• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browner_77

May 22, 2020
    Hello all,
    New guy here, so please excuse me if this question has been answered many times before. I have two questions for you guys that I'm hoping you will be able to answer:
    1. Is it legal to build 3d printed lowers for AR's and pistols?

2. Is it still legal to buy and finish 80% AR lowers?

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    Welcome!!

1. First things first. In accordance to Maryland law & the MSP, 3d printing firearms is illegal.
    The issue is you can print a complete lower
    in the eyes of the law your now manufacturing a possible fully functional firearm. ( You will end up if a Charlie Foxtrot of trouble with the ATF & MSP)
    So do not do it! Don't even think about doing it.

2. It is completely legally finish an AR 80% lower. The 80%= a paper weight until its milled down . Once it is finished make sure the rifle you build onto it has a 16" barrel and its OAL is 29"+.

Keep in mind this lower should be for your personal use only (no intent for resale )

Have fun, stay safe, use the search function for the forum and search the MSP website for info https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hello all,
    New guy here, so please excuse me if this question has been answered many times before. I have two questions for you guys that I'm hoping you will be able to answer:

Welcome to MDS. Take a minute to go to the introduction forum and introduce yourself.

As far as answers to your questions. Maryland has lawmakers have tried several times to make both illegal but the bills didn’t hit the floor for a vote this year.

So for the time being, as long as you can legally own a firearm in Maryland then your are currently allowed to construct your own using any means.

I encourage you to check out marylandshallissue.org

They have a legislation tracker which will show you which gun related bills are being discussed and their status. The organization does a lot of work to help protect our 2A rights in maryland so I would encourage you to join.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Welcome!!

1. First things first. In accordance to the MSP, 3d printing firearms is illegal.

2. It is completely legally finish an AR 80% lower. The 80%= a paper weight until its milled down . Once it is finished make sure the rifle you build onto it has a 16" barrel and its OAL is 29"+.

Keep in mind this lower should be for personal use only (no intent for resale )

If you choose to trade/transfer/sell it in 10 years you'd need to get it serialized and 77r.

Have fun, stay safe, use the search function for the forum and search the MSP website for info https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx.

Welcome as well. It took me a little longer to type my response.

I do have a question. Could you cite MSP guidance on 3D printed firearms. As far as I’m aware this legislation did not pass last session so still legal in MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Welcome!!

1. First things first. In accordance to Maryland law & the MSP, 3d printing firearms is illegal.
    in the eyes of the law your now manufacturing a possible fully functional firearm. ( You will end up if a Charlie Foxtrot of trouble with the ATF & MSP)

Keep in mind this lower should be for your personal use only (no intent for resale )

1. What Maryland law??????

2. How is an 80% lower different than a 0% lower???????

BATFE has determined that whoever WROTE the 3D printer file is the manufacturer. So if you get a file off the internet, and print a lower, you are not the manufacturer, and this causes issues. Both for you and whoever wrote the file.

But if you write your own printer file, you are good to go.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I didn't know that Del. Dumais was able to convince anyone to let her crap bill out of committee, let alone have them make it become law. Oh wait, she wasn't!

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Seeing a lot of misinformation on this thread. 3d printing firearm lowers is not banned; if it was, they'd stop trying to ban them every year. I'd wait for one of the grand poobahs to come on and give a better wording on the law.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    It is not illegal to make your own firearms if you are not a prohibited person. If you are a criminal and and not allowed to possess a gun you cannot legally build a gun.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hello all,
    New guy here, so please excuse me if this question has been answered many times before.

Welcome, take the time to go over to the introductions sub-forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

I have two questions for you guys that I'm hoping you will be able to answer:

Perfectly legal, even though the State Legislature continues to try to pas legislation to make it illegal.

Perfectly legal, buy, mill, build, enjoy.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Welcome!!

Completely and utterly incorrect. There is absolutely NO law in MD making it illegal to do so. There is, likewise, absolutely NO federal law that makes it illegal. Creating a lower via 3D printing is no different than milling a lower out of a block of aluminum. And by the way, it is NOT classified as manufacturing either by MSP or the ATF.

He was asking about purchasing an 80% lower, which is perfectly legal in MD.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Welcome!!

You are wrong on both parts.

1. I am not aware of any MD law restricting 3d printing of firearms. Note there are some configurations of firearms that are banned and cannot be 3d printed, but those restrictions are based on the configuration and not the fact that they were 3d printed. The only federal restriction I am aware of is that there is a minimum metal content from the Undetectable Firearms Act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undetectable_Firearms_Act.

2. You cannot build an 80% AR lower into any configuration. The MD AWB restricts possession of certain configurations. You will need a HBAR barrel if you want to make a normal AR rifle.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    So the OP asks a question in his first post. Another Yahoo responds with his third post misstaing MD and federal law.

Build what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom