• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    New hunter here. I am currently hunting out of a ground blind and have been very unsuccessful so I am starting to look at tree stands for next season. I am a bit confused about the safety harnesses. My understanding is these are similar in function to the harness that a rock climber might wear.

Well lets say the worst happens and the bottom of the stand fails or breaks, what now? I understand it keeps you from falling but I also know that any more than about 15 minutes hanging there will kill you as well. It just seems like the only way out would be cutting the harness and taking the fall anyway. Am I missing something here?

TIA

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    You carry another rope or strap and use it to self-escape or stand on. Put a strap around the tree, or make a prussic knot to your lifeline. At the other end of that strap is a loop which your boots fit through. Standing on that relieves harness compression.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I hate harnesses and never use them. The only thing they are good for is dragging deer. I tie the tree end around the neck and use the shoulder straps to pull. It works better on does due to the lack of antlers.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I hate harnesses and never use them. The only thing they are good for is dragging deer. I tie the tree end around the neck and use the shoulder straps to pull. It works better on does due to the lack of antlers.

I put a harness on one time many years ago and felt like the harness would be the one thing that would make me fall out of the stand.

No thanks.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    My harness came with a strap with a loop for my boot. That can go around the tree and I can lower myself without the stand. I always tie my lower stand to the top so it can't fall. I keep the strap in my pants pocket. I hope I never need it but I would never climb without a harness.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Having used harness for Confined Spaces, I don't mind using a harness for tree stand hunting. I've never fallen out of a tree, but I can't imagine the pain this could inflict on you. If you can't use a cell phone to call for help, you're in big trouble. I don't hunt as high as some people do, but when I climb a tree, it's better to be safe than sorry.

OP, look for videos to show you what to do. You won't die if you use the body harness type. You could probably hang there overnight without any lasting damage to your body. You won't be comfortable, but you'll still be alive when they come looking for you the next day.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have been required to wear a harness in a tree stand when I use guided services, such as those found on the Eastern shore.
    I use a harness made by Hunter Safety Systems and I think they're available at Bass Pro.
    That's where I bought mine after I found out I needed one at the last minute before a hunt.
    Score one for the big box stores!

I find the harness extremely well made and I would use a harness in any event.

REF:
    http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never use a rock climbing harness in a tree stand. They aren't made for that. If you can, I recommend going to the store and trying one on if possible. The different brands tend to have differing fits these days. I recently ordered a Muddy harness and it didn't fit. I'm not a fan of the HSS harnesses. To me, they seem heavy and bulky. My last one was a Gorilla. I didn't love it, but it was very adjustable. Think I'll try Seat of the Pants next.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I personally wouldnt go up in a tree without one. Sure you could go up 100x's and never have a problem but that one time something happens....and you arent able to walk again or even worse quadraplegic or even dead. :sad20:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I have a Spider harness. It works into Scentblocker clothes. It has cobra type buckles with makes it nice to get in and out of. I've only used it with hang- on type stands. Seems over kill with the ladder stand I normally hunt from.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    I love my Muddy harness. In the past I used and hated the cheapo harnesses that come with tree stands. A quality harness makes a world of difference in comfort and I won't go up a tree without one. It (and probably most harnesses nowadays) came with a strap to support your body weight in the event of a fall. YouTube is your friend for figuring this stuff out.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I personally wouldnt go up in a tree without one. Sure you could go up 100x's and never have a problem but that one time something happens....and you arent able to walk again or even worse quadraplegic or even dead. :sad20:

+ 1

You only have to fall and bust your spine once.....

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hunt from a permanent stand with a railing so the harness is much more of a hindrance for me. If I was using a climber or a small platform stand I'd use the harness. Most of our portable stands are only 18' tall too so not to high up to begin with. I couldn't imagine being 30' up a tree on a windy day being much fun.

In a climber, it's not that bad(unless you're prone to motion sickness). Just pick a stout tree.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    + 1

You only have to fall and bust your spine once.....

+2. Next to my gun/bow and flashlight, the only other thing I make sure to always have is my safety harness. I have a Hunter Safety Systems harness as well and it is plenty comfortable. When I wear my big, thick jacket it does tug on my shoulders a little while walking, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff to me. The one thing I know is that I will not fall to the ground and get hurt no matter what happens--falling asleep, leaning over to get a shot, ratchet straps fail, etc.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Have and use several Hunter Safety System models:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safet...ld-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Hunter+Safety+System

Years ago, had the tree-hugger version of a Loggy Bayou climber (thick rubber straps were required in NY State forests at the time). One cold, wet evening, was transitioning to climb down a big tree and the bottom half of the stand slid down 10 feet before I could get my boots locked in, leaving me hanging by the mark 1 mod 0 suffocation belt that came with the stand. I was able to get turned around a scrape my way down with the hand-climber and lots of friction. Might have survived the fall without the strap, but my nickname would probably be "wheels" or "scooter" now. I've worn a full harnesses ever since, unless using a ladder stand with a safety rail.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have and use several Hunter Safety System models:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safet...ld-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Hunter+Safety+System

Years ago, had the tree-hugger version of a Loggy Bayou climber (thick rubber straps were required in NY State forests at the time). One cold, wet evening, was transitioning to climb down a big tree and the bottom half of the stand slid down 10 feet before I could get my boots locked in, leaving me hanging by the mark 1 mod 0 suffocation belt that came with the stand. I was able to get turned around a scrape my way down with the hand-climber and lots of friction. Might have survived the fall without the strap, but my nickname would probably be "wheels" or "scooter" now. I've worn a full harnesses ever since, unless using a ladder stand with a safety rail.

Close call!

I had my old loggy bayou drop all the way back down to the ground floor as I prepared to tie it in. That was back before harnesses we're big. I learned that day, never take the loggy on a rainy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom