How many flashlights do you really need?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I agree. I have the recharge date written on each flashlight and routinely check them. With the long life lithium batteries, they don't have to be recharged as often as the old Ni Cads did.

What brand/charger do you like for the lithiums. I think I want to go that route for at least some of my lights.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    When the lights go out you need one more then the one you have, when you can't see what you look for you need a brighter one.

Your House Defense Shotgun needs one, your Bedside Drawer Sidearm needs one, your wife needs hers so she will stop taking yours.

When you have late night dog barking outside noise you need a Big Ass Bright as Hell one.

Looks like you need one. At last count I have around 30, different Battery sizes, both non and rechargeable, No AAA can't stand this little pieces of SH*t never work after you buy them, batteries always leak, switches fail, not worth the trouble or the money.

The wife has always says I never was very good at counting or telling time.:rolleyes:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I do have a couple of larger, heavier flashlights (LED) that are waterproof, etc. But I probably have around 20 like these.... or the previous lights Sams carried from Tasco:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...ed-flashloghts/prod24442189?xid=plp_product_1

I've also given a few of those away.

Still have my kerosene lanterns plus a couple double mantle propane lanterns plus a couple compact battery powered lanterns for camping

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Everybody should get a good light. It will change your life. Those 3 for 20 LED lights are garbage. Good batteries and a quality charger are a must as well. I like Fenix lights, but Streamlight, NiteCore, Surefire are also good brands. Maybe Maglight. Maybe Coast for a budget/backup option.

For 18650s I use Fenix, Surefire, Samsung and Panasonic batteries, and mostly surefire CR123s.

I try to stay away from CR123s when I can, for a couple reasons, but most of the best WMLs use them, as well as the range finder binos. For one thing, CR123s are not rechargeable, and there is no rechargeable battery chemistry that can make a comparable battery. They can also be very dangerous, you need to take special care with them, especially in devices that use more than one battery. If your light does not specifically say that it can use either 2x CR123 or one 18650, do not risk it, they are not equivalent.

Ive had an 18650 short circuit through the change in my console. By the time I saw the smoke, there was a quarter that was glowing brightly red hot. If that had been a CR123, I probably wouldn't have been able to stop it, without a fire extinguisher.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I like the olight. I have (had?) a rechargeable gun light. Took it off when I left patrol last year and cannot find it now. It was very bright, durable and rechargeable so I didn't have to keep replacing CR123 batteries. Hope I find it soon, I'm afraid my 2 year old may have hidden it in the trash can at some point...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm an Olight fan, have a bunch. For some uses, you need a few of the same light. I have Obulbs with the magnetic base stuck in a few places, if the power goes out, or I need to walk around the house in the dark, there is always one close by, tap to turn it on, carry it or stick it to anything metal. They are cheap, rechargeable, and being a latern they light up a wide area with soft light so I don't wake up people. For EDC I have a couple slimmer and small lights, i3ta and the S1R. Have a couple Warrior minis for the cars when I need a light for working on stuff, and a Warrior X when I need a spotlight.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have Obulbs with the magnetic base stuck in a few places, if the power goes out, or I need to walk around the house in the dark, there is always one close by, tap to turn it on, carry it or stick it to anything metal.

Everyone should have a flashlight on top of, or stuck to, their gun safe.
    Also this little thing is remarkably handy and effective. I really dislike seeing people use their phones as flashlights. It seems unmanly.

Attachments

• C867C4B4-86F5-44C0-ABB8-9D135621294C.jpg
      C867C4B4-86F5-44C0-ABB8-9D135621294C.jpg
      186.8 KB · Views: 141

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    If I have pants on, I have a flashlight and a knife.

I usually have pants on.

3 guns have lights, the gun safe has a flashlight, the basement door has a flashlight by it, the front porch has a flashlight by it, the bed stand has a flashlight, the car has one in the glove box and one in the trunk, my work bag has one, and I have one on my desk at work.

My EDCs, firearms, porch light, an work lights are all 18650 or 21700s Klarus or Olights. I have a couple cheap ones in the other rooms.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    When the lights go out you need one more then the one you have, when you can't see what you look for you need a brighter one.

Your House Defense Shotgun needs one, your Bedside Drawer Sidearm needs one, your wife needs hers so she will stop taking yours.

When you have late night dog barking outside noise you need a Big Ass Bright as Hell one.

Looks like you need one. At last count I have around 30, different Battery sizes, both non and rechargeable, No AAA can't stand this little pieces of SH*t never work after you buy them, batteries always leak, switches fail, not worth the trouble or the money.

The wife has always says I never was very good at counting or telling time.:rolleyes:

Your dog needs one attached to his collar, too. And a spare.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A solar powered flash light. Let that sink in for a minute.

LOL, solar charging :)
    I have a solar and crank charging light/radio. Has a lithium battery (which does not last long if you don't leave it semi charged)
    The pump charge w/ the flywheel flashlight I think work better and last longer though.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I just want some night vision goggles like the Taliban has.

Anybody know where to get some?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I just want some night vision goggles like the Taliban has.

Anybody know where to get some?

I heard you can buy some tourist guided tour to Afghanistan. That is the hard way, but cheapest way. You want the sure way but expensive? Call Hunter Biden. Make sure you ready to have cash on delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom