• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was out this past Friday and work has prevented me from getting out this week thus far. Made some bleat calls while a doe was in the area, had a 4 and little 6 come in together checked out the doe, and quickly moved out together. They both were afforded the luxury and walking away as top of archery range for me with some cover thrown in. Would not have been a wise shot.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I went out yesterday evening in a stand further in the woods and squirrels is all I saw. I'm hoping the rain holds off this afternoon and I can sit in a tree for an hour or two after work.

I just got an antlerless buck this morning at a southern Maryland WMA.
    I cut open the stomach like a previous poster does because I was curious, and there wasn't an acorn in sight. I took a picture if anyone would like to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_084741.jpg
      IMG_20191107_084741.jpg
      112.1 KB · Views: 382

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Stopped down the summer place today in Dagsborro and saw this.... I guess the drug epidemic is now taking hold of the deer population?

LMAO... I think I found my new hunting spot

Attachments

• 163583.jpg
      163583.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 335

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am hoping this guy will come by during daylight hours. All pics I have are nocturnal. One at last light.

Attachments

• BC6ACF88-D6FB-482F-AAF6-7E2FE26402A1.jpg
      BC6ACF88-D6FB-482F-AAF6-7E2FE26402A1.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 315

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I just got an antlerless buck this morning at a southern Maryland WMA.
    I cut open the stomach like a previous poster does because I was curious, and there wasn't an acorn in sight. I took a picture if anyone would like to see it.

I still have some acorns by me and can't wait till there gone cause I have to hunt more in the open although along a tree line.
    Where did the tip stick in on that doe? Rib? Shoulder? Spine?

Don't forget that they can chew up the acorns. I don't have pictures of what that looks like though.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I still have some acorns by me and can't wait till there gone cause I have to hunt more in the open although along a tree line.
    Where did the tip stick in on that doe? Rib? Shoulder? Spine?

Don't forget that they can chew up the acorns. I don't have pictures of what that looks like though.

Stuck in the shoulder bone. It thrashed around, but wasn't going anywhere, so I walked up to it and put one more in the chest that killed it immediately. You can see the lighted blue knock in the chest.

And I didn't even think about them chewing up the acorns! Duh!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I had an 8 pt walk in yesterday as I was getting ready to pack it in because of the rain. I let him go and watched as he bumped a couple of does and followed them around. I was afraid of losing a blood trail in the rain.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Say all day. Nothing moving this morning that I could see. Around 330 about a dozen does came out grazing the far field about 200 yards from my climber. By 4 a big boy came in and chased them in and out of the field until after 5, but never in my direction. Just as I was getting ready to pack up this four pt and another he was cruising with cam walking by. first shot failed to go through (was leading his slow walk and he stopped as I shot so caught him in the shoulder. Climbed down and followed the lit nock the forty yards he tried to run and finished him. Lighted nicks are awesome (my first time with them) but they both broke on impact - light portion intact and working but the half moon is gone. These things are cool foraging tracking a lot easier if they lodge in like they did here, but at $10 each I’m not too happy with single use... at least I got my dead meat broadhead back.

I saw a review of the bolts I use that said they break lit nocks. They weren’t kidding. I like the piledrivers for their accuracy and being hard hitting but I may look for a replacement.

Attachments

• BD9853FB-0769-4FA6-83D8-E33CF6086FDE.jpg
      BD9853FB-0769-4FA6-83D8-E33CF6086FDE.jpg
      110 KB · Views: 269

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Can someone explain the rules to me regarding buck harvesting? I read that a buck as defined has at least two points on one antler or one antler being more than 3 inches long. And then it says that you can take a buck that has at least three points on one antler. Does that mean that if you take a buck with one point per antler, longer than 3 inches, the next buck you take MUST have 3 points on an antler? And no bonus stamp needed for the second one? Can they both be taken during archery?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Say all day. Nothing moving this morning that I could see. Around 330 about a dozen does came out grazing the far field about 200 yards from my climber. By 4 a big boy came in and chased them in and out of the field until after 5, but never in my direction. Just as I was getting ready to pack up this four pt and another he was cruising with cam walking by. first shot failed to go through (was leading his slow walk and he stopped as I shot so caught him in the shoulder. Climbed down and followed the lit nock the forty yards he tried to run and finished him. Lighted nicks are awesome (my first time with them) but they both broke on impact - light portion intact and working but the half moon is gone. These things are cool foraging tracking a lot easier if they lodge in like they did here, but at $10 each I’m not too happy with single use... at least I got my dead meat broadhead back.

I saw a review of the bolts I use that said they break lit nocks. They weren’t kidding. I like the piledrivers for their accuracy and being hard hitting but I may look for a replacement.

I can’t speak to run time...but this is what I started using https://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Crossbow-Diameter-Archery-Hunting/dp/B07FN4DY8Y/

They are fairly bright. Can’t speak to runtime other than still work after an hour at least. Took a beating. One time I sink one in a doe the doe smashed the bolt in to 3 pieces and the head disappeared. Found the last 2” of the bolt and the nock laying in the bloody trail and it works fine still.

Have to figure out what your arrows or bolts need for size.

Bolts are still accurate with them. Had to click in slight adjustment compared to non-lighted. But they are 15gr compared to probably 4 or 5 for the unlighted ones.

Still group about 2” at 30yds from a rest.

It was neat to easily see the bolt zip out and could clearly tell it was a low lung/heart shot and it took off. Of course it smashed in to a sapling 10yds in to its run and shattered the bolt and left the lighted nock there...

But if it hadn’t smashed it, I would have seen it poking up down by my creek rather than not being able to see the deer till I waited 45 minutes and crept 30yds down towards the creek and could finally see its belly 20yds from me.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Can someone explain the rules to me regarding buck harvesting? I read that a buck as defined has at least two points on one antler or one antler being more than 3 inches long. And then it says that you can take a buck that has at least three points on one antler. Does that mean that if you take a buck with one point per antler, longer than 3 inches, the next buck you take MUST have 3 points on an antler? And no bonus stamp needed for the second one? Can they both be taken during archery?
    Any 2nd buck you take with any single weapon requires a bonus stamp, and you can’t take 3 antlered deer in any season, period. A max total of 3 antlered deer for the whole season, and only one of those 3 can be less than a 6 point, basically.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I can’t speak to run time...but this is what I started using https://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Crossbow-Diameter-Archery-Hunting/dp/B07FN4DY8Y/

They are fairly bright. Can’t speak to runtime other than still work after an hour at least. Took a beating. One time I sink one in a doe the doe smashed the bolt in to 3 pieces and the head disappeared. Found the last 2” of the bolt and the nock laying in the bloody trail and it works fine still.

Have to figure out what your arrows or bolts need for size.

Bolts are still accurate with them. Had to click in slight adjustment compared to non-lighted. But they are 15gr compared to probably 4 or 5 for the unlighted ones.

Still group about 2” at 30yds from a rest.

It was neat to easily see the bolt zip out and could clearly tell it was a low lung/heart shot and it took off. Of course it smashed in to a sapling 10yds in to its run and shattered the bolt and left the lighted nock there...

But if it hadn’t smashed it, I would have seen it poking up down by my creek rather than not being able to see the deer till I waited 45 minutes and crept 30yds down towards the creek and could finally see its belly 20yds from me.

Damn, that price is a lot more palatable! Thanks!

I was looking at Black Eagle Executioner bolts but nervous to pull the trigger because of the cost of lighted nocks on top of $9 per bolt, but with that I think I can justify it.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Any 2nd buck you take with any single weapon requires a bonus stamp, and you can’t take 3 antlered deer in any season, period. A max total of 3 antlered deer for the whole season, and only one of those 3 can be less than a 6 point, basically.

Ok, so if I want two deer during bow season, the second buck has to be taken with the extra stamp. But, if I shoot Two with a bow, one in bow season, the other during firearm season, that does not require an extra stamp? And so if one buck I harvest has one single spike longer than 3 inches, any remaining buck(s) I harvest must have three points on one antler? So if anyone in Maryland takes three bucks total, at least two of those bucks must have at least three points per antler?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Ok, so if I want two deer during bow season, the second buck has to be taken with the extra stamp. But, if I shoot Two with a bow, one in bow season, the other during firearm season, that does not require an extra stamp? And so if one buck I harvest has one single spike longer than 3 inches, any remaining buck(s) I harvest must have three points on one antler? So if anyone in Maryland takes three bucks total, at least two of those bucks must have at least three points per antler?
    Yes to all. If you shoot a buck with archery equipment during the firearms season, you check that deer to count against the firearms season buck limit, assuming you haven’t already gotten 3 bucks previously. If you got one before in early bow, and one in early muzzleloader season, you’re tagged out on bucks for the 2019-2020 season, unless you buy a bonus buck tag, then you can get your 3rd buck.

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Damn, that price is a lot more palatable! Thanks!

I was looking at Black Eagle Executioner bolts but nervous to pull the trigger because of the cost of lighted nocks on top of $9 per bolt, but with that I think I can justify it.

I shoot the executioner bolts, they are great. I stopped using lighted knocks because my bolts tend to shatter and never able to shoot them again.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hunted this morning and saw nothing, of course around 345pm I look out the window and this guy following a doe. Never fails lol

Attachments

• 20191109_154613.jpg
      20191109_154613.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 282

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes to all. If you shoot a buck with archery equipment during the firearms season, you check that deer to count against the firearms season buck limit, assuming you haven’t already gotten 3 bucks previously. If you got one before in early bow, and one in early muzzleloader season, you’re tagged out on bucks for the 2019-2020 season, unless you buy a bonus buck tag, then you can get your 3rd buck.

Correction only one antler needs 3 or more points.

I say that defensively having gotten a 5-pt last year and a 5-pt 2 hours ago...

Pics after I get it to the butcher. Neighbor is coming to help me haul it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom