• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just fyi, they have a LRC (just a fun belly match, no movement or positional shooting) on Sat June 23, and a one-day PRS match (not much movement, but definitely some positional shooting and also belly/prone) on Sat June 30. fun matches to test your rifleman skills and get some dope for your rifle.

www.peacemakernational.com and you can also find them on practiscore.com.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Really want to make one of these but I’m out of town for both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Going to miss these two anniversary weekend and daughters birthday the following. I did sign up for the intermediate long range class in July and I’ll probably get to shoot in the July match as well. Not my favorite time to be baking out in the sun but oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    sorry to bring this back from dead but does anyone shoot .223 at these matches?

I have never seen .233. The targets are 350 to 1000 yds. You could still go and test your skills. There is no reason with the right equipment you couldn’t hit at least 2/3 of the targets and still have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Dave that link didn’t work for me. I’d like to see the scores.

There is another Long Range Challenge on Sept 15th then Oct 27th and Dec 8th

I may do the October one unless I can get off work for next Saturday.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    sorry to bring this back from dead but does anyone shoot .223 at these matches?

If this means anything, I did the intro to long distance with my AR -15 in .223 need 77grain match bullets. I was consistently hitting out through 700 yards and a little at 800. I hit 970 yards a few times but any further I would need more scope.
    Wouldn’t mind trying but don’t know the Courses of Fire etc..

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    If this means anything, I did the intro to long distance with my AR -15 in .223 need 77grain match bullets. I was consistently hitting out through 700 yards and a little at 800. I hit 970 yards a few times but any further I would need more scope.
    Wouldn’t mind trying but don’t know the Courses of Fire etc..

no this helps. i'm interested in that class too. just looking to learn more about long range techniques with out diving in full steam for centerfire.

also just looking for more places to stretch out past the 200 line at AGC

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    no this helps. i'm interested in that class too. just looking to learn more about long range techniques with out diving in full steam for centerfire.

also just looking for more places to stretch out past the 200 line at AGC

Consider just going to one of their frontier Sunday events. You can choose which field of targets you want to shoot. Test out your setup at the closest targets which are in the 380-450 range and work up from there.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    the closest target at the PNTC frontier range is usually in the 330yd range. JMHO, but there is NO good reason to hold back on shooting a 223 at distance. I've pushed 69s (driven hard) out to over 900. The real challenge is in spotting the impacts. If you do a frontier sunday, make sure that you bring a buddy who has sharp eyes and good glass. If you do a class, you will come away with good knowledge. The biggest thing I learned when I went to go shoot a mile (not around here) is that stacking mils sucks. My friend and his partner where both able to dial it, but I ran out of dial and had to back out my mag to get more of my reticle. NOT ideal.

If you want to shoot 223, do so. I know a very good F-TR shooter that uses a 223 and, on days where the wind is low, he can run even with the 308 jockeys. On days where two matches are shot in one day, he usually has two scores that are close together where those shooting larger calibers tend to have a slightly lower second score due to fatigue.

To effectively employ a 223 at long range you will need a tighter twist barrel (7 or 8, with some opting for 6.5 to run 90s). If you can get MK262 going fast, you can effectively engage out to a grand or so. If you run an AR and want to mag feed, thats about as good as you can get. If you go boltgun and your mag will allow it, opt for a tighter twist and a long throat to run 80s or 90s, the long throat will keep the bearing surface further up in the neck and thus increase powder capacity.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Consider just going to one of their frontier Sunday events. You can choose which field of targets you want to shoot. Test out your setup at the closest targets which are in the 380-450 range and work up from there.

thats another option i didn't think of. i'm really green and new to shooting anything past 200 yards so i think a class would be in order first.

appreciate all the feedback

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    the closest target at the PNTC frontier range is usually in the 330yd range. JMHO, but there is NO good reason to hold back on shooting a 223 at distance. I've pushed 69s (driven hard) out to over 900. The real challenge is in spotting the impacts. If you do a frontier sunday, make sure that you bring a buddy who has sharp eyes and good glass. If you do a class, you will come away with good knowledge. The biggest thing I learned when I went to go shoot a mile (not around here) is that stacking mils sucks. My friend and his partner where both able to dial it, but I ran out of dial and had to back out my mag to get more of my reticle. NOT ideal.

If you want to shoot 223, do so. I know a very good F-TR shooter that uses a 223 and, on days where the wind is low, he can run even with the 308 jockeys. On days where two matches are shot in one day, he usually has two scores that are close together where those shooting larger calibers tend to have a slightly lower second score due to fatigue.

To effectively employ a 223 at long range you will need a tighter twist barrel (7 or 8, with some opting for 6.5 to run 90s). If you can get MK262 going fast, you can effectively engage out to a grand or so. If you run an AR and want to mag feed, thats about as good as you can get. If you go boltgun and your mag will allow it, opt for a tighter twist and a long throat to run 80s or 90s, the long throat will keep the bearing surface further up in the neck and thus increase powder capacity.

appreciate the advice and feedback. see my post above. i'm really green and know there is so much i don't know. i really want to take a class first so i think i'll start with the intro to long range. i'm going to be running an ar because that's what i have. i don't reload so i'm constrained by match ammo ballistics which isn't the end of the world because at the end of the day i just want to do this for fun and to say i'm able to do it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Then take the Intro to Long Range Rifle class at PNTC. you will get a solid foundation and "where to go from here" info. The biggest thing any intro class will offer is the chance to wring out your gear under supported conditions. You can see what works and what doesn't. You will see a good cross section of weapon systems at such a class too. My advice before you drop your bucks on enrollment is to buy three different match loads of the highest quality you can find (and the heaviest pill your barrel will correctly stabilize) and test them for group at 100 and 200 since that is what you have. aggregate the results, then buy a pile of whatever shot the best. Take your rifle to class zero'd at 100 for that ammo. You will be ahead of the game if you are zero'd and have your turrets slipped when you go. And ALWAYS take more ammo than a match or course description says you will need.

Good shooting and welcome to the addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom