• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    SNIP..... My original License expires on 01/30/2020 the reissued permit expires on 10/25/2021....a loss of more than 3 months more than 12 percent. imma fight them on this.

So short answer; all can be done online with minimal delay at https://mpdc.dc.gov/firearms

oh that sucks.. please keep us informed.

Stove,,, did you look at your new expiration date?

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I took my COF this evening and according to the instructor the DC City Council has recently made two changes.

1. If you carry a firearm with less than 10 rd capacity you are now only allowed to carry enough ammo to fully load your firearm twice. If you carry a gun with a six round mag + 1 in the pipe you are now only allowed to carry 14 rds total, down from 20.

If you carry a mag with 10 rd capacity you can still only carry 20 rds total and must download one mag if carrying with one in the pipe. .

That is not a change, that is the way the law was written two years ago. No change in law.

Handgunlan.us as well as those of us her have had it that way two years ago, my instructor did as well in late summer of 2017.

If you have a five shot revolver your maximum has been 5 in the cylinder and a maximum of one speed loader/strip or five loose.Fully load twice as in reload once (10 rounds total carried in and not in gun), not reload twice (15 rounds)

"shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice has been in the law for over two years"

As far as this year being on pace to have 65 justified shootings I seriously doubt it, that would be profoundly higher than the national average. I think they maybe including cops and other non civilian permit holders and or brandish without shooting.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    It definitely was one day renewal, renewal while you wait this past summer. Walk in, and renew, get your new permit in about 20 minutes.

My guess is they are running nics or whatever system that is in more depth than NICS all the time, probably once a quarter at least on all permit holders. Why not? it doesn't cost them anything and is easy with computer systems now.

I had called and checked this past summer since I wanted to know whether to allow lead time and they said they do it in a few minutes: "while you wait."

Online with permit mailed it is about five business days, so they are processing them in two or three days.

I had a hiccup because they said my renewal training was too early but I reminded them they had told me renewal training time expiry were the same as initial training.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I will tomorrow when I pick it up. I did lose 21 days on my last renewal.

FYI I lost a couple of months on my early Virginia renewal. It hurts a bit more for DC since it is 2 years for $75 application fee plus ~$75 for retraining: so it is about $150/24 months in DC compared to $100/60 months for Virginia. So losing two months on DC registration is more costly than losing two months on Virginia one.

but the idea is the same in Virginia: renewal term from renewal date not tacked onto prior expiry date.

Loss of two months DC: $12.50
    Loss of two months Va: $3.33

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    My guess is they are running nics or whatever system that is in more depth than NICS all the time, probably once a quarter at least on all permit holders. Why not? it doesn't cost them anything and is easy with computer systems now.

They probably just put every permit holder and registrant in FBI Rap Back (https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/pia-ngi-rap-back-service.pdf/view). Personnel security offices at Federal agencies are starting to do the same for employees....

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Picked up the new permit today and sure enough it has an expiration date of 10/23/2021. My existing permit expired today.

I asked the clerk why this was and was told that the new expiration date is the day when your renewal paperwork is submitted. I kicked back a little and asked why they didn't just use the same expiration date? She didn't really have an answer other than "those are the rules". So I took it a little farther and asked if I had submitted my renewal paperwork today, the expiration date of my old permit, would I be able to carry until I received the new one since they don't do same day renewal anymore? Oh no, absolutely not, you wouldn't be able to carry during that time period was the reply.

Perhaps a call to the Lt is in order tomorrow.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    I took my COF this evening and according to the instructor the DC City Council has recently made two changes.

1. If you carry a firearm with less than 10 rd capacity you are now only allowed to carry enough ammo to fully load your firearm twice. If you carry a gun with a six round mag + 1 in the pipe you are now only allowed to carry 14 rds total, down from 20.

If you carry a mag with 10 rd capacity you can still only carry 20 rds total and must download one mag if carrying with one in the pipe.

2. Possessing a magazine >10 rds is now a felony with a 5 year sentence for each offense.

Full disclosure - I have not been able to verify this information.

He also told me something else that was interesting, he says that in 2017 there were nine justified shootings by permit holders, in 2018 that number rose to 29 and this year is on pace to have 65.

If true that's a lot less victims and more bad guys getting ventilated in our nation's capitol.

D. C. Police report that the first (and only) shooting involving a person with a CCP was: https://hillrag.com/2019/08/21/man-shoots-potential-robber-at-h-street-bus-stop/ If there were more, you can bet that the WaPo would be reporting them with an anti-gun spin.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    2. Possessing a magazine >10 rds is now a felony with a 5 year sentence for each offense.

Are you sure it didn't go from one year highest misdemeanor no more than one year and/or $2,500 to lowest felony three year and/or $12,500 fine ?

this looks like new language changed this year:

"(4) A person convicted of possessing a large capacity ammunition feeding device in violation of section 601(b) shall be fined no more than the amount set forth in section 101 of the Criminal Fine Proportionality Amendment Act of 2012, effective June 11, 2013 (D.C. Law 19-317; D.C. Official Code § 22-3571.01), or incarcerated for no more than 3 years, or both.".

Kinda fascinating, looks like illegal possession of a gun is one year and not a felony, but even for a legal gun owner possession of say a 14-round magazine is three years, a felony and now, since it is a over one year felony, lifetime ban for firearm possession under federal law. Have I got that right? Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom