• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Aero Precision;
    308 M5 Lower Receiver
    308 M5 Carbine Buffer Kit (carbine buffer/buffer spring/end plate/lock nut/tube)
    308 M5E1 Upper Receiver/12" M-LOK Handguard Combo Gen2
    308 Bolt Carrier Group (phosphate)
    308 Standard Charging Handle
    308 M5 Lower Parts Kit w/Magpul MOE and FCG
    308 A2 Birdcage Flash Hider

Ballistic Advantage Modern Series .308 AR Rifle Barrel, 12.5in (carbine length)
    Ballistic Advantage Gas Tube QPQ Coated (carbine length)

SB TACTICAL -SBA4 5-POSITION ADJ BRACES W/MIL-SPEC CARBINE EXTENSION
    Magpul M-LOK AFG

Last edited:

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    optic?
    sights?
    mags?
    gas block? (I would recommend adjustable. I have had good luck with Superlative Arms)

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    optic?
    sights?
    mags?
    gas block? (I would recommend adjustable. I have had good luck with Superlative Arms)

Mags/drums waiting for me out of state. Just ordered a AP gas block. Probably go with Magpul sights the next time they go on sale at primary arms.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What's wrong with this as a starting point? Very cost effective.
    Compatibility issues with the common DPMS gen1 ecosystem. After the quality issues I've had with PSA, I would not recommend their uppers to anyone.

That said, you are jumping in the deep end by going with a short 308 build as your first one. I would strongly advise an adjustable gas block and a Tubb buffer spring. You may also find that you need to make substantial alterations to your buffer system, including a heavier buffer and even moving to an A5 tube. Without doing this, you may find the recoil somewhat punishing without using a brake (which I'm sure would be epic on a 12" gun). I have an 18" Aero AR-308 build, and it was simply not pleasant to shoot until I swapped the FH for a Lantac Dragon ASR, even with adjustable gas tweaked pretty well. YMMV, of course, but I guess I'm trying to say, don't necessarily think you're doing this on the cheap.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Compatibility issues with the common DPMS gen1 ecosystem. After the quality issues I've had with PSA, I would not recommend their uppers to anyone.

Hmm - and I was just starting to warm up to the idea of an AR 10 type build.

Seems to happen all the time; AR10 builds, getting better, buy one! Then; nope - they still suck. On and on.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    All in I’m looking at about $900 with good quality parts. PSA reviews are all over the place. I don’t need the best of the best nor does saving $150 make a big difference to me if I’m going to have issues with it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a Rugged Micro 30 on my Aero AR .308 build. Really tames the concussion from a 16" .308.
    I never found concussion to be the big problem, at least compared to recoil. My Aero 308 has a Faxon pencil barrel in it, and while that makes it delightfully easy to handle, that rifle really pounded on me with a regular carbine buffer and a FH. I remember after I shot it the first time after doing the build, I was like "why is thing so much worse than my Ruger Precision Rifle on my shoulder?"

Now, with the 10.5" AR-308 SBR I'm building out, I expect concussion management to be more of a thing... I'll probably just use an ASR FH and a SiCo Chimera to deal with it. Hard to justify using a brake on something that short, I think it would be simply brutal indoors.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have had good luck with Aero M5 stuff, but prefer an A5 buffer tube/H3 buffer over the shortened buffers/M4 tube. Some lower parts are proprietary, mainly pins and mag catch button, wish they went with a long mag catch bolt and standard button instead of a long button and standard catch. My 18" Heavy barrel build is a good shooter, runs well suppressed. Really like the ATLAS handguard over the gen 2 though, the gen 2 is huge, but with heavy barrels there isn't enough clearance for the QD swivels on the handguard to clear the barrel. Helped a buddy build a lightweight 16" M5 and really liked it, will probably go that route next. Have an adjustable gas block, 308 has MASSIVE differences in port pressure with different ammo, so you have to adjust it with most ammo changes, or just deal with extra slap in recoil, or some jamming.

Attachments

• 20190815_095221.jpg
      20190815_095221.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 107

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    UBR gen2 or an A5 setup is definitely an upgrade I'm eying for the Aero M5.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom