• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I personally think they have something on Roberts. Maybe he and Epstein were friends. Anyway, what a disappointment he is.
    V

Of course they do. CIA was caught hacking Congress; do you think the USSC isn't secured by the lowest bidder?

ETA:
    Literally everybody has something on everybody else.

The big question is whether Roberts will call their bluff.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    She was working hard to get Clement to say the case was moot. I think she protests too much and is signaling that there might be enough Justices that think the case is not mooted, that she was trying everything she could to change opinions. This may be good for us..

Keep in mind that Sotomayor was (and probably still is) part of the NYC Demoncrat machine...

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Also, I believe Breyer is mistaken about the storage of firearms in colonial Massachusetts. He said he thought all weapons and ammunition were stored in one location. I believe it might be only the ammunition that was centrally stored and only because of fire hazards. However, I think that changed during and after the revolution. I believe during and after the war that militia eligible persons were required to keep weapons and sufficient ammunition on hand for practice and use if called upon. And under all of this, cartridges reduced or eliminated the risk of fires, too. History, and tradition.

Militia stores only were kept in a central location. Each male of age was expected to maintain a gun, flint, powder and balls.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    After reading the transcript I am inclined to think that the case is not moot. Clements rebuttal essentially summarized it well: Plaintiffs are entitled to negotiation of the scope any injunction, plus damages. Roberts was concerned that mootness would "prejudice further options available to the Petitioners, for example, seeking damages. " NYC's response was not "no" rather "I dont think so." There is also a somewhat unsettled question about past violations of the law.

Roberts will be concerned mostly about incentivizing this kind of game playing in the future.

Dan forgive my ignorance on this but I’m wondering what damages could be sought? Civil rights violation or something else ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I imagine a collective eye-roll when Sotomajor said transporting a firearm was covered under the license to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No way there would have been an attempted remedy (to the restrictive transport law) by NYC and New York state if the court hadn't taken the case. I haven't read today's transcript, but I would imagine that some of the liberal justices agreed with the revisions made in the NYC ordinance. If so, they get close to agreeing that the original law was overreach. If this is the case, then don't they invite other state governments to continue to play this game of "psyche, we were just kidding" with the 2A - write and pass laws that undercut a Constitutional right - and then say I'm sorry and rescind if the SC decides to weigh in? What an awful signal to send. Would Sotomayor do the same and argue for mootness if the same game was played with a right that she cared for?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    No way there would have been an attempted remedy (to the restrictive transport law) by NYC and New York state if the court hadn't taken the case. I haven't read today's transcript, but I would imagine that some of the liberal justices agreed with the revisions made in the NYC ordinance. If so, they get close to agreeing that the original law was overreach. If this is the case, then don't they invite other state governments to continue to play this game of "psyche" with the 2A - write and pass laws that undercut a Constitutional right - and then say I'm sorry and rescind if the SC decides to weigh in? What an awful signal to send. Would Sotomayor do the same and argue for mootness if the same game was played with a right that she cared for?
    Yep, and I believe it was Alito that called them out for it. It definitely would invite other states and localities to do the same thing as NYC. It also would seem to incentivise lower court defiance, as they could continue with poor opinions and know that they'll be bailed out when the government quits after a cert grant. I'm really curious how many other times this scenario has happened.
    I read the transcript and am leaning toward a decision on the merits. Roberts few questions seemed to lean our way.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yep, and I believe it was Alito that called them out for it. It definitely would invite other states and localities to do the same thing as NYC. It also would seem to incentivise lower court defiance, as they could continue with poor opinions and know that they'll be bailed out when the government quits after a cert grant. I'm really curious how many other times this scenario has happened.

I read the transcript and am leaning toward a decision on the merits. Roberts few questions seemed to lean our way.
    That's reassuring. Otherwise not only are a sizeable group of people denied a right, they need to come up with money every time to fight the state to defend the right.

Maybe Roberts' comments were also to take some heat off the court (temporarily) from the liberal press, and the other justices speaking forcefully for mootness were making an argument to him.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    If this is the case, then don't they invite other state governments to continue to play this game of "psyche, we were just kidding" with the 2A - write and pass laws that undercut a Constitutional right - and then say I'm sorry and rescind if the SC decides to weigh in?

I think we need a 2A equivalent to the Voting Rights Act where states that have shown a proclivity to pass infringing laws will be banned from passing future laws unless approved by a national committee.... actually I would just like to see them banned from passing any 2A laws for 25 years after any infringement.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Of course they do. CIA was caught hacking Congress; do you think the USSC isn't secured by the lowest bidder?

ETA:
    Literally everybody has something on everybody else.

The big question is whether Roberts will call their bluff.

The CIA was not caught hacking Congress, though that is clearly the way Congress painted it and the way the media spun the story. The facts are the following:

• The computers belonged to the CIA not to the Senate (particularly the SSCI - Senate Select Committee on Intelligence).
    • Access to these CIA computers was at a special CIA site, not a Congressional site.
    • The CIA was responsible for monitoring security of these computers to ensure they were not used in an unauthorized manner that would compromise classified material not relevant to the topic under review.
    • At the time of login, a banner popped up which said "Your use of this system may be monitored and you have no expectation of privacy."
    • The people thought to be misusing the CIA computers were SSCI Staffers, not Congressional Members.
    • As a result of their security monitoring against abuse or unauthorized access of CIA material not shared with the SSCI Staffers for this specific review, the CIA's RDINet team believed classified material had in fact been improperly accessed and was stored on the SSCI Majority Staff's (Democrats) shared drive area.
    • The matter was then referred to the CIA OGC (Office of General Council), who then tasked the RDINet IT members to do a limited review of what classified material was accessed in an unauthorized fashion, based upon standard/routine security monitoring information previously collected, consistent with the login banner notification.
    • On 1/14/14 the Deputy of the CIA became aware of the situation, immediately ordered a stand-down, and briefed Senator Feinstein of the situation the next day. (In 2014 the Democrats controlled the Senate and she was Chair of the SSCI.)
    • The next day she or her staffers went shrieking to the press that Congress had been spied on by the CIA.

The CIA's Office of Inspector General's full report is here and you can read it for yourselves. Final note: Respecting Separation of Powers, the CIA OIG did NOT investigate whether or not Democrat SSCI Staffers attempted to misuse CIA computers or attempt to leak sensitive classified information; they focused only on CIA Executive Branch actions in the incident.

Now as to your main comment on whether or not someone has something on Roberts, I have no idea, I just wanted to set the record straight on your example. I think you could have found a better use-case than that one.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I imagine a collective eye-roll when Sotomajor said transporting a firearm was covered under the license to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And under the old law, only NYC could give out premesis licenses, every other county had to issue carry permits with the "hunting and target shooting" restriction. Today the replacement law allows statewide issuance of premesis licenses, so many in iffy counties are expecting to be downgraded from hunting/target-shooting to premesis on their next renewal.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Sotomayor also said that the history, text and tradition stuff was a "made up" standard. I wonder if this opens the door for clarification on this standard. I think she purposefully says this to communicate to the lower circuits that there is ambiguity in this, when there is none. I think she's trying to relitigate Heller.

All standards were "made up" at some time in the past. COTUS doesn't define levels of scrutiny; the whole concept was "made up" by SCOTUS long ago. The fact that people accept standards as standards is what makes them, er, standards.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So Ginsburg appeared to at least challenge the wisdom (if not the constitutionality) of the NYC ordinance in considering public safety ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/us/politics/second-amendment-supreme-court.html

Even the court’s more liberal members indicated that the repealed law would be problematic were it properly before the court.

“One problem with the prior regulation,” Justice Ginsburg said, was that “if you wanted to have a gun in your second home, you had to buy a second gun.”

“And what public safety or any other reasonable end is served by saying you have to have two guns instead of one — and one of those guns has to be maintained in a place that is often unoccupied and that, therefore, more vulnerable to theft?” she continued.

But even if it's obvious to her now after New York labored mightily to walk back the transport restriction, remember ...

Three city residents and the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association sued to challenge the law but lost in Federal District Court in Manhattan and in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. A unanimous three-judge panel of the Second Circuit ruled that the ordinance passed constitutional muster.

... that the lower courts were completely fine with the regulation.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think we need a 2A equivalent to the Voting Rights Act where states that have shown a proclivity to pass infringing laws will be banned from passing future laws unless approved by a national committee.... actually I would just like to see them banned from passing any 2A laws for 25 years after any infringement.

This. Forget the damned "my feddelism" arguments. The 2A Bad Actor states need to be under constraint - all firearms and firearms-related laws are automatically illegal until and unless the state proves them Constitutional in Federal court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom