• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Patriots Day Weekend AARs!

Wow, what a weekend for Appleseed in the Maryland region - we had 5 events around the state and adjoining states to celebrate Patriots Day weekend!

Annapolis, MD: A very successful two-day event saw 13 shooters on the line with a good variety of new and return students. Despite a slow pace Saturday morning, all progressed nicely and showed remarkable improvement by days end, with return shooter Jake clocking in with a 246! Sunday saw 12 shooters return to the line, with 3 more shooters crossing the bar to achieve Rifleman status. Highlights include 11 year old Eva clocking in with a 213! Thank you to all the shooters, volunteers, and host club for another outstanding event in Annapolis!

Lexington Park, MD: Seven shooters came out for a crisp, yet sunny day of marksmanship and history. A mostly beginner crowd, with some return AS participants sprinkled in, they made great strides to apply the skills and enduring patience toward meeting that elusive 210 threshold. Everyone learned a lot and had a great time by the end of the day with one person knocking on the door of Rifleman. Thanks to our Sanners Lake Sportsmen Club for hosting, and to dSB John.

Abbottstown, PA: The first-ever Project Appleseed event at York & Adams Game & Fish Association is in the books, and all concerned agree that it was successful. This is a great facility in southern Pennsylvania, and our host was very accommodating. Even the weather cooperated as our combined PA/MD instructor cadre mentored students from both states in the pursuit of Liberty. In the interest of minimizing ammunition expenditure while maximizing progress in marksmanship, instruction consisted of more dry practice and less rounds downrange than our traditional course of fire. Results on the Redcoat target shifted from 100 - 200 yard effectiveness for most students on Saturday morning to 300 - 400 yard effectiveness on Sunday afternoon. Saturday morning Crystal and Derek made all thirteen shots count on their Redcoat, earning them the 1st PA Rifle Regiment patch. When all the brass had fallen, and all the AQT scores were added, most of our eleven students had high scores in the Sharpshooter range. Crystal (222) and Don (210) earned their April 19th commemorative Rifleman patches, and of course Don was duly baptized with water which had flowed under the North Bridge.

Kearneysville, WV: Two events for Patriot's Day weekend, a Friday one-day and a two day on a cooler weekend. For the Friday event, 8 Great Americans came out to celebrate liberty and kick-off the weekend. Huge improvement, great attitudes all around. 2 Luther Blanchard patches were awarded to youth shooters (A Rifleman Persists!), 2 shooters were very close to qualifying (Sharpshooters), and two new Riflemen earned the special Patriot’s Weekend Rifleman’s patch! Jason scored a solid 220 but Maddie achieved a 241, a Distinguished score, as a First-time Appleseeder! For the two-day event, we had 9 shooters on the line. Two youth shooters earned Luther Blanchard patches and 6 Rifleman scores were achieved, including a distinguished score of 243 - Huzzah! 5 shooters are achieved the cold-bore challenge, hitting the "shingle" on the red coat target with their first shot of the string.

Overall, an amazing weekend with just stellar shooting by participants. Some of our events are already selling out so if you are interested in learning more about history and rifle marksmanship, please sign up! We also hope to announce our Rimfire Known Distance events over the next couple weeks, so stay tuned and subscribed.

A collection of Rifleman pics from the weekend as well as a cleaned Red Coat at the end for a 1st PA Rifle Regiment patch.

174855927_4202441856435356_5953914324006208556_n.jpg

175111488_4202441769768698_7367636292719873338_n.jpg

175937541_4211368545542687_8244696527342113929_n.jpg

175937541_4211368325542709_3411876517700909792_n.jpg

175695528_3904121213008946_5056515986818538617_n.jpg

175757949_3904121686342232_26781324117572548_n.jpg

174689978_3904130676341333_8093239533365511178_n.jpg

index.php

index.php

index.php

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    May and June Appleseed Clinics Filling Up Fast!

We are in peak nice weather season in Maryland and have FOUR clinics scheduled for May, with spots still available at two.

There are only 2 spots available at our May 8-9 rimfire and centerfire clinic at AGC in Marriottsville, MD. Weather looks to be PERFECT for shooting in the high 60s to low 70s with clouds but no rain.

We still have plenty of spaces on the line available for our May 15 rimfire and centerfire clinic at Sanner's Lake (SLSC) in Lexington Park, MD. So if you don't have a whole weekend, this might be a good option.

Our Annapolis event on May 22-23 has been sold out for a while and we also have a private "Mil-Seed" event on May 15. So busy times!

For June, we have only ONE spot available for our June 20 clinic at AAFG in Annapolis.

However, we still have plenty of room for our two half-day clinics on June 19. So if you only have a morning or afternoon to dedicate to learning marksmanship, we encourage you to sign up. The "Introduction to Project Appleseed" half-day clinics cover nearly all of the instruction we provide in a full clinic but focused on the prone position. While you cannot earn a Rifleman patch at a half day, it would be a great opportunity to see if Appleseed is for you, a friend, or a family member!

Hope to see you on the line!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Last call for the 2 spots available at our May 8-9 rimfire and centerfire clinic at AGC in Marriottsville, MD. Weather looks a little cooler but still perfect for shooting, with a low of 50 and a high of 60. A couple folks plan to bring out their ARs to get them some exercise. Ammo is short, but is life - might as well shoot it!

Our May and June clinics in Annapolis are now both sold out. We still have the two half-day events in Annapolis open if you want to just do a morning or afternoon of shooting on a Saturday with your family and friends.

But if you are still looking for that Rifleman patch, we also still have spots available for our Lexington Park one-day on May 15. Supposed to be highs in the low 70s that day...wish I could sign up as a shooter, but my loss is your gain!

Hope to see you on the line!

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    I'll be at ACG this weekend, very excited for my first time on the range, hopefully I'll be able to get me rifle scoped in before I arrive.

Quick question: I'm just trying to figure out what to wear, and wasn't sure what the Barnes Multi-Purpose Range was like. I know ACG has a number of covered ranges, just wasn't sure if I should be prepared to lather on the sunscreen or what.

Looking forward to breaking in my 10/22

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I'll be at ACG this weekend, very excited for my first time on the range, hopefully I'll be able to get me rifle scoped in before I arrive.

Quick question: I'm just trying to figure out what to wear, and wasn't sure what the Barnes Multi-Purpose Range was like. I know ACG has a number of covered ranges, just wasn't sure if I should be prepared to lather on the sunscreen or what.

Looking forward to breaking in my 10/22

Great to have you on the line! AGC is a covered range with a concrete pad. So you will be covered when shooting.

We will do the history and instruction off the line under the clear blue sky. We may also get a shower on Sunday morning. So layering and some rain gear is appropriate. I haven't needed sunscreen but YMMV.

Just know that the walk out to the target line can be wet and muddy - so appropriate boot/shoes are a must.

If you can't get zero'ed ahead of time, that is ok. But being on paper would be a good start :)

See you Saturday!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Here is a good picture that captures the covered nature of the AGC range...and the water that can pool on the way to the target line.

130252297_3546188122135592_8954172577780265007_n.jpg

fogman

Hey, I think I'm in that picture. Next to last shooter on the far end of the line, going for my third rifleman patch.
    My son and I have been to 3 Appleseed Shoots. We have both made rifleman and still look forward to signing up for another event. It's a great time, very instructional with a little history thrown in the mix.

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    AAR - AGC - May 8-9, 2021

Amazing class at AGC in Marriottsville, MD this past weekend.

Sat saw 15 shooters on the line (with 2 bowing out for other commitments at lunch time). While it was more rainy and cold than expected, great progress was made and the day ended with an AQT, on which, 3 shooters earned Rifleman.

Sunday saw 14 shooters return to the line for the "rifleman's grind" with AQTs between each mandatory cease fire. By days end, another 6 shooters earned Rifleman, for a total of 9 out of 15 earning Rifleman (60% success rate). And 6 of those 9 were new Rifleman - Huzzah!

Highlights include 16 year old brand new shooter Madeline D earning Rifleman AND cleaning the Red Coat on her last targets, youth phenom 11 year old Eva, scoring scores in 222 thru 231 repeatedly, Jim scoring Distinguished with irons and cleaning the Red Coat to earn his Distinguished Front Site Patch, just to name a few.

It was great to see so many new shooters breakthrough at the event to earn their Rifleman and Front Sight patches (8 cleaned Red Coats during the weekend), as well as to see experienced folks requalify. We had one shooter that started off-paper and made Rifleman at the end. And folks who didn't qualify still made significant progress and were typically in the 180s and within a better Stage 4 of qualifying. We hope everyone comes to a future event!

Thank you to all the students, volunteers (including Mark visiting from Kentucky!), and host club AGC for another amazing event.

Pictures are available on the Maryland Appleseed Facebook Page.

Our next event at AGC is in September but plenty of events before then at our other ranges. Hope to see you on the line.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    A wonderful day on the line with 8 members of the Maryland Air National Guard for a day of marksmanship and history. Our hosts were the Gunpowder Military Reservation National Guard training range in Glen Arm, MD (outside of Baltimore), and it was beauty! Covered line, target stands, great quiet environment.

Saturday started sunny and stayed sunny, with ideal temperatures in the 70s for most of the day. After we finished all of our admin and safety rules, the Wing kicked off the first Hits Count (Redcoat) target of the day. It was clear that many Wing members knew what they were about but that we needed to get good zeros on rifles and quickly get less experienced shooters up to speed. The rest of the morning was spent on squares targets, tightening groups with loop slings, prone steady hold factors, the 6 steps to firing a shot, and NPOA. It was great to see groups shrink from multiple inches to an inch or less, allowing us to use IMC to make sighing adjustments.

Lunch took us through the first two strikes of the match, with the colonists causing the British to retreat from the North Bridge and Smith abandoning his dead and wounded there.

After lunch, we launched into demonstrations and practice of Seated and Standing positions. Shooters showed real proficiency in both, with the Shoot Boss noting several 49 scores in standing practice.

It was then time to hang our first AQT of the day. Results were quite good, with several shooters thwarted by malfunctions in various stages. We posted a second AQT, used the sighter square to confirm zeros (as people had changed rifles due to problems) and this time we had Mike not only breakthrough with a Rifleman patch, but earn his Distinguished tab with a 230 using iron sights - Huzzah!

The final Red Coat target showed significant improvement, with shooters moving up at least a level. Shermeen, who was not an experienced shooter, was particularly impressive on the last target, coming within one hit of cleaning the target with a shot in the 400 yard just outside the 30-cal radius but nailing the shingle.

Seeing the groups during practice, I believe we would have had even more Rifleman and cleaned Red Coats but folks were thwarted by various malfunctions. I know they were frustrating, but we appreciated the persistence and hope they will come to a future event.

We wrapped up they day with the 3rd strike of the match, our benediction, patches, and some 7th stepping before departing.

Many thanks to Applecore Bravo_Alex for organizing the event for his Wing and to Monkey for driving many hours to work the event with me. These Mil-Seed events are so meaningful to the instructors and the program. We hope to make this an annual event (if not more) and use these seven shooters as our evangelists to get more folks out!

Hope to have a set of pictures privately posted for the Wing members soon. A couple pics below:

uc

uc

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    AAFG AAR May 22-23 - Boy Scouts!

We had 16 shooters, most young and new, from Boy Scout Troop 680 that persevered through a couple of hot sticky days to learn new marksmanship skills.

WhyWon and kniwolf's telling of the three strikes brought the events of April 19,1775 to life. We shot 4 Redcoat targets over the weekend and a couple came within one shot of clearing it.

On day two, we setup some dummy rifles and as students arrived, each took turns practicing NPOA and carding sights. The benefits of this drill became apparent to shooters as they witnessed their shot groups immediately shrink. All learned the fundamentals. Now you have something to show your family and friends.

All learned and demonstrated tremendous improvement. But the heat was a factor and wore on students and instructors. Although we made no new riflemen this weekend, our message was not lost on this proud group of Americans.

Many thanks to our instructors and volunteers and congrats to Agent711 for taking (hopefully) the final step to Shoot Boss. And thanks to the shooters for remaining focused and not giving up. You should all be proud of yourselves. Huzzah!

Pics can be found on our Maryland Appleseed Facebook page.

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Hey Ikaros240, you can find more about Project Appleseed on the website. But, TLDR, we are a non-profit that offers marksmanship clinics and early American Revolutionary War history to shooters of all ages and skill levels. Each clinic is typically between 8 and 20 shooters supported by 3-5 instructors.

It is in the competitive shooting forum...well, it what here when I got here but (1) you can earn your Rifleman patch by shooting expert on our qualification target and (2) it is a great gateway to various competitions that use 3 position shooting.

Maryland has a very active program, with weekend events at ranges around the state (and nearby in adjoining states) and about 200-300 participants per year. A description of our range of events is in the first post of the thread here and you can get info on upcoming Maryland events here.

It is a great way to meet other shooters in the area and get a feel for ranges before joining as well. Many members of Maryland Shooters have been to Appleseed events as well.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I have seen other names in other states. I am glad it seems to be throughout the country.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Oh yeah, definitely nationwide. In the last two years I have worked and/or attended shoots in PA, VA, WV, and NC, as well as with instructors from other states (KY, NY, TX) who were visiting Maryland.

Took me awhile to "lurking" an reading AARs here on MD Shooters to go to my first event back in 2018 but it has been very rewarding ever since.

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    Just wanted to drop by and give my thumbs up to Appleseed! I attended a few weeks ago and it was basically my first time shooting a rifle in 20 years, with basically my only other experience shooting cans once at my grandfathers. Excellent personalized instruction, attend with an open mind and even you can become a Rifleman!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Mid-year Update, Summer Seeds, and Future Plans!

Wow, what a start to 2021 in Maryland!

So far we have had 15 events (12 of which were sold out or nearly so) in Maryland and very close by in WV and PA, 154 students, 37 Riflemen, and 6 Distinguished shooters.

When you consider that last year at this time we had only held 4 events (combined with 7 cancelled events due to COVID) this has already been a very successful year!

As temperatures increase, we are now entering "Summer Seed" season focused on 1/2 day and 1 day events. Our June 20 event at AAFG is already sold out so if you are interested in joining us this summer, sign up soon!

Our next event with slots is a Saturday afternoon rimfire-only half-day Introduction to Appleseed event at AAFG in Annapolis on June 19. This would be a great event for bringing friends and family members who are interested in learning more about Marksmanship but don't want to commit to an early morning and a long day.

We then have spots open for our July 17 one-day rimfire-only clinic at AAFG in Annapolis. Surrounded by woods and trees and with a covered line, AAFG is a great summer event host.

Sanners in Lexington Park is hosting a one-day centerfire and rimfire clinic on July 31. Sanners has been been a very gracious host for many years but we really need to fill the line to be invited back in the future. So if you want Appleseed to continue in Southern Maryland, help us send a message by signing up!

Finally, we wrap up the summer months at AAFG in Annapolis with a one-day rimfire only event on August 21.

Once we launch into September, we will end the year with 11-14 clinics including half-days, one-days, two-days, rimfire known distance (200 yards), and maybe (fingers crossed) our first Maryland Patriot Pistol event. While not all of these events are on the calendar yet, we are targeting October and November for those special clinics. Everything else schedule-wise can be found here.

With all of these events, don't let lack of equipment, ammo, skill, or experience stop you from signing up. We can work with you on all of these. And if you are an experienced shooter, I think you will find you still get a lot out of the events.

Always happy to answer any questions and hope to see you on the line!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom