• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My Beretta A400 XCEL Parallel Target seems to shoot 4 to 6" high at - I don't know - 20 to 30 yards with modified choke shooting trap. I am using the 45mm spacer with cast out (DX) on top for the back and front spacers (i.e., 45mm drop at heal). I think that's as high as she goes. I am shooting right handed, FWIW. Should I try a higher sight bead?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What load shoots high? 1-1/8oz? Less?

Does the shotgun shoulder properly for you? If not, you might be looking high over the receiver down towards the bead instead of straight down the barrel, which would explain shooting high.

That said, close shots should shoot high since the pellets travel a parabola not a straight path. Barrels are slightly tilted up for that purpose. Otherwise you wouldn't see a target at longer distance because it would be below the barrel.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What load shoots high? 1-1/8oz? Less?

Does the shotgun shoulder properly for you? If not, you might be looking high over the receiver down towards the bead instead of straight down the barrel, which would explain shooting high.

That said, close shots should shoot high since the pellets travel a parabola not a straight path. Barrels are slightly tilted up for that purpose. Otherwise you wouldn't see a target at longer distance because it would be below the barrel.

I think #7 1/2 shot and 3 dram and 2 3/4 drams powder, one of each. Both shot high.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Good. Standard loads. Same as what I use. Has anybody else shot any rounds through the gun to verify it shoots unusually high? Are you sure you're looking straight down the barrel, since it doesn't take much to throw off the POA/POI relationship?

No matter what, 20-30 yards is very close. If I'm shooting clays at that distance, I'm floating them well above the bead.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Changing the shim to increase the drop / lower the comb (50 or 55 mm) should lower the POI. Seems pretty simple, am I missing something?

I guess maybe that defeats the purpose of a PT shotgun. In fact, what is the purpose of a PT configuration? I've had two and hated them, as mentioned I had to float my targets over the barrel.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Trap guns are usually set to shoot high, all trap targets are rising targets, further back I move the higher I adjust the gun to shoot. You want to float the bird just above the bead.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Most target guns are set to place the pattern 60% above the line of sight, 40% below. 35 yards is pretty much the standard for sighting. Hunting guns are usually 50/50 and Trap guns can be 70/30 due to the rising/going away targets.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Changing the shim to increase the drop / lower the comb (50 or 55 mm) should lower the POI. Seems pretty simple, am I missing something?

I guess maybe that defeats the purpose of a PT shotgun. In fact, what is the purpose of a PT configuration? I've had two and hated them, as mentioned I had to float my targets over the barrel.

I have the lowest drop in it already at 45 mm.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have the lowest drop in it already at 45 mm.

The others already covered the point I was going to make. It is a parallel target and is intended to shoot high. With that said, the more of the rib you can see when you mount the gun, the higher it will shoot. The higher the comb, the higher it will shoot. On my trap gun, there is very little drop at comb and it floats the clay for me. On my sporting clays/skeet guns, there is more drop at comb and if the target is a rising target I have to cover the bird to break it. On my sporting clays/skeet guns, I cannot see the rib, just the bead, when I mount it. On my trap gun, I can see the entire top of the rib and I can see some rib between the mid bead and front bead when I mount it.

I use a 30 shim in my sporting clays/skeet 391. I use the same spacer on my hunting semis. The o/u guns don't have any shims. I would recommend you try more drop at comb and see if this gets you where you want to be. Albeit, not what the gun was really designed for, but if it meets your needs, it does not matter.

Edit to add: Went back and noticed you are using the 45mm shim. You might be SOL on this unless you buy another stock.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    The content was already covered by others ,but if you found it helpful, all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom