• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    My son and I are looking to join a paid dove hunting group within an hour’s drive of Salisbury. Our group of 10 years standing fell through this year mainly because of a slow year in 2016. Any info appreciated.

Regards
    Jack

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Took a ride to the Vaughn WMA yesterday.

Arrived at about 11:30 AM. The area was somewhat crowded, but there was room for another shooter or two. Guys were set up with mojos, wire decoys, and camo umbrellas. It seemed to me all of the favorable shooting stations were pretty well covered. Went to another field a mile or so away. I was the only person in this field which looked like it ought to have a few birds, but after not seeing any dove for an hour , or so, I called it a day. No shots fired from my brand new 28 gauge Weatherby semi auto.

Did not hear much shooting from the other field.

First time (that I recall) being comfortable in a long sleeve shirt on opening day. Must be climate change.

Regards
    Jack

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My son and I are looking to join a paid dove hunting group within an hour’s drive of Salisbury. Our group of 10 years standing fell through this year mainly because of a slow year in 2016. Any info appreciated.

Regards
    Jack
    Not sure the name of the club or how to now get hold of the landowner - but his name is Lynn Spicer (pretty big deal in Dorchester Co). His home/farm in Church Creek (probably 40-45 min from you +/-), corner of 335 & Old Field Road. I used to be in a deer club that leased that whole property, but he always kept us out of a couple acre sunflower field he always planted so he leased it out to a dove club. Those guys didn't show up very often, but when they did they pounded them.

If you can somehow look him up he may still operate the same way. I spoke wth him a few times, he was a big dove hunter. Please keep in mind it's been 10+ years since I was in that club, so I'm not sure he's still around. I believe he owned Spicer Lumber if that helps. If you can find him somehow, if nothing else he might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Is the Dove hunting in Maryland that bad? I was trying to go yesterday but I need to complete a field day before I can obtain my license.

It is, for the most part, a question of location. The group I was in had a farm where birds were present for almost the entire dove season.

Regards
    Jack

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Right next to the Salisbury airport there is property with a for sale sign that every year a bunch of trucks (around 20 this year) show up and they dove hunt. I have no clue who they are or where they come from but they come back every year. Someone also has a nice deer stand there that has been blown over by wind that was sitting on its side for a good couple of months.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is the Dove hunting in Maryland that bad? I was trying to go yesterday but I need to complete a field day before I can obtain my license.

There were a couple of doves on my neighbor's roof yesterday mocking me. I'd love to try dove hunting as well some day. Maybe next year. I've got a small WMA near me that I'd like to try out. Not sure how busy it is during dove season. Maybe I'll take a day off work next year in the early season and see what I can kick up.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Dove - last day of early season

Took a ride to the Vaughn Wildlife Mgt. area dove fields, saw one buzzard, two butterflies, and a bumble bee . . . no shots fired.

Regards
    Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom