• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well, I've put it off as long as I can...

I'm getting my fingerprints scanned tomorrow night (1/8/2020)...

$60.xx...

Some of the new hand guns on the market "forced" me to do it...

I hear ya!

I've been telling myself I don't "need" any new handguns. I placated myself by buying another upper to feed my AR addiction, but there are a few handguns that are calling me to the dark side. Sooner or later I'm gonna cave.

If I may humbly suggest...holding out only hurts yourself. Do you think Frosh is stomping his feet in frustration because some people haven't jumped through his hoop, or is he twisting his mustache in satisfaction knowing that those folks aren't buying handguns :shrug:

It certainly does not help the firearms industry to keep passing around the same C&R guns either.

A litmus test I sometimes use is to ponder, "what if everybody make the same choices as me?" If everyone held out, there would be no HQLs, so there would be no new handgun sales in MD (other than to the police). How many local gun shops would we have left? Frosh and O'Malley could ejaculate together: "See! Marylander's don't want guns!"

On the other hand...What if everyone "caved" like me and continued to buy handguns as though it was 2016 and Hillary was still in the game, vowing to take down the NRA? LGS's would be thriving (and this state would probably have record setting credit card debt:o...but who cares about that?!?! That can be paid on down the road, regardless of who is in power ;) ).

HQL is meant to deter handgun purchases. I suggest that NOT making handgun purchase is caving to their will. It certainly seems to suit their agenda. They don't care if the reason is your pride, lack of funding, or just too much of a hassle...they get what they want when you don't buy. :shrug:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It doesn't list which agencies are outstanding. At least if it does I can't find where

Maybe that's changed. I got mine in 2015. Somewhere, it listed about 15-20 agencies that reported on me, and their status. I think the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene reported immediately (guess they weren't too busy :innocent0). All the others were still pending (I checked everyday), until one time I logged in and things looked different...because it was all "not disapproved" (or whatever their flavor of BS was).

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So what you’re saying is by using my HQL to buy AR lower receivers I get to stick it to them twice? Sold!

I say, any purchase you make, that puts profit into local MD gun shops and increases the number of firearms in MD sticks it to them...if only just a little bit :mdpatriot

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Maybe that's changed. I got mine in 2015. Somewhere, it listed about 15-20 agencies that reported on me, and their status. I think the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene reported immediately (guess they weren't too busy :innocent0). All the others were still pending (I checked everyday), until one time I logged in and things looked different...because it was all "not disapproved" (or whatever their flavor of BS was).

No you're right. I clicked another link and got it.

What's odd is the only thing held up is CJIS. But I got a letter from them stating they had checked and I was good to go?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    No you're right. I clicked another link and got it.

What's odd is the only thing held up is CJIS. But I got a letter from them stating they had checked and I was good to go?

That's kinda weird. Honestly, though, this HQL has been around for a while...I'm sure they've gotten the kinks out of it.

As much as we like to think of their sinister plots to trip us up at every turn :tinfoil: at this point, I think the hold up is much more likely just the fact that you are dealing with government agencies just getting back into the swing of things after a long holiday, and not that there is really a problem. :fingerscrossed:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yes, the $10 state fee is on the application to purchase the registered arm or frame.
    I have done this when purchasing mulitple frames and it was only one state fee.
    One time it was for two handguns..a ways back...but still one state fee.

The FFL fees are variant depending on the FFL holder.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This is me. I just can’t bring myself to do it. I feed my habit with SGs...for now.

Yeah, big club.

What keeps me out of HQL land, aside from the principle of the thing, is the fact that there are still C&R handguns that I'm looking for. The money won't extend to buying everything I want at once, and it's possible the HQL will be thrown out by SCOTUS before I run out of C&R stuff to buy.

Once that happens, it's catch-up time. My wallet cringes in anticipation.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I did the same, finally decided that the pain of asking permission was easier than that of not being "allowed" to buy guns in this God-forsaken state.
    So I applied 1/1/20. Got my CJIS letter a couple days ago, but the checklist items all still say "unchecked". Aside from the application.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Let me know how it feels to beg the state for permission to exercise your Second Amendment right.

I’d say it’s probably a lot more satisfying than walking around bitter, angry and constantly taking it out on everyone around you, that is, when you’re not openly fantasizing about CW2? That would be my best guess. :rolleye12

Last edited:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Well, I've put it off as long as I can...

I'm getting my fingerprints scanned tomorrow night (1/8/2020)...

$60.xx...

Some of the new hand guns on the market "forced" me to do it...

I completed the submission process on Friday 1/10/2020...

I'll let you know how long it takes before I have my HQL in my hands...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom