• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    ^^^ This RIGHT HERE is why you should NEVER say that your lone opinion, or your one vote, doesn't make a difference.

ALWAYS TAKE ACTION!

Her, her father, and the 1200 other folks that kept the House committee there until 3:46 AM Saturday morning (Started at 1:00 PM Friday afternoon, sign-up started at 9:00 AM Friday) are part and parcel why we were able to make O'Malley, Bush, and Miller threaten members of their own party to get what O'Malley wanted.

More people need to understand that and stand up again in those numbers every time we get.

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    I tell you what. I have been educated on this forum about MD Gun restrictions more than anywhere else. I appreciate those who share the knowledge. It helps us stay out of hot water. Last thing I ever want to end up screwing my 2nd amend right to be a lawful, legal firearm owner.

Now we just need to figure out what came first. The HBAR or the dipstick currupt ill-informed politicians that made it a requirement? :D

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You bought the gun cash and carry in HBAR config which is non regulated. When you attach a non HBAR upper on that lower you have made an illegal firearm as its now in a regulated configuration with no paperwork. Its no different than taking an AR bought as a regulated firearm rifle and trying to make it a pistol. once a rifle always a rifle. Iv been shooting on private land and had the State Police drive up and ask to see all of the firearms. They called in every SN# to make sure none of the guns were stolen. On a 22lr pistol they said the serial number and the dispatcher said my name back. the officer never told the dispatcher my name, so regulated firearms must be logged somewhere with serial number, owner and maybe date of purchase.

The correct response is you can have the serial numbers when you show me a search warrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You bought the gun cash and carry in HBAR config which is non regulated. When you attach a non HBAR upper on that lower you have made an illegal firearm as its now in a regulated configuration with no paperwork. Its no different than taking an AR bought as a regulated firearm rifle and trying to make it a pistol. once a rifle always a rifle. Iv been shooting on private land and had the State Police drive up and ask to see all of the firearms. They called in every SN# to make sure none of the guns were stolen. On a 22lr pistol they said the serial number and the dispatcher said my name back. the officer never told the dispatcher my name, so regulated firearms must be logged somewhere with serial number, owner and maybe date of purchase.

Yes, all that is on the 77r and archived in MSPLD computers FOREVER, even if you sell it. We've known where that somewhere is since they started.

rbird is right while you are on private land unless they have probably cause to believe a crime has been commited, they can pound sand. If they look at them without your permission, call them in and there are witnesses, you might have a case for slander if you pushed it

Not any different from walking around behind your house and checking the VIN number on your car for no reason

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, all that is on the 77r and archived in MSPLD computers FOREVER, even if you sell it. We've known where that somewhere is since they started.

rbird is right while you are on private land unless they have probably cause to believe a crime has been commited, they can pound sand. If they look at them without your permission, call them in and there are witnesses, you might have a case for slander if you pushed it

Not any different from walking around behind your house and checking the VIN number on your car for no reason
    ^^^This
    They can 'drive up any driveway' and ask for anything they want. It is your civic duty to deny any search without proper documentation.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    One minor correction to the above...Maryland wanted to follow in CA's path and basically copied their regulated rifles list back in 1989 for the first 39 rifles on the regulated list. MSRPA was successful in getting the Colt Sporter HBAR specifically exempted for competition reason, because COLT still owned the patent back in 1989 and was the only HBAR on the market at the time. Fast forward to 1992 when Bushmaster made a heavy Barrel version of their AR-15. MSP, in written correspondence, verified that the Bushmaster heavy barrel was a copy of the Colt Sporter HBAR and could be sold cash and carry. Then the other heavy barrel copies came along.

The additions to the regulated list were based on this and came about in 1994 in Maryland.

This is the real reason that HBAR rifles remained legal to possess in Maryland then and subsequently now.

And as I was told back then... MSRPA was helped by support of the military because they did not want their visiting shooters to be placed in jeopardy of violating Maryland gun laws while participating in the Maryland Shooting Competitions.

And the “weight” of the barrel really had no bearing on the issue other than the fact that the HBAR rifle does not have the cutout portion of the barrel which allows the M-203 to be attached. The fact that the rifle was designated by Colt as a “MATCH TARGET” stamped “MATCH HBAR” rifle... helped to sell the “approval“ for the exemption to the MGA. The “copy” exemptions for other manufacturer’s HBARs came later as you pointed out.

Example:
    View attachment 285841

I tell you what. I have been educated on this forum about MD Gun restrictions more than anywhere else. I appreciate those who share the knowledge. It helps us stay out of hot water. Last thing I ever want to end up screwing my 2nd amend right to be a lawful, legal firearm owner.

Now we just need to figure out what came first. The HBAR or the dipstick currupt ill-informed politicians that made it a requirement? :D
    See above posts...

The HBAR is the only thing that saved us from a total AR15 ban in the Marylandistan Gulag. If not for the original HBAR exemption... ALL AR15 rifles would be banned here.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    See above posts...

The HBAR is the only thing that saved us from a total AR15 ban in the Marylandistan Gulag. If not for the original HBAR exemption... ALL AR15 rifles would be banned here.
    ...and that's really the bottom line.
    That's why they went after the hbars this time around. They are as insidious as a water leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom