• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'm only worried about group size. I don't think I have ever scored any of my targets. I figure if I can consistently achieve 2-3" group then I can move on to different types of training, but if I have no inherent accuracy then what is the point of adding in dynamic techniques?

I think I am now at that level or damn close so I need to start signing up for training this year.

I have also used 4 different pistols, but have finally settled on one going forward. Maybe that will help with consistency as well.

The only thing I can think of is that the relative size of the targets are different at the distances you are shooting at. You are shooting the pistol target closer than they were designed for so the black area will appear larger. This will cause the group size to increase because there is more area to aim at.

It is also possible that the different pistols contributed.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you're shooting at 25 feet and only care about groups, don't waste money on bullseye targets ontended for competition.

Just shoot at post it notes taped to scrap paper.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm only worried about group size. I don't think I have ever scored any of my targets. I figure if I can consistently achieve 2-3" group then I can move on to different types of training, but if I have no inherent accuracy then what is the point of adding in dynamic techniques?

I think I am now at that level or damn close so I need to start signing up for training this year.

I have also used 4 different pistols, but have finally settled on one going forward. Maybe that will help with consistency as well.
    How about keeping the same range(s) and adding stressers? If your goal is SD, adding stressers will teach you more than distance increases(Blaster will kill me for this...:lol2:). Get the heart going and see how you hold up.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    How about keeping the same range(s) and adding stressers? If your goal is SD, adding stressers will teach you more than distance increases(Blaster will kill me for this...:lol2:). Get the heart going and see how you hold up.

Should I have my wife stand next to me at the pistol range and read items off the to-do list?

:D

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Seriously this is true. During my CCW class one of the exercises was to fire 10 rounds from a cover position at a bad guy mannequin with two good guy mannequins within a foot away. There was one dummy round inserted into your first mag of 5 rounds at an unknown position second mag had 5 rounds. While you were supposed to perform this exercise John from Fortress was screaming in your ear like a drill sergeant the entire time.

The stress was real. It was impressive if you got just 1 shot on the bad guy center of mass, without hitting the good guys. Lots of us dropped mags, reloaded and attempted to fire without racking the slide to eject the dummy round or forgot to pull back
    behind the cover.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have noticed at times I get a better group with a silhouette or rifle targets than I do with a bullseye target on the same day. Maybe I need to switch to smaller targets to help with the "aim small, miss small" idea.

In my head I want a ~2-3" group at hallway distances. I have also tried using rifle targets with 1" square bullseye.

BTW this would be close to my best at 25 feet but I only achieve it something similar 15-20% of the time. Usually I have a good group with a couple flyers and the group having vertical or horizontal stringing.
    So, this looks like you were "shooting the group", unless you adjusted the windage on your next target.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you're shooting at 25 feet and only care about groups, don't waste money on bullseye targets ontended for competition.

Just shoot at post it notes taped to scrap paper.
    Free paint samples and spray glue work great
    c108f2e916f52344ed9f2eaa2bc35895.jpg

d45d69d343936d1e3013c51fbb3db66c.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How about keeping the same range(s) and adding stressers? If your goal is SD, adding stressers will teach you more than distance increases(Blaster will kill me for this...2:). Get the heart going and see how you hold up.
    Meh. I think more people need to learn to shoot with their off hand.
    They need to learn to stay on target after firing a round or two, instead of bringing it back and admiring their handiwork.
    I think they need to shoot bent elbow from the hip, in order to know what that feels like.
    I think they need to start shooting with a shitty stance.
    I think people should practice a slow, covert draw while sitting down.
    I could keep going.

Heart rate stress is fine, but if you shoot like shit before stressors, you're still going to shoot like shit during.
    I think Mr. Cool guy yelling instructor is an idiot. That time should be spent helping people master their basics. If you're going to do anything during a CCW class.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Meh. I think more people need to learn to shoot with their off hand. Sometimes, I feel like I have two Off hands.:rolleyes: Serious question, though: Shooting with the "wrong" hand...same eye, right?
    They need to learn to stay on target after firing a round or two, instead of bringing it back and admiring their handiwork.
    I think they need to shoot bent elbow from the hip, in order to know what that feels like. Did this for the first time at my first IDPA match. It feels weird, kinda scary, and over too quick.
    I think they need to start shooting with a shitty stance. No prob...happens all the time ;)
    I think people should practice a slow, covert draw while sitting down. This is MD...I guess I could do a slow covert draw of my pocket knife :shrug:
    I could keep going.

Heart rate stress is fine, but if you shoot like shit before stressors, you're still going to shoot like shit during.
    I think Mr. Cool guy yelling instructor is an idiot. That time should be spent helping people master their basics. If you're going to do anything during a CCW class.

In all seriousness, a steel or IDPA match could offer a lot of these less than ideal shooting situations, with some timer stress. Not quite the same as shots coming back...but definitely eye opening compared to leisurely shooting from the bench.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Meh. I think more people need to learn to shoot with their off hand.
    I think they need to shoot bent elbow from the hip, in order to know what that feels like.
    I think they need to start shooting with a shitty stance.
    I think people should practice a slow, covert draw while sitting down.
    I could keep going.

That “cool guy” did spend a lot of time on the basics way beyond what I guess is considered “required” by maryland.

Personally I did find it useful because it was a situation I had never been in before. The class I was in had guys with a lot of firearm experience compared to me. Some were extremely accurate when taking the time to carefully line up a shot. Seeing them fumble, drop mags, drop slides without the mag inserted under that situation was helpful. It wasn’t life threatening stress but it was a severe distraction and still showed me that shooting at the range under controlled conditions is not enough to prepare someone for the unexpected things that might happen if you draw your firearm in a life threatening situation.

What did it teach me? If anything, I’d probably be safer staying behind cover and if I did have to shoot to protect myself, I’d better make sure I knew exactly what I was shooting at. If it was in a crowded restaurant I have no delusions of grander. My current skills aren’t good enough to ensure that I would hit my target at 7yd under stress on the first shot. That’s a scary thought because where would that missed round go? Could I accidentally injure or kill someone’s daughter? Yes!

What I also learned that day was that failures to feed or extract happen a lot when you use shitty gunshow Glock mags. I got A-Lot of practice clearing and reloading. I realized that you may only get one shot to protect your life why the fvck did I think that saving $15 on a magazine was a good idea. If anything good came of that foolishness it was that I had plenty of practice cleaning by the time we got to the “Screaming” exercise. When my dummy round hit the chamber I was quick to rack and drop the slide but I knew it was coming.

Thanks for your no BS perspective. I do value it, a lot.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

I don't currently have access to private ranges. Pretty sure if I'm doing anything odd I will get a kind suggestion from the RSO to cut that spit out.

The only dynamic things I have done so far involve getting my mall ninja outfit on and jumping around the basement with air pistols.

Up until very recently I have been extremely time limited. Hopefully with my schedule easing up there will be time to engage in more productive practice and training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom