• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That's yuge. .532 ID.

Maybe I should label it 450 bushmaster lol.
    I have a drill chart for calibers and the drill bit to use, so it is over bore. Sorry, I was way off on over drill diameter. Refer to the image and it'll also include the correct drill bit for the caliber.
    a8b31bfdbc7d49ebe04e0153199d5510.jpg

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Making a suppressor for 350 legend? no. There are a few on the market like the rugged obsidian which will handle it (check silencer shop). I have one in jail. Anything that can handle 7.62x39+ (300blk or also 30-30) ought to handle 350 legend (except with a bigger bore obviously). The Griffin 9 is rated for hunting applications of 7.62x39 for example (7 rounds, slow fire). I was looking at the kits on quietbore - to make one you probably want the 308 or 556 parts drilled to 9mm (which I figure is really .36 ish). I was going to email then ask ask about whether drilling the 308 baffles to 9mm would be OK. cant see why not.

I have an older Form 1 drilled out to 45 I am thinking of trying.
    Just picked up a Ruger American with a 22 inch barrel, so I figure the pressures will not be too high? Or maybe I am hoping the pressure isn't too high.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have an older Form 1 drilled out to 45 I am thinking of trying.
    Just picked up a Ruger American with a 22 inch barrel, so I figure the pressures will not be too high? Or maybe I am hoping the pressure isn't too high.

honestly idk.

Everything I have read says aluminum baffles are not enough. I have been researching what other makers do. Griffin Ultralight Series is an interesting example: https://www.griffinarmament.com/sportsman-ultra-light-300-silencer/
    https://www.griffinarmament.com/sportsman-ultra-light-338-silencer/

What they do is an aluminum outer tube, two HD stainless baffles, followed by aluminum baffles. This is rated up to . 300 Remington Ultra Magnum (26" barrel min) and 300 win mag (24" barrel min).

On The Rev 9 https://www.griffinarmament.com/revolution-9-silencer-mod-3/

its an aluminum tube with all 17-4 heat treated baffles. Now they officially say "5 to 7 rounds" then allow to cool. *cough* I may have exceeded this with 556 and 7.62x39 testing it, and it was fine but I dont recommend it.

Which leads me to the conclusion that an alum tube is fine for something like 300blk, 7.62x39 or 350 legend, but at least two or more of the (blast) baffles should be heat treated stainless.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Edit: So I looked at the quietbore 45 and it has "(10) Internals- (1) Stainless Steel (9) Aluminum internal filters" hmmm. Is one stainless blast baffle enough?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    So apparently someone put #MURICA and MERICA as suppressor model numbers.

"Lets Go Brandon" has not been taken yet.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Edit: So I looked at the quietbore 45 and it has "(10) Internals- (1) Stainless Steel (9) Aluminum internal filters" hmmm. Is one stainless blast baffle enough?

Maybe. The issue isn’t just strength. Aluminum erodes at a much lower temperature and it also loses strength, depending on the alloy, at higher temperatures. Potentially permanent weakening. This is partly why the aluminum hunting suppressors say things like 5-10 shots (depending on the model) and then allow to cool to ambient before firing more. You’ll get increased erosion past a few shots AND as the shit count increases the potential to both weaken the suppressor enough from heat causing it to fail goes up. Or permanent weakening can occur, which will increase the risk of failure or just baffle erosion in future use if you let it get too hot.

That’s why you generally only see rimfire cans as all aluminum. A few pistol cans will do it, but even then usually the blast chamber is steel with the rest of the can and baffles aluminum.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Form 1 submitted.

Attachments

• federal-tax-stamp-1150x1150 Brandon.jpg
      federal-tax-stamp-1150x1150 Brandon.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 172

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I decided to go Gucci. I found a titanium modular kit online.

kmwhisper. https://kmwhisper.com/collections/titanium-solvent-trap

$600, all Ti, 7.8", comes with 3 end caps (two are threaded) and a blast tube. jig is extra. the jig comes with 6 sizes. yeah we are beyond $100, but all Ti for $600 hard to beat. I blame Bidenflation.

My plan is to drill the baffles to to .52, Then have two end caps, one 9 mm and one 45 cal (I bought an extra). I also plan to clip at least the first blast baffle.

even though my dog is armed, no drilling yet, don't worry internet. My fingerprints are sitting at the WV post office. :crossfingers: I can drill soon.

my only question is how many drill bits I will destroy on Ti. And dremel cutoff wheels trying to clip the baffles.

Attachments

• 20211106_153514.jpg
      20211106_153514.jpg
      98.9 KB · Views: 137
    • 20211106_153931.jpg
      20211106_153931.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 133

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I fingerprinted myself and overnighted them to Martinsburg and took a picture of myself that was submitted electronically with the form 1
    Good sir, how does a man go about such a task as fingerprinting himself?
    That's yuge. .532 ID.

Maybe I should label it 450 bushmaster lol.
    I’m going to building a can for my 50 Beowulf.
    1.8 in ID, and 11” long.

Attachments

• 0ABEEA93-0EC0-4159-9B2D-3ABDD7A321EA.jpg
      0ABEEA93-0EC0-4159-9B2D-3ABDD7A321EA.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 219

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I decided to build an all Titanium one on my unused 9mm stamp. Got a larger diameter Titanium tube but it is only 5 inches long. Will drill it to a little larger than 9 mm and will use exclusively on my 350 legend.

I decided to go Gucci. I found a titanium modular kit online.

kmwhisper. https://kmwhisper.com/collections/titanium-solvent-trap

$600, all Ti, 7.8", comes with 3 end caps (two are threaded) and a blast tube. jig is extra. the jig comes with 6 sizes. yeah we are beyond $100, but all Ti for $600 hard to beat. I blame Bidenflation.

My plan is to drill the baffles to to .52, Then have two end caps, one 9 mm and one 45 cal (I bought an extra). I also plan to clip at least the first blast baffle.

even though my dog is armed, no drilling yet, don't worry internet. My fingerprints are sitting at the WV post office. :crossfingers: I can drill soon.

my only question is how many drill bits I will destroy on Ti. And dremel cutoff wheels trying to clip the baffles.

Cobalt bits with oil and a drill press. Start with a small pilot hole and step up several times before getting to .52". Another trick to drilling titanium is to "tap" the baffle with the drill press on a low speed. I'm talking no more than 3-4 seconds of contact time before raising the bit- rinse and repeat. Constant pressure on unlubed titanium is what kills drill bits quickly.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Cobalt bits with oil and a drill press. Start with a small pilot hole and step up several times before getting to .52". Another trick to drilling titanium is to "tap" the baffle with the drill press on a low speed. I'm talking no more than 3-4 seconds of contact time before raising the bit- rinse and repeat. Constant pressure on unlubed titanium is what kills drill bits quickly.

:thumbsup:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

1.8 in ID, and 11” long.

Probably not tough to do it yourself. Lightly apply ink and roll your finger. Didn't think about doing it myself nice way to save a few bucks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have an 8" d cell tube on a form 1, where is a good place for stainless freeze plugs formed or at least for someone with a forming tool in stock?

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD

1.8 in ID, and 11” long.

i just did a form 1 SBR submission a couple weeks back and did my own fingerprints. while i haven't gotten my approval yet, it's only been 15 days. i used this link as my guide:

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-compliant-fd-258-fingerprint-cards-walk-through-guide

and ordered the cards from the atf and they came in like 5 days. ordered them from the atf from here:

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    i just did a form 1 SBR submission a couple weeks back and did my own fingerprints. while i haven't gotten my approval yet, it's only been 15 days. i used this link as my guide:

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-compliant-fd-258-fingerprint-cards-walk-through-guide

and ordered the cards from the atf and they came in like 5 days. ordered them from the atf from here:

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

I did my own fingerprints on my last form 1. Not easy to do, I had a lot do-overs before I got it right. If you have a friend that can help, that would make the process go a lot faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom