MSP Licensing takes too long to generate two-factor email?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Did a search but am probably using the wrong terms. I'm trying to do a 77R, done plenty before, but for whatever reason the "Account Access Activation" email doesn't get to my email until it's too late. Been trying for two days now.

The email provider registered with MSP is Yahoo! if that matters. Other emails get to me just fine. It's not an issue of them going to Spam/Junk; it just doesn't get to my mailbox in time. 30 minutes to 9 hours delay.

I can't register another email, because MSP only allows one per Driver License.

Anyone else having this issue recently?

Ideas?

DigDug

Oct 21, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Did a search but am probably using the wrong terms. I'm trying to do a 77R, done plenty before, but for whatever reason the "Account Access Activation" email doesn't get to my email until it's too late. Been trying for two days now.

The email provider registered with MSP is Yahoo! if that matters. Other emails get to me just fine. It's not an issue of them going to Spam/Junk; it just doesn't get to my mailbox in time. 30 minutes to 9 hours delay.

I can't register another email, because MSP only allows one per Driver License.

Anyone else having this issue recently?

Ideas?

Just completed one myself. Everything was nearly instantaneous as far as emails go. I suspect your email server is the issue but I don't know. Best of luck.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Just completed one myself. Everything was nearly instantaneous as far as emails go. I suspect your email server is the issue but I don't know. Best of luck.
    Good to know, thanks.

Unfortunately it looks like I can't reset my account, without using that email! :sad20:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    At work we use email as a 2nd factor for some things. Have found that if you send a email from the account you are expecting the email to be going to it comes in quicker.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    At work we use email as a 2nd factor for some things. Have found that if you send a email from the account you are expecting the email to be going to it comes in quicker.
    Thanks. Sending and receiving to/from any other address aren't an issue with this account. I got the auto-reply from the Registration address pretty quickly.

I've added the emails as contacts, maybe that will help...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yesterday I was helping a customer who just received his HQL to set up his first 77R and had issues with receiving email. After 20 minutes of trying several things, I did a Live Help chat with the State Police. I was told they had a 'ticket' in on this issue (a help desk ticket, presumably). Apparently there was a system issue with people who had email addresses other than gmail....which is interesting since it was often gmail that Police had issues with in the past. It was suggested to setup a free gmail for the customer and change the customer's email address to his new gmail. That has to be done with the State Police themselves. I did just that, then it worked like a champ. Everything happened in minutes at that point. You do have to login to use the Live feature which I did with our store signin. You would probably need to call and ask for Firearms Registration Section

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    sxs said:
    It was suggested to setup a free gmail for the customer and change the customer's email address to his new gmail. That has to be done with the State Police themselves. I did just that, then it worked like a champ. Everything happened in minutes at that point. You do have to login to use the Live feature which I did with our store signin. You would probably need to call and ask for Firearms Registration Section
    Ugh, so I have to navigate the phone system...

Thanks for that info though!

Last edited:

TACAV

Aug 6, 2008
    Im getting the same problem (yahoo email account that has worked several times beforehand with no problem).

MSP web portal was completely down this morning and when it finally came back up now I get the delayed secondary authentication email problem... it takes over an hour to get the verification code and by then its expired and no longer valid... cant log in...

You cant call their help number because its a looped pre recorded message telling you to email someone so I sent them an e mail and got the automated response of someone might contact you over the next two days.

-UPDATE

My FFL contacted MSP Live Chat and they said they are aware of the problem and it is mainly affecting people with Yahoo or AOL email accounts.

My FFL was able to change my licensing division account associated email with a gmail account which is what they want you to use. And all is good again.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Im getting the same problem (yahoo email account that has worked several times beforehand with no problem).

MSP web portal was completely down this morning and when it finally came back up now I get the delayed secondary authentication email problem... it takes over an hour to get the verification code and by then its expired and no longer valid... cant log in...

You cant call their help number because its a looped pre recorded message telling you to email someone so I sent them an e mail and got the automated response of someone might contact you over the next two days.

-UPDATE

My FFL contacted MSP Live Chat and they said they are aware of the problem and it is mainly affecting people with Yahoo or AOL email accounts.

My FFL was able to change my licensing division account associated email with a gmail account which is what they want you to use. And all is good again.

this!!!

had my account with msp changed from a yahoo account to another for this exact same reason. got my emails immediately afterwards.

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I had exactly the same problem today with my Yahoo account. Was able to sign in on a different machine (go figure) and switched my account to my GMail address. Everything was almost instantaneous after that.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide

Exact same issue I had.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I had exactly the same problem today with my Yahoo account. Was able to sign in on a different machine (go figure) and switched my account to my GMail address. Everything was almost instantaneous after that.
    After two days of battling, finally a few emails made it to my Yahoo! Account and I was able to change it to my gmail.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice! :party29:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So now to exercise your 2nd amendment rights you need the Government Approved email vendor.

I will bet cash money that the MSP's web infrastructure does NOT attempt to directly deliver email to your mailbox. They very likely relay it through a third party mail delivery service, as most do. That third party service is probably having a hard time getting Yahoo/AOL to immediately accept delivery attempts. Yahoo may have started to distrust the relay operation's IP address(es), and in an attempt to fend off what it may have seen as a source of spam, deliberately refused first delivery attempts ... causing the mail to get queued up and delivered later - sometimes hours/days later.

Yes, I deal with this stuff professionally. Getting email reliably delivered on the fly costs real money. I probably spend $1300 a month in relay services so my clients' web sites can promptly deliver shopping notices, password resets, etc.

If the MSP is having trouble promptly delivering, you can bet their managed hosting provider was spending a lot of time looking at SMTP relay logs to figure out where the bottleneck was. The stuff that was getting immediately delivered to GMAIL boxes was being sent exactly the same way as the stuff that was dragging its feet getting delivered to Yahoo. That's not a reflection on MSP IT people, but on the vendor handling their relaying.

Sorry for the long post! Mostly: people need to know this is a lot more complicated than it sounds. The system generating the email and initially sending it is rarely the culprit. While I rarely have any kind of sympathy for the MSP, I do in this case, because been there, done that.

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    I had an issue this morning, trying to log in. Sent an email to the firearm purchase section and was back up by noon. Everything seems to be working now. They must have figured out the bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom