Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 10th, 2020, 12:44 PM #31
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

TWO clinics this past weekend and registration open for Patriot's Day weekend!

We had two Appleseed clinics this past windy weekend.

On Saturday we had our first shoot at Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 2018 - great to have it back on the schedule and we really appreciate the support of the club and its volunteer RSOs for making it a success. The event was sold out and seven shooters came out for a brisk, windy, and sunny day of marksmanship and history. Our cadre of shooters were all business, prepared, and chose to thoroughly immerse in all the instruction/history.

All shooters showed marked improvement over the course of the day, with one knocking on the Rifleman door, but no qualifiers in wind that blew around targets, papers, mats, and even a spotting scope. Thanks to our Berwyn Rod and Gun Club for hosting, and to the Blue and Red Hats, Mike, Charles, and Doug.

We also had our first two-day clinic and our first event at AGC in Marriottsville this year. Saturday saw 10 students on the line, including some from out of state and a couple of youngsters to enjoy (if that is the right word) a COLD and WINDY day! Everyone powered through the conditions and showed improvement. 2 students made Rifleman by the end of the day - Huzzah!

Sunday saw only 5 students return to the line due to schedule conflicts, however, those who did shoot did so with with vigor. The weather was much improved and reached into the 60's by Noon. What is it they say about what to do if you don't like Maryland weather?

Sunday saw another student top the 210 mark and another scoring Distinguished with optics with a 242!

Huzzah, and THANK YOU to Associated Gun Club, Mt Washington Rod & Gun, the volunteers (BeSwift, Agent711, and LibertyBoy) AND the students for making this another banner event. Congrats to our 3 new Maryland Rifleman!

Pictures are available on our Maryland Appleseed page on Facebook.

Our next clinic is a sold-out 2-day rimfire clinic at AAFG in Annapolis in late March.

Our next three events after that are our Patriot's Day Special events on April 18-19. We are very lucky to have them fall on Patriot's Day (April 19, the day of the Shot Heard Round the World) this year and will have special T-shirts and other goodies for all the participants.

The three events are at the following ranges:

- AAFG in Annapolis - rimfire only

- Berwyn in Bowie - rimfire and centerfire

- Sanner's Lake in Lexington Park - rimfire and centerfire

We would really like to fill the lines for these special events so let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Hope to see you on the line!

A Rifleman Persists!

Last edited by KYFHO; March 10th, 2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fixed last picture
KYFHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:17 AM #32
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

COVID-19 Cancellation of AAFG, March 21-22

From our State Coordinator:

"It is with great hesitance that I write this, but.... we are canceling the March 21st Annapolis event due to the COVID 19 emergency. There are too many unknowns with this situation and it would be irresponsible to push forward until more info is available. We'll still have a Nation to Save in a few weeks when more is known about both the seriousness and duration of the emergency."

We are working to reschedule all of the shooters to future events. Truly sorry but we do not want to put our students or instructors at risk.

More announcements to be made later.

A Rifleman Persists!
Old March 25th, 2020, 01:50 PM #33
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Although events are cancelled in the near-term (due, at the moment, to closures of our host ranges), we are still planning future events and believe that this crisis will wake people up more to the need to both learn basic rifle marksmanship (lots of new gun owners out there) and preserve our rights (lots of new, hopefully, short-term restrictions).

Just before the lockdown I was able to take out my SCAR-17S and do a couple Red Coats with its built-in iron sights as well as its 3.5X TA-11C ACOG using 147gr FMJ ammo.

The irons are quite good on the SCAR. The worst group (200 yards) was because I accidentally bump fired a shot into that target during my 100 yard string but was able to clean the target anyway - sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! It was no issue with the ACOG at all.

.30 cal Appleseed is fun - but just remember you don't get a .50 rule on .30 cal shots!

A Rifleman Persists!
Old March 25th, 2020, 03:08 PM #34
Bark Bark!

Bark Bark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFHO View Post
Although events are cancelled in the near-term (due, at the moment, to closures of our host ranges), we are still planning future events and believe that this crisis will wake people up more to the need to both learn basic rifle marksmanship (lots of new gun owners out there) and preserve our rights (lots of new, hopefully, short-term restrictions).

Just before the lockdown I was able to take out my SCAR-17S and do a couple Red Coats with its built-in iron sights as well as its 3.5X TA-11C ACOG using 147gr FMJ ammo.

The irons are quite good on the SCAR. The worst group (200 yards) was because I accidentally bump fired a shot into that target during my 100 yard string but was able to clean the target anyway - sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! It was no issue with the ACOG at all.

.30 cal Appleseed is fun - but just remember you don't get a .50 rule on .30 cal shots!
Impressive!

Lol at the bump fire, target still looks good
schnauzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 05:28 PM #35

Great job nailing that shingle especially with the optic!!
magwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 05:32 PM #36

Great job with the scar! Outstanding 👍👏
Old March 25th, 2020, 06:52 PM #37
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Thanks guys!

If you are trapped at home, you can still practice shooting with dry fire (with no ammo in the room) to stay proficient and even improve. I worked a lot on my iron sight and bolt action proficiency using scaled targets in my basement.

You can do all 6 steps to firing a shot, steady hold factors in each position, sling adjustment, mag changes, transitions, and NPOA checks (heck, even have someone card your sights!) indoors with almost no space. After all, an MOA is an MOA!

Here are some tips for dry fire practice:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=44538.0

Targets scaled for dry fire practice are available here:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9833.0

Down the page you will find AQT targets and squares scaled for 10ft as well as 5 and 10 yard dry fire targets. I have a long enough basement to you use the 25 ft AQT and reduced a 50 ft Red Coat by half as well. Or just use a power socket ground hole.

Also a good time to get those guns nice and clean for when we start up again. I would say it was a good time to stock up on ammo but...well, too late for that.

A Rifleman Persists!
Old March 25th, 2020, 07:30 PM #38
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

But don't dryfire your rimfires without a snap cap! Wall anchors from a hardware store will do the job of protecting your firing pins!

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:04 PM #39
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
But don't dryfire your rimfires without a snap cap! Wall anchors from a hardware store will do the job of protecting your firing pins!

Depends on the gun (some rimfire, including 10/22s are safe to dry fire), but never bad to use protection.

I also “dry fire” with a dead trigger sometimes when practicing positions, sight picture, and NPOA. Trigger pull and release is just one part of the process (the 5th). Also keeps you from having to work the bolt on a semi over and over again!

A Rifleman Persists!
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:08 PM #40
Bark Bark!

Bark Bark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFHO View Post
I would say it was a good time to stock up on ammo but...well, too late for that.
While true for centerfire calibers and historically lower-priced bulk rimfire, I've noticed that better quality/match rimfire ammo pricing seems to have remained the same for now

Example, on the CMP Eley https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYSTD-5000 the price has not changed, free shipping (need to have the green signed Appleseed paperwork though) works out to 7cpr in bulk.

Otherwise Ammoseek.com shows rimfire SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Target still around 10-12cpr same as before the run on ammo! Stock up!
schnauzr is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting