• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    For those that wet tumble, do you use stainless pins or just liquid?
    If you use stainless pins what is the best way to seperate the pins from brass?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I use pins. I’ve got a manual rotary case separator that I use to separate the pins.
    https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/cleaning/rotary-case/media-separator/16-87076.html
    I also use a #30 mesh screen for panning gold to get the majority of the liquid out as I try to run clean water into the tumbler drum. There’s not to many pins that end up in the screen but enough that when I drain/clean the water the loss of pins can add up over time.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I stopped using SS pins. 4 capfuls of armorall wax and shine and 3 9mm scoops of lemishine tumbling wet for 40 mins gets them really shiny and clean.

I use this frankford arsenal media separator if I do use SS pins. Its works great in separating the pins from the brass and containing them within the enclosure. I still use it to tumble out any water left in the cases before I towel dry them.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016958652

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm curious.
    What, if any, benefits does wet tumbling have over using dry media method?

The drying process seems like an extra step?

Ive found that wet tumbling cleans the inside of the cases as well as the primer pockets far better than dry tumbling.
    As far as separating the pins, the best method I have found is what was already mentioned...a media separator. I also utilize a transfer magnet by running it across the top of cases that I set upright...it gets pins that may not have fell out during the separator operation. Wet tumbling is more time consuming, but it’s cleaner(no dust) and I like how clean and shiny the cases are. I use a Lee universal decapping die to decap all brass, wet tumble, dry, then size.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I use pins. I’ve got a manual rotary case separator that I use to separate the pins.
    https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/cleaning/rotary-case/media-separator/16-87076.html
    I also use a #30 mesh screen for panning gold to get the majority of the liquid out as I try to run clean water into the tumbler drum. There’s not to many pins that end up in the screen but enough that when I drain/clean the water the loss of pins can add up over time.

This is what I do as well. My Lyman tumbler (https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7631550-Cyclone-Rotary-Tumbler/dp/B01A3PNX1E) came with the screen.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I use 1/8" SS diagonals like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0187PJ59G You can find them cheaper on eBay or other sources though.

I use these because pins can get stuck in cases and bust decapping die pins if you tumble before decapping. The diagonals are also easier to remove from cases (never had one stuck in a case neck like the thin pins do) and are small and pointy enough to clean primer pockets thoroughly.

I use about 1/2 tsp of Lemi Shine and a squirt (pump dispenser) of 3D wash and wax. The small amount of wax will keep the brass from immediately tarnishing.

I use a lanolin-based lubricant for resizing and find that Woolite removes it very well if necessary (after doing lots of tumbling it tends to build-up).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm curious.

It makes the cases bright and shiny.

I don't see a use for it.

Primer pockets don't get dirtier and dirtier. Each firing blows out most of the old crude, so once fired, they stay the same. I have pistol cases I have reloaded well over 10 times without any primer pocket cleaning. NO issues.

There are even some evidence that overcleaning the inside of rifle case necks can lead to inconsistent bullet pull force.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Whats involved in the drying process?

I'm considering the wet method to keep the entire reloading process indoors. With my current dry method, I tumble outdoors to lower the lead dust inside the house.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    This is what I do as well. My Lyman tumbler (https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7631550-Cyclone-Rotary-Tumbler/dp/B01A3PNX1E) came with the screen.

I wish the tumbler you run would have been on my radar when I bought my thumblers tumbler model B, definitely like the incorporated screen. I might look into selling my tumbler and getting one like yours or a little different model like one of these.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/ca...-series-rotary-tumbler-7l/909544.html#start=1

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Brass gets clean enough on the outside without using the pins. My friend does that with pistol brass.

I'm curious.

Lead residue from primers goes down the drain.

I can also throw muddy brass into the tumbler with just water for half an hour before I flush it out and add pins and soap with clean water.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I no longer use SS pins. I did for about a year. My method was picking up each case one by one from the tumbler and lifting out with case mouth down.

Yes, inside of case and primer pockets clean.

I do wet tumble with a drop of dish soap and lemi shine if I want the outsides to look good.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I'm curious.

The biggest takeaway to me is the fact that wet tumbling contains all the dust and other nasties suspended in the cleaning solution, making easier and safer to handle and dispose of (in a user perspective, environmentally questionable, but that's getting in a tangent)

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Whats involved in the drying process?

I'm considering the wet method to keep the entire reloading process indoors. With my current dry method, I tumble outdoors to lower the lead dust inside the house.
    Towel dry with 2 sets of towels with the boat method to remove excess moisture, then stick it in in the oven at 170 for an hour.
    536b07b03b78147e73a2d21588e8d71f.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I've run a Frankford arsenal with ss pins for a few years now. As others mentioned a media separator makes quick work of the pins and I dry mine in a dehydrator. It's about a 2-2.5hr process for 400 or so 308 or similar sized cartridges from into the tumbler to dry and ready to go. I've used a oven and even placed them on a pan next to a woodstove to dry out. I've made it a habit to pass over cleaned brass with a Strong magnet to cull out any cases that might contain a pin.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I wish the tumbler you run would have been on my radar when I bought my thumblers tumbler model B, definitely like the incorporated screen. I might look into selling my tumbler and getting one like yours or a little different model like one of these.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/ca...-series-rotary-tumbler-7l/909544.html#start=1

I got the lyman when I saw it on sale for $139. It's been a workhorse. No leaks, which is a common thing I had seen in some reviews. Not on mine. I almost bought the FART, but the sale on the Lyman changed my mind. I like the sifter too. You can get one of those separate if you can find it in stock.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've mostly been one who doesn't see the need to wet tumble - it seems like a fair amount of extra work to get cases a degree of clean/shiny that really isn't necessary, and as others have pointed out, getting primer pockets clean isn't really a factor. I tend to dry tumble prior to reloading, so I don't even have to worry about media getting into the primer pocket.

What I don't like about dry tumbling is the dust, especially with my primary media choice - walnut lizard litter. This isn't my #1 pick - I actually prefer crushed corn cob - but I use it because it's cheap and easy to get at the PetSmart that's 5 minutes from the house.

I'm not worried so much about lead in the dust - you gotta figure that most of the time, unless you're shooting cast lead bullets that lead probably isn't much of a factor. However, the dust, which contains all manner of other things, probably isn't good for you.

So I'm curious about it, but not absolutely sold. On the Reloaders group I'm a part of on Facebook, a lot of the guys aren't even using pins anymore - they say there's no need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom