• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    General George Patton who had some experience with battles and battle rifles had some thoughts on the matter.

General George S. Patton had the highest praise for the semi-automatic rifle designed by John C. Garand and adopted by the U.S. Army in 1936. A generation of young Americans literally saved the world from unspeakable evil—one eight-round en bloc clip at a time—with this rifle.

General Patton wrote a letter to Springfield Armory that has given us one of the most memorable gun quotes of all time: “In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
    From an article in American Rifleman.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/10/handling-general-george-s-patton-s-m1-garand/

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ...I suspect the highest performer would be (an AR-308 based on my experience, probably followed by) the Galil ACE.

:lol: :thumbsup: :party29: :innocent0

I went with the pistol w folding brace , ymmv depending on your “battles”.....

Attachments

• DC972244-6561-4625-9DB0-85C7034D02A5.jpeg
      DC972244-6561-4625-9DB0-85C7034D02A5.jpeg
      12.7 KB · Views: 389
    • 08969362-BC41-4818-8CD3-CF9F959BFEB6.jpeg
      08969362-BC41-4818-8CD3-CF9F959BFEB6.jpeg
      10 KB · Views: 389

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    General George Patton who had some experience with battles and battle rifles had some thoughts on the matter.

From an article in American Rifleman.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/10/handling-general-george-s-patton-s-m1-garand/

I think the M1 Garand is the most magnificent rifle ever designed...power...accuracy...and very satisfying to shoot. But...the fact is for modern military tactics it's obsolete. But for the individual...it's as relevant as ever. A M1-A with its larger magazine capacity is fine...same with AR-10 designs or other 7.62 rifles...just saying the Garand is still a very viable rifle for personal defense even if obsolete in military terms.

It has Clint Eastwood's approval for that!

Last edited:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    OP, I’ve read every post in this thread.
    IMNSHO, there are some GREAT responses.

I don’t know your age or physical attributes/health.

I’m 66 years old, and my body isn’t what it used to be.
    Right this minute, the LAST firearm “MBR” that I’d choose, is my beloved M1A.
    I LOVE this rifle, but, it’s a HEAVY beast at 2 ounces less than 15 lbs., empty!!

I own from ‘03 Springfield, M1 Garand, M1A, AR-15, M4 CLONE(s), and a DPMS AR-308.

Speaking only for ME, I’d suggest in this order:

DPMS/SR-25 design in .308
    AR-15 (yes, I’m fully aware it’s NOT a MBR). I wouldn’t hesitate to use/carry mine w/69 gr or 77 gr ammo.
    Polytech M14 (and have a GOOD gunsmith do the bolt conversion/fix).
    I’m not sure about the legality of replacing the 22” barrel with a “Scout” barrel, but, IF it were legal, I’d surely do it.

I'm in the same boat with you. Though I have my James River M14 already so don't need the Polytech product. AFA that goes I'd concur the AR10/SR25 would be my choice in a MBR at this point in time given the constraints time has placed upon me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Seen this on another site. Pretty dismal pile of battle rifles to pick through.
    Center frame right below the busted stock Im not sure what the black dot(s) are on the lower swivels.
    The one on top still has the sight protector in place and I noticed some of the keepers but not all are pushed onto the sling frog or towards the D ring. Maybe just ended up that way when salvaged or carried out.
    The poster indicated photo was from New Guinea 1943.

riflepilejpgresize6442C600-1.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seen this on another site. Pretty dismal pile of battle rifles to pick through.
    Center frame right below the busted stock Im not sure what the black dot(s) are on the lower swivels.
    The one on top still has the sight protector in place and I noticed some of the keepers but not all are pushed onto the sling frog or towards the D ring. Maybe just ended up that way when salvaged or carried out.
    The poster indicated photo was from New Guinea 1943.

View attachment 291304

BAR rear swivel(I noticed a BAR in the pic).

Attachments

• 20oct17_1918-8239_mid02.jpg
      20oct17_1918-8239_mid02.jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 298

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    SKS would be first pick for value, for heavier hitting Surplus ammo shooting cheaper I’d say an FN49 in 8mm is nice and battle proven.

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    What it says, I'm game for anything auto-loading, chambered in .308 / 7.62. I know there have been some threads on this topic before, but I wanted some fresh opinions on definitive MD compliant battle rifle choices.

Battle Rifle is like Assault Rifle is like Deer Rifle.

No such thing.

Are you planning to go "into battle"? Are you Meal Team Six?

Fire arms are tools. Hammers. Buy the correct tool for the job you want to do.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Battle Rifle is like Assault Rifle is like Deer Rifle.

No such thing.

Are you planning to go "into battle"? Are you Meal Team Six?

Fire arms are tools. Hammers. Buy the correct tool for the job you want to do.

Unlike “assault rifle”, I have always held the belief that a battle rifle was defined. It is a military rifle firing a full powered rifle cartridge.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hehe, OP, get a 2020 Garand in ‘06!

https://www.cdnnsports.com/noreen-bn-36x3-carbine-30-06.html?___SID=U#.XvsDHi1q2hA

NOREEN BN 36X3 CARBINE 30-06
    Action: Direct Gas Impingement - Side Charging • Finish: Anodized Black • Barrel Length: 16" 1:10" Twist • Trigger: Mil-Spec • Muzzle Brake: Noreen Design 5/8-24 Thread • Sights: None - Mil-Std 1913 Rail • Magazine(s): 1-20 Round • Stock: Adjustable 6-Position • Weight: 7 lbs.

Noreen BN36X3 Carbine ( 30-06 semi auto) AR-10 is the new-age battle ready M1 Garand in the tried and true 30-06 Springfield cartridge. Light and maneuverable for the most extreme tasks. Weighs pounds less than the old M1 Garand.

Our carbine version of the BN36 is everything you would expect it to be. We took our beloved BN36 and scaled it down to a smaller version, creating a .30-06 that is not only easy to wield and maneuver, but has more practical applications when taking it out in the field.
    “Sorry but this page does not exist”

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom