• ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    How is that to shoot?

A buddy has the 340PD. Similar but .357, and he says he shot it once. And that was too much. :D

I have the S&W 500 rubber grips on it. My daughter enjoyed shooting full power .44 magnum loads out of it when she was 13, but she loves recoil. Not a gun you’ll shoot all day at the range. With .44 Special loads, it’s downright pleasant.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Go Big or Go Home

I had a bad experience with anything smaller that a 44 Mag. A bud hit a hog and it did not go down. A bear is a total different category I have shot several bears over my life time and the smallest caliber was a 30/06.

A friend in Maine shot a bear 3 times with a 357 mag and he was lucky he was not killed.

I went hog hunting in GA this past spring one shot with my revolver he went down. Last fall I took down a deer at about 50 yards and dropped it in its tracks.

Also it will take care of the zombies, 50 caliber S&W magnum by Magnum research don't leave home with out one.

Attachments

• Zombie Defense.jpg
      Zombie Defense.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 230

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I had a bad experience with anything smaller that a 44 Mag. A bud hit a hog and it did not go down. A bear is a total different category I have shot several bears over my life time and the smallest caliber was a 30/06.

A friend in Maine shot a bear 3 times with a 357 mag and he was lucky he was not killed.

I went hog hunting in GA this past spring one shot with my revolver he went down. Last fall I took down a deer at about 50 yards and dropped it in its tracks.

Also it will take care of the zombies, 50 caliber S&W magnum by Magnum research don't leave home with out one.

I hear you and maybe those were all good hits and the round was just totally inadequate. Or it wouldn't matter what they were hit with, because they were terrible hits and a 50BMG wouldn't have gotten the job done. I will absolutely agree that the more energy and the larger the diameter, the greater the likelihood of stopping the threat.

On the other hand, a 230gr .45acp hard cast traveling at about 850fps is going to rip right through >2 feet, including smashing through bones. A 44 magnum might do a better job if heavy bones are involved, but supposing you don't, the 45acp is likely to do more damage, it is .451 and the 44 magnum is .430". The velocity difference isn't really going to account for much. Velocity really only matters (other than soft armor) until you start getting up to the 1500+fps range when you are talking about a jacketed or hard cast bullet.

PS I've seen plenty of tests where a hard cast 230gr manages to penetrate to over 4 FEET through ballistic gel and tests of it hitting pork shoulder and then continuing on more than 2 feet.

And yes, a 500S&W is significantly more powerful and better than a 45acp or 44 magnum. But you also have to lug a handgun weighing >1.5-2x heavier and you'd likely have a hell of a time getting a 2nd shot off if you miss or it doesn't do the job. I think there is a heck of an argument for one round stopping, but if it is a bad shot or you miss, are you going to be able to get a second shot off in maybe a second if a bear is charging you? Because I don't know that a real human being could do that with a 500S&W magnum, at least not remotely aimed. Even a 44 mag would be hard to do that with. I'd rather 2 or 3 chances with a 45acp than a single chance with a 500S&W magnum. Hunting would be different though as I am likely taking my time to ensure a very well aimed shot. Hell, a Mossberg shockwave in 12ga is only a bit heavier than a S&W500 4" revolver. If you are going to go big, you might as well go 12ga slugs.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ This post is counter to everything I have read and observed concerning the 45 ACP. A 45 ACP ball round will not penetrate a WWII helmet yet it will go through 6 feet of ballistic gel and bones? What is the source you are citing?

I haven’t heard of an Alaskan guide recommending a 45 ACP as outdoor protection. And grizz isn’t 6 feet across.” nor 10 feet long. Curious about this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just remember my Dad telling of being on board a carrier. Back in the day, you could check out firearms and ammo to go shooting.

So these guys decide to go hunting a grizzly. So they got a couple of 03s and a couple of Thompsons (the good old days were GOOD). And off they go. Military ball ammo.

So unfortunately, they actually found a grizzly. And they shot at is (.30-06) and hit it. And made it VERY mad. So it came after them. They shot and hit it several more times and made it madder.

Finally they went up a tree, only to find the bears can climb trees. Finally, one of the Thompson guns stuck the muzzle in the bears mouth and emptied a stick magazine (20 or 30 rounds) into the roof of the bear's mouth.

That finally stopped the bear.

So you see, .45 ACP is fine for stopping a grizzley. You just have to wait until it is about to eat your hand and gun. :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    With absolutely no disrespect to Pinecone's dad (I'm sure he very sensibly took a .30-06)...

Anyone attempting to recreationally hunt a grizzly with a .45 is no loss to the gene pool when they get eaten.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    With absolutely no disrespect to Pinecone's dad (I'm sure he very sensibly took a .30-06)...

Anyone attempting to recreationally hunt a grizzly with a .45 is no loss to the gene pool when they get eaten.

Darwin Award Winner!!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

The image of 'shrooms' comes to mind...:innocent0

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD

I'd rather have my 1911 versus doing a Timothy Treadwell and hunt Grizzlies with a Nikon. :crazy:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    but if it is a bad shot or you miss, are you going to be able to get a second shot off in maybe a second if a bear is charging you? Because I don't know that a real human being could do that with a 500S&W magnum, at least not remotely aimed. Even a 44 mag would be hard to do that with. I'd rather 2 or 3 chances with a 45acp than a single chance with a 500S&W magnum. Hunting would be different though as I am likely taking my time to ensure a very well aimed shot. Hell, a Mossberg shockwave in 12ga is only a bit heavier than a S&W500 4" revolver. If you are going to go big, you might as well go 12ga slugs.

You bring up some adequate points however, practice makes perfect. A bud and I often go shooting together he has a 45/70 BFR revolver and I use my .500 S&W We both can crank off all 5 rounds at a 25 yard 6 inch target with in 7 seconds and with no misses. Yes, sometimes we miss I typically shoot either 350 gr HP or 325 Hornaday FTX and depending on load any where between 1200 to 1500 FPS. We even have shot them single handed a lot slower but still accurate. He went to Alaska last year and took down a brown bear at 50 yards with a single shot. He was using 500 grain hard cast yes it kicks like a mule. However very impressive non the less.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You bring up some adequate points however, practice makes perfect. A bud and I often go shooting together he has a 45/70 BFR revolver and I use my .500 S&W We both can crank off all 5 rounds at a 25 yard 6 inch target with in 7 seconds and with no misses. Yes, sometimes we miss I typically shoot either 350 gr HP or 325 Hornaday FTX and depending on load any where between 1200 to 1500 FPS. We even have shot them single handed a lot slower but still accurate. He went to Alaska last year and took down a brown bear at 50 yards with a single shot. He was using 500 grain hard cast yes it kicks like a mule. However very impressive non the less.

My friend has a S&W 500, I call it the Hand Cannon. It draws a LOT of attention when we shoot it. I'm not too bad with it, accuracy-wise, but you've got me beat. When my friend brings high grain rounds to shoot I'm usually one and done. :lol2:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Ever considered a revolver? The S&W 625 is an excellent choice. Using moon clips is fast and and easy, and your ammo choices can run the gamut from standard ball to 45 super. Of course, if ammo capacity is at the forefront, this suggestion is moot. I readily admit that gunfights on camping trips present a real challenge with only six shots

Same problem here. Instead of procuring a G-20 slide, went with a Ruger 45LC/45acp Redhawk. Buffalo bore 45LC +P 410g solid cast bullets should do the job, looks and feels great in the hand.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Glock 21

[EDIT] What kind of bear? Small black bear or large brown bear? Your best strategy might be to hit them in the shoulder to slow him down so you have time to can climb a tree.
    [EDIT2] Or ... bring a yappy little dog with you to act as a decoy and climb a tree.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    So we've gone from a question about a casual hike / camp in the woods near home to [paraphrasing]:

needing something much more powerful than a .45 to defend against grizzly because some people are stupid and think .45 kills everything, and my dad's friend's couldn't kill a grizzly with .30-06.

Ok, so I guess we should all carry bare-minimum a .375 Ruger equivalent for our next-to-town camping trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom