• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    My stands are all 40-50 yards or more away from bordering property lines. I am almost always bow only but I do like to pull out my muzzle loader from time to time. Back part of my property that I hunt is about 4 acres and I have permission on adjoining land that gets me to about 16. A lot of it borders up to a horse farm. I hunted the property before I bought it so I have about 20+ years invested in it. Property is posted. I got an email today from the horse farmer about a stand that is 55 yards within my property line. Which means he had to tresspass to take the pic - from behind it. Keep in mind - almost always bow other than 1 or 2 times a year I put 100 grains into the muzzle loader which Imo is pretty quiet compared to a 3 1/2 inch shell in a slug rifle.

Dear Mr Gut Pile
    I wonder if this is your deer stand south of our property? It appears to be more than the required 50 feet from our property line, but we are concerned that it is facing our field with mares and foals grazing in it. Should this installation belong to you, I am politely requesting that you change the orientation so that it faces away from our property. Should a horse be inadvertently hit, or the noise of the shot cause a stampede through the fence, this would be a major problem for which damage you would be liable. This is business for us and Thoroughbreds are valuable, and excitable, horses.

Thank you.
    Horse F-er

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Unless its a major problem, I think I would do what I could to get along with a neighbor. Its better for you.

I disagree. If it is legal for you to hunt on your property, your neighbors dislike of your activity is not your concern. I would counter with a notice that you intend to discharge firearms in the course of legal hunting on your property. If their horses can’t handle it, then they should take precautions to protect their property

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    OP,

Try talking to the neighbor. Sometimes face to face can clear up a lot of misunderstanding. Maybe y'all can work out some kind of arrangement.

Worst case, you can always tell him to pound sand if nothing else works.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I would politely ask if they can continue to place alfalfa hay sections in a slightly upwind position was from your favorite stand location and remove the top board from or two sections of fence. Once you explain that quartering away shots can be made without additional risks by your quarry focusing on getting over the fence your time in stand would be greatly reduced minimizing the chance of error the foals would be subjected to.
    If they didn't mind dropping off a suit cased bale by about 2 everyday for the nest 12 weeks rotating your stand to your strong side would not be an issue.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I would email him back and say that for 20 years you have followed the hunting regulations without an incident, and remind him that he should obey the no tresspassing signs.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Lord Brother, I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

There must be something in horsesh*t or dander that has the potential for inducing narcissism and irrationality in some (too d*mn many [but, not necessarily, all] horse owners!

On the other hand, can’t remember if it was Norris or Lee who opined (loosely translated), “A man is like a piece of steel; when either loses its temper, it loses its effectiveness.”

With that in mind, I might re-orient my stand (doing so will make their next bleating - and let’s face it, WE KNOW THERE IS MORE BULLSH*T COMING - recognizable as “just more unreasonable horse owners”)

BUT!

I’d go out of my way to include a closeup photo of my own, say, from arms length distance or as close as a couple apples and carrots might get me to one of their valuable horses —

attached to a note saying, “Glad to accommodate you and by the way, your horses are amongst the friendliest I’ve ever encountered - they never miss an opportunity to approach my friends and I, anytime any of us are out and about!” (or, make up some make up some compliment about the great condition of a building or some other part of their property you could only know about if you also went welllll onto their property (he-he)...j

Point being, no one will be able to deny your neighborliness BUT! (and more importantly!) THEY WILL GET “THE REAL MESSAGE” - - about the wisdom of staying on their side of the f’ing fence!

Best of luck and, again, I feel your pain -

My wife and I ride, every chance we get. And, we have friends who come close to making a living (or, at least, pissing away their liquid assets) on horses but, that said,

I’ve got stories about some of the utterly stupid sh*t people like this have done to screw things up for target shooters (who were there before they were)! :mad54:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The hatred on social media wastelands like Twitter is well known. People say things with the anonymity of the internet that they would never say to someone face to face. Letters have close to that same interpersonal characteristic. I believe your best chance of finding a mutually agreeable solution is to go see your neighbors and have an in-person conversation. You’re much more likely to work something out now, and avoid unknown problems down the road.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    The hatred on social media wastelands like Twitter is well known. People say things with the anonymity of the internet that they would never say to someone face to face. Letters have close to that same interpersonal characteristic. I believe your best chance of finding a mutually agreeable solution is to go see your neighbors and have an in-person conversation. You’re much more likely to work something out now, and avoid unknown problems down the road.

Not bad advice. Actually, darn good advice (but I’d still have that “me and your valuable thoroughbred” photo in my pocket ... :evilgrin3

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I wouldn't do anything. What you are doing is completely legal.

He made a request that you don't have to honor.

Keep the note, with the picture in case anything escalates, you can prove trespassing.

I'd review the regs to make sure you are still in compliance and go on with your business.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I agree FTF is the only thing going to work out. Logic will not always work with these people. Horses are not livestock to them, they are 1200# ankle biter dogs that can't fit in their purses. Most of these people won't be reasoned with in relations to their horse. There are a few, but if they could be, they would have been reasonable from the start.

BUT these horse people are Bat Sheit Crazy! Thoroughbreds are high strung problematic horses, IMO. Most have them because they adopt racing horses or riding English is what everyone has. I wouldn't have one. I've heard enough stories about people being bitten or hurt by them. Horse people now know nothing about conditioning horses. My daughter used to barrel race with a paint quarter horse we had. I have friends that are ropers and we learned a lot about conditioning. One day at a show a lady when Ape Sheit on me about setting up one of the 12x12 canopies. It was going to scare her horse from the wind. I told her she needed to work on conditioning and train her horse. She proceeded to yell some more about how no horse could handle that. I commanded my daughter to put a lead on her horse and put her under the tarp to keep her out of the sun before the race. To sit in the chair and run her head and relax her. When this lady saw the 1200# quarter horse under this canopy with this 10 year old girl holding her and rubbing her head she gave up.

Also, work along the lines of if they expect you to not use the edges of your property then ask them if they would kindly keep the horses in smaller paddocks "during" hunting season. If they want to unreasonably control your property use, expect the same of them.

Also ask where they found this requirement to have stands 50' from their property edge. I can't find and reference in the hunting guide to this. Tell them you never heard of this and would ask them to show you the law or regulation. I think it's horse crap and they are just trying to control you.

I would go onto craiglist or FB market place and buy every cheap stand I could find. You can get old lock ons for $25 Hang them low facing away from their place 20' inside your property line. Put game cameras on each one and threaten or file charges of trespassing or property destruction or theft when they get broken or disappear. You'll that the proof on the cameras

Try nice first, but when they get stupid set them up and they will act emotionally and unreasonable and entrap themselves if you work smart. They want you to stop hunting near their property lines and will accept no compromises.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Keep the note, with the picture in case anything escalates, you can prove trespassing.

I'd review the regs to make sure you are still in compliance and go on with your business.

I like it. Especially until I got my temper under control...in a week, a month, or next year.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

This.
    Just remember anything you put in email, fb etc never goes away and is discoverable should it get ugly. Meaning it can come back to haunt you. Be careful if and how you respond. As stated, Know the laws.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017

I'm with you here.

People get to used to how they might deal with or talk to someone online, while forgetting that there is a lot to be said for a face to face meeting, that begins with a smile and a handshake.

Unfortunately, he chose instead to trespass and begin like he was starting an angry thread.

That said, he isn't crazy to have concerns, he just has no right to demand anything. Maybe some simple, friendly, neighborly reassurance from you, as the hand of reason and calm would go a long way. Not much easier to begin or harder to end than neighbor feuds... I would at least try the smile and a handshake route.

If he turns out to be an ass clown that opens his door and starts yelling about your irresponsibility, then you have a different path to figure out.

Whatever happens, I wouldn't suggest the trespassing option...that seems a little too much like blatant escalation, which isn't in anyone's best interest.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

^This

If they move or mess with your tree stand, they violate the law by interfering with your hunt, in addition to simple trespassing.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You could request to have him meet you at the property line to show you which stand he is talking about. Bring a 200’ + tape measure and a calm demeanor . Have him stand on his side of the no trespassing markings and start walking to the stand to show him that you are well within your property and lines and well past the minimum distance he is talking about.
    This might deescalate him a bit if he feels like you are actually addressing his letter rather than ignoring him. It will also remind him of exactly where the property lines are Incase he decides to step foot on your property again and tries to clam he thought it was his.
    If that doesn’t work well send him a box of sand to pound away on.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A few well hidden trail cams set up to view your stand and the fence line may not be a bad idea either.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Dear Mr. Gutpile,

First of all who the F does he think he is. He's not starting a conversation in a polite manner. How did he get your E-mail address. I would
    respond, Dear Mr. Horse Trespasser, I received your E mail and picture which depicts you clearly Violating "My No Trespassing signs". I have been on this property for well over 20 years and I comply with all safety and hunting regulations. If you would like to speak to me I would be more than willing to talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alanharper

Latest threads

Top Bottom