• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Got this Ken Onion bird and trout knife about a month ago. I really like the blade size and shape and how it handles but the handles are smooth as glass and slippery. Also the sheath sucks. It is leather and swallows the whole knife then the handles are polished so smooth you can't get the damn thing out of the sheath. I'm going to rough up the handles with some sandpaper and hope they get better. I also have a Benchmade 535 plain blade on order for my new EDC. Super excited about that one.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Found a couple cool ones at the estate auction at the Frederick Fairgrounds today. One estate had a ton of tools and several tables of knives. I was looking at a few others too but ended up with these two. An Ontario MK3 mod 0 navy dive knife and a Colonial Mark 1 deck knife. The Ontario is an older one because it has the really up swept tip and they changed it to a straighter clip in the early 90's. Got them both for a steal and looking up prices I think I did very well.

Attachments

• 20171021_150212.jpg
      20171021_150212.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 485

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Here’s a question...

Now that the Spyderco PM3 is for sale everywhere and in various configurations, has anyone gotten one and not been happy with it?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Here’s a question...

Now that the Spyderco PM3 is for sale everywhere and in various configurations, has anyone gotten one and not been happy with it?

Handled one, where the PM2 handle is awesome, the PM3 is just a little off. A little too short to hold it by the handle alone, and when using the choil, my fingers don't really line up to grip it comfortably. I usually wear large-XL gloves. The Native and most of the small FRN models fit me just fine, the PM3 is one model you definitely want to handle before buying.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Handled one, where the PM2 handle is awesome, the PM3 is just a little off. A little too short to hold it by the handle alone, and when using the choil, my fingers don't really line up to grip it comfortably. I usually wear large-XL gloves. The Native and most of the small FRN models fit me just fine, the PM3 is one model you definitely want to handle before buying.

I am glad to hear that. This is why I asked the question. I figure surely someone here has bought or fondled one. I want to order it but haven’t had the chance to play with one. I stopped at Willey knives in Delaware last week and didn’t have time to window shop after getting my Delica 4 sharpened.

My PM 2 believe it or not is actually a big large for my hands. I think the PM3 will be just right. Now to track one down in a store.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Same here, pinky is pretty much off the handle unless I use the choil. Have to extend my index a bit on the choil, but it's workable.

I am glad to hear that. This is why I asked the question. I figure surely someone here has bought or fondled one. I want to order it but haven’t had the chance to play with one. I stopped at Willey knives in Delaware last week and didn’t have time to window shop after getting my Delica 4 sharpened.

My PM 2 believe it or not is actually a big large for my hands. I think the PM3 will be just right. Now to track one down in a store.

Bossman, here's a pic of the PM, PM2, and Para3, lined up Dress Right, Dress. Not the same as in person though.

Attachments

• IMAG0751.jpg
      IMAG0751.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 368

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    This thing is gonna become a favorite real fast. Blade shape is awesome and the handle is great. Overall for an EDC I give it a 9.5.

Attachments

• 20171103_193512.jpg
      20171103_193512.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 287
    • 20171103_193236.jpg
      20171103_193236.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 300

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Snagged a Spydie Domino on Blade HQ's clearance sale, only lasted a couple days at $129. It's been on my radar for awhile, but after finding out it was to be discontinued, and the price dropped, had to get one. It is actually better than I expected, fit and finish are better than most of my other spydercos, which is to say it's fantastic. Has a really solid quality feel to it without being too heavy or overbuilt. The hidden stop pin is cool, nothing but a blade, lanyard tube, and handsome milled spacers in between the flat TI and G10 topped with woven carbon fiber. It flies open on bearings as soon as you overcome the detent tension, really fast flipper action, your thumb or finger just slides over the smooth untextured flipper, or flips it open with the spyderhole. The lock bar has a steel overtravel/lockup insert with a nice textured edge raised just enough to make it easy to unlock. The blade is a full flat ground leaf-shaped blade nearly identical to the Manix 2, but a bit more edge on a bit smaller overall knife. It's my first with XHP steel, but it's described as stainless D2 or VG10 on steroids, seems to take a nice edge, and polish well enough. It has a solid feel, but isn't too heavy, Between the materials and design it isn't intended to be lightweight. It can be gripped with the index finger in the rear finger groove in the scales, by the forward choil, or pinched along with the thumb on both scale flats on either side of the pivot, depending what I am doing, I may use any of the 3 grips, and all are comfortable and feel natural. The thumb ramp on the blade spine has a nice subtle jimping, and is comfortable if you choke up on it, or leave your thumb on the smooth top of the scales. The pocket clip is a plain black spoon, and rides about 1" above the pocket, which I like for ease of grabbing the knife, but others may want a deep carry clip.

20171106_151756.jpg
    20171107_103923.jpg

Last edited:

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Geber, Ontario Rat1 D2 and Kenshaw 1950ST

2zz3z8i.jpg

Merovingian: You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Received this Last Monday, Used it for the first time on Saturday late at night.
    I cut myself while trying this knife for the first time by slicing an apple to eat.
    Woke up the wife with bloody mess. She was like "it's your fault, you weren't suppose to "play" with it.

Me: Yeah No S#!t, now I know that this knife WORKS WELL :lol:
    (Ontario Rat1 D2 -Color, Coyote Brown)

206lxyf.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    alucard0822, nice Spydercos. I've always liked their knives, partially because of the impact their designs have had on the rest of the knife industry.

They are cool, tons of variety in models, locks and steels while keeping enough of their original design that you always know a knife is a Spyderco soon as you see it. I'm not a fan of thumb studs, the spyderhole is vastly superior, and stays out of whatever you are cutting, on a good flipper I can do without any other opening device. I usually like to flip open a blade with my index finger, so I love flippers and axis locks, the 2nd pic, despite being knives from 3 different companies all pretty much share those features in common

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom