kind of pushed by them and slid off as the wire folded back. Unless you actually hit the bird with the solid center blunt, they didn't work well. Worse, you kind of fool yourself into thinking there is room for error with that 2-3" wide wire loop, but there is not.

Anything coon/fox size/toughness factor would get a broadhead from me if I had a choice.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    'The stamped sheet metal ones", like the ones 'inkd' linked below:
    I bought some, but never shot anything with them.

For stuff small enough to shock, I have had about as much success with an empty .38 special case glued to the tip to the arrow with silicone caulk as anything. I shot a slew of nutria and squirrels using .38 special blunts and it killed the hell out of them with a solid hit.

Anything coon/fox size/toughness factor would get a broadhead from me if I had a choice.

I'd heard about the .38 cases but never tried them out. In all honesty, the foxes and raccoons I killed were all relatively close and standing still and I always got a head shot on them.

Back then I was shooting a bow all the time. Me and the guys I worked with all hunted and after work we would go to the hunting club on base and shoot for a couple hours. On the weekends, I would go to the gun range and shoot pistols or rifles and then head to the archery range and shoot for a while more.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You can also take a washer about 1/2" in diameter and put it behind the field point and screw it in--works like a bigger blunt and its almost free if you have a jar of misc.hardware laying around like most people.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Excellent advice. Thanks all.

I'm going to order a small selection and let him try some out. I like the idea of using washers (and cases) - field expedience is always good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom