• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I have been looking more into the 1911's and think I've really narrowed it down to what I would want. Stainless or blued steel, long beaver tail, skeleton trigger, 45acp/9mm and 5in barrel, I never realized how customization can be done to them. I've been looking at some of the cheaper brand names (Ruger, Taurus, Remington) as well as some of the off brands (rock island,irves Johnson, Springfield armory) and I think if I can't get a good used 1911, those might be decent alternatives. I would love to get your opinions on Citadel, SDS, Kimber, and Essex arm's.

Of the ones you list, I own both the Ruger full size 45 and Springfield Defender 45. Both have been flawless. The Ruger comes with the features you're looking for. The Springer is more GI-ish and I bought it for that reason.

Various friends of mine have the SDS and several different Rock Islands and I have shot all of them. The RIs are amazing for the price point. I really like them and would definitely buy if in the market. The one SDS runs well too. Regarding your grouping of brands above, I would take a RI before any Taurus or Remington 1911. Off brand or not. Also, there are many Kimbers. None of them really in the price range of the others. Only handled Kimbers, never shot them. Not impressed really.

My 2 cents.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey guys just wanted to give an update. Have been traveling to my local shops and got a chance to hold some handguns (sadly didn't get to fire them). I'm fairly impressed with the RIA's, Springfield's and a few others, the 1911, is still the top runner, though I will say my list of desired firearms has grown. I got to handle a stainless steel Kimber 1911, though it fit my hand, I'm surprised I didn't like the way it felt, it felt to light, like I was holding a pellet gun, not sure if that's common for stainless frames. The only other stainless I handled, was a Barrett and it had good weight to it.
    I'm also considering a Beretta mod.92/96 (96 is apparently the 45acp version), surprised I could reach the slide release when I had trouble doing so on the mod.84. Also really considering a Taurus PT-92 (I believe that's the name), to me it's like they mashed together a 92 and a 1911, so I really like that pistol, if I could get it in a 45acp under like 600 I'd die and go to heaven.
    I'm going to apologize right now to those that love this gun for what I'm about to say. I don't like Glocks. I got to hold a few different ones, not sure of all the models, they have nice grips, fit extremely well......but I just don't like the way it feels, it feels very top heavy to me and I'm not a fan of it sadly. I see how they are nice and I know they fire nicely (took my HQL live fire with it) but it just feels off to me.
    I'm looking also into getting a revolver (classic 38sp is my main thought or a 45) to have in my study/game room. Got to hold a S&W mod 3/Schofield really like the action so that's a thought, and a few old colts and rugers.
    But these I'm more considering as a back up HD firearms right behind the 16ga semi and 44mag carbine.
    I'm still cruising some forums and YouTube reviews for ideas and advice. Would love to get your guys thoughts on Citadel, SDS, Essex arm's, American tactical and girsan. Are they good,worth the money or just simply stay away from them?

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey guys just wanted to give an update. Have been traveling to my local shops and got a chance to hold some handguns (sadly didn't get to fire them). I'm fairly impressed with the RIA's, Springfield's and a few others, the 1911, is still the top runner, though I will say my list of desired firearms has grown. I got to handle a stainless steel Kimber 1911, though it fit my hand, I'm surprised I didn't like the way it felt, it felt to light, like I was holding a pellet gun, not sure if that's common for stainless frames. The only other stainless I handled, was a Barrett and it had good weight to it.
    I'm also considering a Beretta mod.92/96 (96 is apparently the 45acp version), surprised I could reach the slide release when I had trouble doing so on the mod.84. Also really considering a Taurus PT-92 (I believe that's the name), to me it's like they mashed together a 92 and a 1911, so I really like that pistol, if I could get it in a 45acp under like 600 I'd die and go to heaven.
    I'm going to apologize right now to those that love this gun for what I'm about to say. I don't like Glocks. I got to hold a few different ones, not sure of all the models, they have nice grips, fit extremely well......but I just don't like the way it feels, it feels very top heavy to me and I'm not a fan of it sadly. I see how they are nice and I know they fire nicely (took my HQL live fire with it) but it just feels off to me.
    I'm looking also into getting a revolver (classic 38sp is my main thought or a 45) to have in my study/game room. Got to hold a S&W mod 3/Schofield really like the action so that's a thought, and a few old colts and rugers.
    But these I'm more considering as a back up HD firearms right behind the 16ga semi and 44mag carbine.
    I'm still cruising some forums and YouTube reviews for ideas and advice. Would love to get your guys thoughts on Citadel, SDS, Essex arm's, American tactical and girsan. Are they good,worth the money or just simply stay away from them?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Are you certain that it was fully stainless and not an aluminum frame? Kimber makes them that have stainless slides and silver finished aluminum frames.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Are you certain that it was fully stainless and not an aluminum frame? Kimber makes them that have stainless slides and silver finished aluminum frames.

I thought the guy said it was stainless, but as I said besides the Beretta I handled just after the Kimber, I've never handled another stainless frame pistol. I believe the tag said $750, not sure if that helps. It was the commander edition, done up pretty nice, skeleton trigger, upgraded sights, beaver tail. I didn't actually know they did aluminum frames for those, thought was more of a S&W or Glock thing, or some of the more tactical smaller semi's.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought the guy said it was stainless, but as I said besides the Beretta I handled just after the Kimber, I've never handled another stainless frame pistol. I believe the tag said $750, not sure if that helps. It was the commander edition, done up pretty nice, skeleton trigger, upgraded sights, beaver tail. I didn't actually know they did aluminum frames for those, thought was more of a S&W or Glock thing, or some of the more tactical smaller semi's.
    The guy behind the counter might not have known much about the pistol other than the fact that it was a Kimber and it looked like it was stainless.

Telling us that it was a Commander leads me to believe that it was aluminum framed because a Commander is cut down in size specifically to carry - cutting weight by making the frame aluminum rather than steel is considered a good thing on a carry pistol.

I once looked at a CZ pistol and was surprised at how much it weighed because it was a steel frame, and I was expecting it to be lighter. They make models with aluminum frames that are considerably lighter.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

The Beretta 96 is the .40 s&w variant, as is the Taurus PT 100 & 101. Unfortunately I don't believe you'll find a .45 acp version of either.

I have the same feeling about Glocks, and all polymer frame handguns in general, to be honest. Nothing against them or anyone that owns them, I just don't care for them. I own 2 polymer frame handguns. Not coincidentally, there are exactly 2 handguns I own that I would consider selling some day. The rest my kids will have to fight over, or put on consignment some day. :)

I suggest you handle a few CZ-75's, full sized and compact, and see how they feel. The CZ P01 (a version of the CZ-75 compact) is almost a perfect gun to me. Melts in my hand, small enough to CC and hide under a loose T shirt, unlike most subcompacts it feels large enough to be a primary HD firearm, and has a rail if you want a light on your nightstand gun. 15 rounds standard, or can be 17 or 19 rounds if you use a full size mag, although it will stick out a bit.

Similar in size to a Glock 19. Slightly shorter and slightly wider. Much better balance and more ergonomic, at least in my hand.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g19-gen5-vs-cz-p-01

If you want a .45 there's the CZ 97 B or BD. I handled one new in a shop last spring that was going for $700. Unfortunately I passed on it and it would probably be listed for a bit more now, if I were able to find one.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I once looked at a CZ pistol and was surprised at how much it weighed because it was a steel frame, and I was expecting it to be lighter. They make models with aluminum frames that are considerably lighter.

Their compact models are mostly, if not all, alloy frames. 2075 RAMI, PCR, P-01 and P-06 are. Not sure about the various full sized 75s, but I know the CZ-97 (the .45 acp model) has a steel frame, and it is a heavy beast.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I own both a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm (Commander size) and a Colt Competition model in .45ACP (full size). The DW costs a lot more than the Colt and its shorter barrel and alloy frame make it better and more comfortable in IWB carry than a full size 1911. I also carry an HK USP-Compact in either .357Sig, .40S&W, or 9mm depending on how I feel that day. I have a Glock 43 for deeper CCW that I carry more often these days. With the right ammo they all work, provided you practice enough to be able to hit your target with regularity.
    There is a pawn shop near me with a Glock 41 in it I am thinking about. Not for carry as its about the same length as a 34/35 or a 17L, but for competition due to the longer sight radius over a 5" 1911.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Good choosin’. Despite the naysayers every 1911 I bought has run right out of the box.
    I, too, have a difficult time with the Glock grip angle and it’s tiny trigger guard window. I can’t deny the Glock is a good gun. I also don’t care for poly pistols in general...a personal non-preference.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    Hey man if you want to truly go balls to the wall and flex on pretty much everyone you will meet, the Laugo Alien is in stock at Lancer Tactical

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    The Beretta 96 is the .40 s&w variant, as is the Taurus PT 100 & 101. Unfortunately I don't believe you'll find a .45 acp version of either.

I may have not heard him correctly then on the 96, he may have also been wrong, he was the same guy that said the Kimber commander was stainless steel. Yeah I've been looking around and it seems the Taurus 92 is only in the 9mm and I think I saw one in 380 ACP. I would be happy with the 9 or the 380 version of the Taurus. Everyone tells me the 40 S&W is a good round but they also say it's expensive, that the 45 and 9mm are cheaper and provide a similar shooting experience and ballistic.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

I may have not heard him correctly then on the 96, he may have also been wrong, he was the same guy that said the Kimber commander was stainless steel. Yeah I've been looking around and it seems the Taurus 92 is only in the 9mm and I think I saw one in 380 ACP. I would be happy with the 9 or the 380 version of the Taurus.

The PT100 and 101 are the .40 cal version of the PT92, but I don't know how common they are, or if they are even still made. I considered buying one many years ago. It looks like there is a .380 version, the PT58. I wasn't aware of that one.

My first handgun was a Taurus PT1911, and I've had a good experience with it, but many others have complained about problems with Taurus handguns. It seems they can make good quality products, but with not so good QC, so the results can be hit or miss. I'm not sure I would recommend one unless someone was buying it for a range toy and already had a reliable option for home defense use.

Everyone tells me the 40 S&W is a good round but they also say it's expensive, that the 45 and 9mm are cheaper and provide a similar shooting experience and ballistic.

I have all 3. .45 is not cheaper than .40, at least in normal times. Now it depends mostly upon what you can find. As far as price, the differences are not that great, but 9mm is cheaper than .40 s&w which is cheaper than .45.

The differences in shooting experiences are not all that much either, but they are noticable. .40 has a snappier recoil than 9mm. .45 also has more recoil than 9m, but its more of a push than a snap.

Since you seem to be looking mostly at full sized, steel or alloy framed handguns, recoil is probably not going to be a significant problem with any of the three.

I still suggest you check out a few CZ's. It sounds like we have similar tastes... my first handgun purchase was a toss up between a 1911, Beretta 92, and Sig P226. After a lot of other purchases, including more 1911s, a P226, and a P229, I still like all of those very much; but if I could have only one handgun it would be a CZ P-01.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I'm with the don't like Glocks crowd. Still, I own a 17 and a 19, because they are so common and I can expect parts to be available for them for pretty much forever. They are accurate and reliable. But they are also kinda icky. Actually...I don't really like any striker fired pistol (I also have a SIG 365), though I can't articulate why outside of saying that they just don't feel right.

Of the handguns I own, probably my favorite is the Sig SP2022. It's polymer framed, hammer fired, 9mm. SIG calls it a full size, but comparing it to my Glock 17 or Beretta 92 I feel it is better called a compact. I haven't seen one for sale in a while, and hope they are still being made, but it was pretty reasonably priced (well under $500 when I bought it, OMG, a decade or more ago). This gun shoots wonderfully, fits my hand perfectly, and is over all pretty much the best thing I have ever laid my hands on, especially for the price. I went to PA to load up on standard cap magazines some time back and couldn't find any; but I'm sure they are out there some where. It is just hard to get them here in MD when you can't order them online to your doorstep.

For ammo, 9mm is best in my oh so humble opinion. Generally affordable and available (the current ammo situation not withstanding). All my handguns are loaded with either 124gr Gold Dot or Federal HST.

If you want a 1911, I can't really blame you. They feel good in my hand. .45 will get the job done. It's single action, which I'm not sure I want for a home defense gun, though others feel fine with it. Probably a training issue on my part. I don't own one, but I eventually will. I figure I'll save up some cheddar and get a good one. It's a manly gun. But for home defense I personally will stick with the 9s.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey guys just wanted to give you an update on things. So been visiting the shops in my area and the auction sites, and my hunt is finally over. Purchased a new old stock Iver Johnson 1911, standard blueing, 5in barrel with all the upgrades (Beaver tail safety, skeleton trigger, novack sights), case and paperwork with it. Got it for the amazing price of $500, it'll be closer to 625 with all the fees and shipping but still a steal for the price. I'll post up pictures once it arrives. Planning to switch the grips to these after market ones, checkered rosewood with mother of pearl in lays. You can never have just one though,so I'll probably be on the hunt again soon, this time I'll be looking for a S&W M&P shield in 45 or 9mm and a S&W model 3 in either 45 or 38spl

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    It may have taken me forever but finally got around to posting pics of the 45. Taken it to the range twice now blown threw about 150rds and has run beautifully.

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_094446884.jpg
      IMG_20211005_094446884.jpg
      69.8 KB · Views: 131
    • IMG_20211005_094457891.jpg
      IMG_20211005_094457891.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members