Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    there are 2 types of M4E1 uppers,
    enhanced=
    View attachment 295812

threaded=
    View attachment 295813

the enhanced basically has the mount for their gen 2 handguards forged into the upper, you just torque the barrel nut, no shims or timing needed, but it ONLY works with those guards. The other option is to get the gen 2 barrel nut and use shims to time it for any upper, of course you can use any other handguard with the threaded upper. I like the ATLAS series, makes for a sleek rifle, but the gen 2s are large enough to allow clearance for a 1.5" suppressor under the guards. The M4E1 is my go-to for most builds, I really like their handuards too. The middle is a 9" gen 2 on a 9" 300BO, right is a 7" gen 2 on a 7" 9mm, my can is recessed about an inch in those handguards, the left is a 9" ATLAS S-1 with 10.5" 5.56 barrel.

View attachment 295816

So is the thread model the one that is compatible with any handguard including theirs? I believe the Complete upper I ordered Is the “threaded” model M4E1. It comes with their atlas S handguard.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Also, can anyone confirm what the M4E1 threaded complete upper receiver group (assembled) was costing precovid? I’m just curious how much of a premium I paid due to trying to finish this build (assembly for all you cool kids) before the election :).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So is the thread model the one that is compatible with any handguard including theirs? I believe the Complete upper I ordered Is the “threaded” model M4E1. It comes with their atlas S handguard.
    Yes, the threaded upper is mil-spec compatible, all ATLAS build kits and uppers use threaded uppers. Have been tempted to use an enhanced, but it costs more, shimming is easy enough, and i'm not locked into one handguard

Also, can anyone confirm what the M4E1 threaded complete upper receiver group (assembled) was costing precovid? I’m just curious how much of a premium I paid due to trying to finish this build (assembly for all you cool kids) before the election :).
    assembled without BCG/CH was about $400-$450, Aero's MSRP hasn't really changed at just over $500.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Yes, the threaded upper is mil-spec compatible, all ATLAS build kits and uppers use threaded uppers. Have been tempted to use an enhanced, but it costs more, shimming is easy enough, and i'm not locked into one handguard

assembled without BCG/CH was about $400-$450, Aero's MSRP hasn't really changed at just over $500.

Thank you very much for your help answering my questions mr. Dracula.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    They have the best lower parts kit, especially the trigger. Cant beat the quality unless you want to spend 4x as much.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Holy cow is this atlas handguard slim. I don’t want to say it feels cheap, but I’m really curious how much heat is going to be an issue.

Although it seems like a decent upper receiver group, I think it’s A little pricey for what it’s supposed to be in my opinion. For the intention of being a “budget upper”, at 485 dollars at current market, you can get a psa complete upper that will come WITH a bcg and charging handle for less dollars than this aero that didn’t come with either. A few other brands in that neighborhood as well.

Now I am uncertain of the difference in the quality of the barrel vs what psa and the other budget company barrels are, or the material used in the making of said uppers, but aero seems to be gravitating towards mid tier in my opinion and probably shouldn’t be considered budget like a psa or a delton.

What say you?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My M4E1 lowers are among my favorite lowers. Forged with a billet look, functionally perfect, and spectacular fit and finish.

I recently assembled 4 rifles for friends and using Aero assembled uppers (incomplete upper with just dust cover and forward assist installed), Ballistic Advantage HBAR barrels, and Atlas S-One handguards on all three. I really came to like the barrel nut/lockup design. It's an extremely light handguard; surely not as robust as a Geissele or BCM rail, but plenty strong for their purposes and really helps balance the rifle when coupled to a heavy profile barrel.

For the above poster regarding barrels, Aero precision barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage, which is now a sister company. BA products and Aero products are sold and branded independently under each companies website, but they are one in the same. This is true regarding their uppers, small parts, BCG's, barrels, handguards, etc. BA barrels are generally considered very good for the money. Only one of my friends has tested his rifle out and his is shooting around 2.5 moa with federal xm193 and 1x red dot. I am sure that these are capable of 1moa or less with proper ammo and optics.

Aero LPK's are fine in my opinion, but for not much more you can get a superior SOLGW LPK and a ALG Defense QMS trigger for only a couple bucks more.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    Atlas S-One handguard, I put that shit on everything. :party29:
    I wondered the same thing about heat but I have had no problems on my AR15 or AR10 with it. I have shot 60 rounds out of the AR15 pretty quickly without any issue.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Holy cow is this atlas handguard slim. I don’t want to say it feels cheap, but I’m really curious how much heat is going to be an issue.

Although it seems like a decent upper receiver group, I think it’s A little pricey for what it’s supposed to be in my opinion. For the intention of being a “budget upper”, at 485 dollars at current market, you can get a psa complete upper that will come WITH a bcg and charging handle for less dollars than this aero that didn’t come with either. A few other brands in that neighborhood as well.

Now I am uncertain of the difference in the quality of the barrel vs what psa and the other budget company barrels are, or the material used in the making of said uppers, but aero seems to be gravitating towards mid tier in my opinion and probably shouldn’t be considered budget like a psa or a delton.

What say you?

They are definitely a mid-tier or better product, the money is usually well spent for fit/finish, ease of assemble and engineering, but they lack some of the labor intensive finishing and custom machining of the best /expensive brands. PSA have frequent issues with finish and out-of-spec parts, although they are probably the best of the "cheap" brands. Have built with DD, BCM, Colt, Fortis, V7 and a few others, and the Aero builds work just as well as any, and in some cases they go together easier. The fixed trigger guard, threaded pins, flared magwell, and threading for captured takedown pin detent are all nice additions, along with "billet-ish" looks in a lighter/cheaper forged Receiver. They are an O.E. manufacturer for a few other brands, and Share barrels/parts with Ballistic advantage. BA tend to be well finished and accurate, but can have tight headspacing and slightly undersized gas ports(actually desireable for the most part). Outside of a couple specialty or precision builds, most of my ARs use Faxon or BA barrels, they are good, big step up from BCA and el-cheapo brands with finishing, materials and specs close to the higher end. They are not hammer forged or chrome lined, so maybe not as tough/durable as mil-spec DD or FN barrels, but they are a lot less expensive, melonite or 416R stainless and IMO more accurate. For Handguards the Aero enhanced gen2s are their "fat" handguards, the Atlas are indeed skinny, both are more than strong enough to hold up while being relatively light weight similar to the MI combat handguards, the S1 are really comfy with a flat top between short rail sections at each end. Never had an issue with heat, although that probably has more to do with decent design and ventilation instead of the diameter IMO.

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

What say you?

I wouldn't trust a PSA like I would an Aero.

Aero seems to have creeped up in price in recent years though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom