• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Got a few coworkers who are drug felons, can they shoot at a rental range with my (I’m not a felon) guns or the guns the range rents?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So first of all, depends on the drug. Many pot possession crimes can now be expunged. My advice would first be: if its expunge-able, get it expunged.

Second, "possession" is not the same as rental at a range. Nor is a range rental a loan.

I would really have them ask their attorney about this, because there is not a blanket answer - depends on the crime, whether its able to be expunged, etc.

There was a bill last session to define "loan" in the statute, but I believe it died at the last minute, due to a petulant house member, IIRC.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If you take them down to Baltimore City it’s almost exclusively felons shooting guns. Just to be clear though Mayor Jack Young didn’t shoot anyone.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Does anyone else ever wonder why a felon can no longer buy, own, possess, or shoot a firearm, but can still buy, own, possess, and use alcohol, automobiles, knives, ball bats, etc etc? I understand murderers, rapists, molesters, etc charged with heinous, violent crimes.
    It has taken me several years to change my mind on this, but I believe that once someone serves a prison sentence for a non violent, non firearms related crime, they’re “debt” has been paid and ALL rights should be restored upon release. Let’s face it, if someone wants a firearm, they’re going to get one. I do think that SOME would actually try to do it the right way and buy a gun legally. SOME buying one legally would be better than ALL buying them illegally.
    I imagine that there are going to be naysayers, but before you do, stop a minute and think of how many times all of us has probably, at some point broken a law that would’ve landed us in prison and didn’t even know it. I think there needs to be some revamping of the system.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    They do all the time in Baltimore City , but if you are a law abiding citizen then the answer would be no . It is best you refrain from them touching your guns .

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I’d bet the owners of the range wouldn’t be too thrilled about felons trying to rent and shoot on their premises.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A lot of nonsensical "crimes" are felonies.

The thing which opened my eyes to this was the spiteful attempt to prosecute Linda Tripp for recording her phone conversations with Monica Lewinsky. If convicted, she would have been a felon.

Just recording a conversation on a voice recorder is a felony here, although it's perfectly legal in many other states. I have no doubt that many reading this have committed this felony, perhaps many times.

That's just one example of the sort of BS which can brand someone a felon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So first of all, depends on the drug. Many pot possession crimes can now be expunged. My advice would first be: if its expunge-able, get it expunged.

Second, "possession" is not the same as rental at a range. Nor is a range rental a loan.

I would really have them ask their attorney about this, because there is not a blanket answer - depends on the crime, whether its able to be expunged, etc.

There was a bill last session to define "loan" in the statute, but I believe it died at the last minute, due to a petulant house member, IIRC.

That’s a big no. Possession covers physical access. So yeah, renting would be possession. It would not be a transfer.

You can own a gun and be a felon, but you cannot have possession of constructive possession. So I can buy a gun and an FFL could hold it for me for example...but I can’t take possession of it.

Just like if you become a prohibited person. The state doesn’t suddenly own your guns. They might seize them, but you can absolutely legally have some non-prohibited person take possession of them (so long as they won’t transfer them back to you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom