• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    GETTING CCW PASSED IN MD. ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN ON IT'S OWN

IT MAY ALREADY BE TOO LATE. START SENDING LETTERS AND E-MAILS TO YOUR/OUR MD. REPRESENTATIVES AND TELL THEM WE WANT CCW FOR RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS NOW:mad54:

IF WE DON'T TELL THEM WHAT WE WANT HOW ARE THEY TO KNOW ?
    ISN'T THAT WHAT LOBBYISTS DO ?

SPEAK UP NOW !! TELL THEM WHAT WE WANT. GO TO MEETINGS CALL THEM !!!

IT'S UP TO YOU NOT THE NRA OUR ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION. JUST US GRASS ROOTS GROW UP BE STRONG. :eek:

GIT ER DONE. PEACE OUT

UNCLE WAWA

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO.......THERE YOU ARE

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    UNCLE WAWA said:
    GETTING CCW PASSED IN MD. ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN ON IT'S OWN

IT MAY ALREADY BE TOO LATE. START SENDING LETTERS AND E-MAILS TO YOUR/OUR MD. REPRESENTATIVES AND TELL THEM WE WANT CCW FOR RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS NOW
    mad54.gif

IF WE DON'T TELL THEM WHAT WE WANT HOW ARE THEY TO KNOW ?
    ISN'T THAT WHAT LOBBYISTS DO ?

SPEAK UP NOW !! TELL THEM WHAT WE WANT. GO TO MEETINGS CALL THEM !!!

IT'S UP TO YOU NOT THE NRA OUR ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION. JUST US GRASS ROOTS GROW UP BE STRONG.
    eek.gif

GIT ER DONE. PEACE OUT

UNCLE WAWA

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO.......THERE YOU ARE
    http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/ga.html
    http://mlis.state.md.us/
    http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/mail32.exe
    http://mdelect.net/

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    IDriveB5 said:
    having never sent a letter to my political representatives, i wouldnt really know where to begin.
    KISS :)

Keep it simple and nice, but make sure the point is made. I haven't written one in years and that is what I plan on doing.

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    novus collectus said:
    KISS :)

Keep it simple and nice, but make sure the point is made. I haven't written one in years and that is what I plan on doing.

FOLLOW THE LINKS ABOVE IN RED. PICK OUT YOUR LEGISLATOR SEND HIM OR HER AN EMAIL. COPY LETTER TO YOUR CLIP B0ARD.
    KEEP SENDING LETTER TO AS MANY LOCAL AND STATE LEGISLATORS AS YOU CAN. DON'T FORGET OUR FEARLESS LEADER :sad20: GOV. EHRLICH.
    LIKE THE LOTTERY, THE MORE YOU PLAY/SEND THE BETTER OUR CHANCES ARE

THANKS FOR CARING,
    UNCLE WAWA

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    It's VERY easy.

Just write exactly what you think, in the most diplomatic way possible.

Something like:

"Honorable ___________,

Violent crime rates in Maryland continue to top the charts for the tenth year in a row (according to the latest FBI UCR) and I am deeply troubled that our legislators have failed to enact reasonable self defense laws.

Self defense makes good sense, and I don't think our elected officials should continue playing partisan politics with the well being of their constituents.

I ask you to please support (insert bill number HERE).

Respectfully,

John Doe
    Horse Manure LAne
    Cowville, MD

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    WELL ? HOW MANY OF YOU WROTE LETTERS ??

DO YOU REALLY WANT SHALL ISSUE IN MD ??

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR DUFF !! :lol2:

JUST SEND E-MAILS, LETTERS, CALL THEM BE HEARD !! :party29:

JUST DO IT :bannana:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Also, if you are a Democrat, it helps to mention that when writing to Democratic reps.

The sooner the Democratic party drops it's anti gun stance, the sooner they'll attract boatloads of voters I would guess.

helmetcase

Dec 6, 2005
    Spot77 said:
    The sooner the Democratic party drops it's anti gun stance, the sooner they'll attract boatloads of voters I would guess.
    Very true.

It's important we Dems and progressives and moderates start taking a pragmatic look at this issue. Spot, thanks for turning me on to this forum.

Those who haven't heard from me, take a look see at my website: www.progunprogressive.com

Can't judge a book by it's cover...even when it comes to gun rights!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    helmetcase said:
    Very true.

It's important we Dems and progressives and moderates start taking a pragmatic look at this issue. Spot, thanks for turning me on to this forum.

Those who haven't heard from me, take a look see at my website: www.progunprogressive.com

Can't judge a book by it's cover...even when it comes to gun rights!
    LMAO. I had no idea there were other pro-gun liberals like me.:party29:.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    novus collectus said:
    LMAO. I had no idea there were other pro-gun liberals like me.:party29:.
    Damn, I guess that invalidates the poster that I have on my wall at work titled 'Fun Facts About Liberals'. One of the points listed is "Liberals are constantly inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns." I guess I'll have to scratch that one off. ;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    Damn, I guess that invalidates the poster that I have on my wall at work titled 'Fun Facts About Liberals'. One of the points listed is "Liberals are constantly inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns." I guess I'll have to scratch that one off. ;)
    Well, there are obviously not many of us:(.

Skeptic

Dec 19, 2005
    Middle East
    Are you joking me? Are there actually some democrats/liberals that are pro-gun? Not trying to pick a fight/flame war but from my experiences democrat has equaled gun hater. Thats the main reason I left the democratic party (or did the party leave me?).
    Good website.... look for me to lurk there once in a while......

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I was fortunate to have good reps in my district (31).State Senator Jimeno (Democrat), Rep Joan Cadden (Democrat) and Rep Don Dwyer (Republican)

All are SOLID pro gun...... yet 2/3 Democrat.

And let's not forget who's saved our asses from a state awb for the last two years.

There are 11 members of the state senate judicial proceedings committe. Guess how many pro gun democrats are on it? Jimeno, Stone, Gianetti.....3. And there's Jacobs, Haines, Mooney...Republicans. So the SIX of ELEVEN votes are split evenly between dems and repubs as far as being pro -gun.

Do the MAJORITY of Democrats swallow the antigun bullcrap? Yes. But I label them more as the Leftist Extremists, not "Liberals" or merely "Democrats"

Micro

Dec 6, 2005
    Easton
    UNCLE WAWA said:
    FOLLOW THE LINKS ABOVE IN RED. PICK OUT YOUR LEGISLATOR SEND HIM OR HER AN EMAIL. COPY LETTER TO YOUR CLIP B0ARD.
    KEEP SENDING LETTER TO AS MANY LOCAL AND STATE LEGISLATORS AS YOU CAN. DON'T FORGET OUR FEARLESS LEADER :sad20: GOV. EHRLICH.
    LIKE THE LOTTERY, THE MORE YOU PLAY/SEND THE BETTER OUR CHANCES ARE

THANKS FOR CARING,
    UNCLE WAWA

OK, I recently decided to get a gun -- my first in 20 years. I ran headlong into Maryland's restrictions. I'm still waiting for my pistol (approaching three weeks since fillling in the paperwork). So, I wrote the following e-mails and received the included response from Senator Colburn (no responses from either Delegate yet) (the messages below are in chronological order). Please excuse the length and the self-promotion. My purpose was to show what happens when trustworthy, law-abiding citizens try to abide by the laws and just can't get there from here:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005
    To: Haddaway, Jeannie; Eckardt, Adelaide C.; Colburn, Richard
    Subject: Some concerns

SEN Colburn, DEL Eckhardt, and DEL Haddaway:

I moved from Annapolis to near Easton in February of this year. Being in a much more isolated area, and potentially having to deal with dangerous critters on the property (after being accosted by a few snakes), I decided to purchase a gun. All I had previously in the house were a pellet rifle and a BB pistol. The last handgun I owned was about 20 years ago. I started doing research, and, although I've been back in Maryland since 1986, I really had not paid attention to gun laws, I'm ashamed to say. What I'm finding is that Maryland's laws seem to protect criminals from harm and frustrate only law-abiding citizens. That sure seems to be contrary to what our laws should be doing.

I did buy a handgun, but I can't seem to get permission to actually take it to the firing range. It has been over two-and-a-half weeks since I filled out the paperwork at the gun shop, and it still isn't back from the State Police. I think it's ludicrous to expect that such a wait will really make a difference in public safety, except negatively in that I still don't have anything that can defend me and my family. Why would my government NOT want me to be able to defend myself?

In addition, I started looking at the laws regarding carrying the handgun and found that, only recently, was the provision added that allowed me to stop for gas on the way back from a firing range with an unloaded gun in the car. That's an indication of how arcane our laws are. Not to mention those laws associated with carrying a loaded weapon on my person. Thus, as I arrive at my isolated home, in the dark, I'm a sitting duck. Of course, the criminals don't have to worry about any of these laws because they, by definition, aren't law-abiding in the first place. So, what is the purpose? To increase penalties to law-abiding citizens that make a mistake and find themselves in violation? Or those who go against their consciences and violate the law on purpose because their safety is more important to them? What are we driving good people to do?

I'd like to add that, although I am apparently not trustworthy enough to actually possess the gun I bought over two-and-a-half weeks ago, I was trustworthy enough to fly fighters in the U.S. Navy, with bombs and ammunition on board (over land, within the U.S., not just over enemy territory -- I also completed about 217 combat missions in two theaters, while carrying a handgun that I'd been well-trained to use). I held security clearances that most people don't know exist, and continue to hold an active security clearance to this day because of my work with the Department of Defense and others. While I was an air wing commander on active duty, I was also in the Personnel Reliability Program, which is required for those in sensitive positions. It ensures that any risky behavior is immediately reported and may be cause for removal from the Program, withdrawing access to certain facilities, equipment, and/or information, specifically associated with nuclear weapons. I also had two tours of duty as a test pilot. And my last tour of duty before my retirement was as Director of Weapons Engineering for the Navy, responsible for engineering for all weapons (guns, missiles, bullets, flares, bombs, rockets, etc.) carried on Navy and Marine Corps aircraft.

In other words, I'm probably pretty close to being a model citizen. But Maryland doesn't trust me.

Now, I'm not asking for your assistance to allow me to get my gun, although I may, if it takes much longer. I wanted you to be aware of how the laws are affecting your constituents. I just want you to support pulling Maryland into the modern world. We are among the most restrictive states regarding allowing honest citizens to own and carry handguns, yet our crime rates are embarrassing (and scary). My brother lives in Georgia and is appalled at Maryland's laws in comparison to so many other states. Frankly, I'm ashamed to admit I'm from Maryland when talking about guns or crime or self defense. Our own state government treats us like we're children. And it hasn't worked.

We must change that, and I'd like you to do everything in your power to assist us become a state that actually reads the Constitution accurately ("individual" right, not "collective"; the Second Amendment is clearly not just to protect citizens from Congress passing laws, but state government taking away rights also). When courts have to stretch a point as far as they have to deny what's plain to anyone who can read, then we know we are far over the edge of that slippery slope. Surely, our Maryland lawmakers can see that. Just compare where we are to what laws your colleagues in other states have passed, as well as other State Constitutions.

I'm frequently a "contrarian", in that I look at things from other, even extreme, viewpoints to try to arrive at an innovative solution. When 9/11 occurred, I asked what would happen if every passenger aboard our airliners was issued a weapon as they boarded. Would there be another hijacking? I seriously doubt it. Now, I ask what would happen if every Maryland citizen were REQUIRED to carry a weapon? If police were permitted to make random stops and ask to see those weapons, and any citizens who were not armed were issued a ticket? I believe violent criminals would find another state to live in. Of course, we won't see that day; however, imagining what would happen certainly does point us in the right direction. A significant number of armed and trained honest, law-abiding citizens would significantly reduce crime and assist law enforcement.

We've tried one way, and it clearly has not worked. Please try the right way. Don't restrict the kinds of weapons, magazines, or ammunition that can be bought by law-abiding citizens. So-called "assault weapons" aren't used by criminals -- only law-abiding citizens. Allow law-abiding citizens to buy guns in a reasonable time (less than an hour's wait for a database check, for example), and allow law-abiding citizens to carry weapons without the kinds of impossible restrictions Maryland has today.

Thank you for your time and your support.

Sincerely,

XXXName
    XXXAddress
    XXXTelephone Number
    xdkn.gif

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005
    Subject: RE: Some concerns

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for your e-mail outlining your concerns regarding firearms ownership. I also agree that Maryland is one of the most restrictive states with its regulations. I do support your views. However, I'm only one Senator, and the majority of the lawmakers have voted for the various restrictions. Maybe new legislators will be more tolerant in the future.

Sincerely,

Senator Richard F. Colburn

MY REPLY:

Senator Colburn:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my e-mail. I knew that your views, as well as most Republicans, agree with my concerns. I was simply showing the effect of the laws while being applied, as opposed to the idealistic views that are envisioned during hearings and debates on the laws. Perhaps we will see more Republicans elected to office in the State in the future. In the meantime, perhaps we can continue to make headway by introducing bills that spur the debate and get the facts in the public view. Please consider whether you are the right one to introduce a bill or co-sponsor one that would take us a step closer to the rest of the nation in our laws. If you choose to do so, I'm sure we can muster considerable support from those who care about this issue.

Thank you again for your response.

Sincerely,

XXX

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Excellent job! Well thought out letters with excellent points raised.

I was under the impression that if your state police paperwork did not come back "disapproved" within 8 days you could pick up your handgun.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Spot77 said:
    Excellent job! Well thought out letters with excellent points raised.

I was under the impression that if your state police paperwork did not come back "disapproved" within 8 days you could pick up your handgun.
    From what I was told by my local gun dealer, the law allows you to pick up your gun after 8 days like you stated, but he doesn't know any dealers that will release a firearm without receiving the "not disapproved" stamp from the State Police, no matter how long it takes. The last time I bought a Glock, I had to wait almost 3 weeks. The dealer could have legally released it after 8 days, but he wouldn't.:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom