• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've effectively killed several threads on Facebook this week, which is probably because I've switched up tactics a bit.

The first thing I ask is what they really want, or what they realistically think will help. I bring up a couple of simple truths, the first of which is that we now have current legal precedent regarding the meaning of the 2nd Amendment and what it means - i.e., Heller and McDonald.

For those who insist that banning guns is the only way, I've pointed out that it would mean a repeal of the 2nd Amendment, and that can only be accomplished by:

1.) 2/3rds majority in both houses of congress
    2.) 3/4ths majority ratification by the US States (Article 5 of the US Constitution)

I then point out the fact that there are millions of guns across the nation that have been accumulated over the last 150+ years and that it would essentially boil down to Government men with guns disarming the populace of their guns, and then what do we have? We have a totalitarian government. That's when I ask them if that's the kind of country they want to live in, and that's usually where the conversation dies - liberals don't really want that kind of governmental control once you spell it out that way.

One of my acquaintances suggested a mandatory psyche evaluation, but of course that comes with issues too, because once the government has the ability to mandate a psyche eval for guns, there's nothing preventing them from instituting a psyche eval for anything else, which brings us right back to a totalitarian (aka "tryannical") government.

I've also added that even if guns were banned, we have so many of them that are undocumented that it would instantly create both a black market for guns, and a whole new class of criminal, and none of that would effectively prevent someone intent on doing harm from obtaining and using guns in the commission of that act.

It's truly an all-or-nothing approach. More restrictions are little more than half-measures that aren't going to prevent anything and only infringes upon good people, and an outright ban would bring about a level of governmental control that would be fundamentally opposite of everything our founding fathers stood for.

Good arguments. :thumbsup:

As an extension, I sometimes add that it will be necessary to also get rid of the 4th amendment if people want to rid the country of civilian held firearms, and it’s the only fair thing to do because the criminals won’t turn theirs in and will otherwise have a monopoly of firearms power to tyrannize the populace (kind of like Mexico). Of course, if one eliminates the 4th amendment, then gov’t agents can use anything that they find in your home to potentially charge you with a crime.

What is scary, in talking to folks, you can discern from some that they wouldn’t also mind giving up the 4th (although they might hesitate to verbalize this). These are sheeple that are primed to live under a dictator.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    At a bare minimum, if bump stocks are on the table then reciprocity should also be on the table. I'm afraid with this bunch we have that we'll give away something and get nothing in return

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good arguments. :thumbsup:

As an extension, I sometimes add that it will be necessary to also get rid of the 4th amendment if people want to rid the country of civilian held firearms, and it’s the only fair thing to do because the criminals won’t turn theirs in and will otherwise have a monopoly of firearms power to tyrannize the populace (kind of like Mexico). Of course, if one eliminates the 4th amendment, then gov’t agents can use anything that they find in your home to potentially charge you with a crime.

What is scary, in talking to folks, you can discern from some that they wouldn’t also mind giving up the 4th (although they might hesitate to verbalize this). These are sheeple that are primed to live under a dictator.
    My old tactic used to be oppositional - basically, the 2nd Amendment is sacrosanct, and therefore it was tough luck for them for wanting a change to firearms laws.

I think that the way to move forward is like what you've said - once the precedent has been set that it's ok for the government to take away freedoms and get in your business, that it's not really the answer they want. The problem is, people want to have their cake and eat it too, but the reality is it just doesn't work that way.

As soon as we repeal the 2nd and 4th Amendments - because truthfully, that's what it would take - there's nothing to prevent the government from bringing down the hammer in a truly tyrannical way, and that's what sets the USA apart from any other nation on the globe, and I think liberals are starting to get the picture that if they want all of those other freedoms that have been the big social issues over the last couple of years, they can't give up the freedoms that would also give them the kind of gun control they think they want.

I don't know why this situation is different than some of the other mass shootings that have occurred, but there's definitely a different tone. Maybe it's because Trump is in office and currently the Republicans control both houses. Whatever the case, people are starting to get the idea that more laws aren't going to stop a sociopath who would otherwise pass all current tests for firearms ownership from committing a horrible act.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Well, no matter what, any talk of gun control will raise prices...I've been enjoying the lower prices, especially AR parts.....I will be missing that for a while I fear...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    Dems want to ban sale and possession bump stocks as useless other than killing a lot of people. Some dump Repubs are inclined to go along for CYA. But it will never stop there. Once they have one thing like bump stocks next will be the magazines and then the rifles. And then...

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    These are the same assholes that just last week were talking about police brutality and injustice in the system, now they want to make sure only those brutal, unjust cops are the ones with the guns?! You can't make this crap up.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    White House press secretary Sarah Sanders on Thursday said the White House is "open" to conversations about banning or further regulating "bump stocks," a device law enforcement officials believe the Las Vegas shooter used to increase his rate of fire.

Sanders made the remarks during the White House press briefing moments after the National Rifle Association (NRA) announced it would support additional regulations on bump stocks, and as members of Congress — including some Republicans — are looking to restrict the firing device that can convert a semi-automatic weapon so it fires like an automatic weapon. Sanders said the White House wants to be a part of conversations others are hosting to reconsider bump stocks.

lonewolf220

Oct 10, 2014
    Hampstead
    Well this is gonna piss alot of people off....kinda speechless

Was probably viewed as easiest way to show they are doing something while ticking off fewest possible members. My guess is the bump stocks will have more regs after this regardless of their position and they'd rather be on the winning side of the fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom