• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Most violence is a result of poor economic areas. People don't go around doing crimes if they are employed and able to provide for themselves.

I've lived and traveled significantly in many of the poorest parts of the world, most where I had no fear of violent crime befalling me. China, India, Egypt, Indonesia, wherever. All very poor places, all pretty safe. Other similarly poor areas were very risky. Kenya, DRC, Mexico and others tend to be higher risk.

In my opinion violent crime is fundamentally an ethical issue, not a material issue.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Most violence is a result of poor economic areas. People don't go around doing crimes if they are employed and able to provide for themselves.

No. I'll go with the data and the data says no. There are PLENTY of jurisdictions with equal presence or absence of poverty with widely disparate violent crime rates. so too within a given jurisdiction with a relative steady poverty rate violent crime can vary a LOT,

It is a factor, but so to is sentencing lenience on crime. The more felons and repeat violent criminal let out onto the street after shorter time served the more violent crime.

Study after study shows that violent crime is committed by a TINY cohort of repeat criminals. so poverty in general is not the issue since the vast majority of people who are under the poverty line never commit a violent crime/ It is whether that cohort is in prison or on the streets at a given time and place that is the clearest correlation (and obviously causative).

In Baltimore over 80% of homicide perps -- and over 90% of homicide victims -- have felony or ten or more arrest histories. the majority of of poor Baltimore residents do NOT have that kind of arrest history. It is a small specific cohort committing these crimes.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Study after study shows that violent crime is committed by a TINY cohort of repeat criminals. so poverty in general is not the issue since the vast majority of people who are under the poverty line never commit a violent crime/ It is whether that cohort is in prison or on the streets at a given time and place that is the clearest correlation (and obviously causative).

In Baltimore over 80% of homicide perps -- and over 90% of homicide victims -- have felony or ten or more arrest histories. the majority of of poor Baltimore residents do NOT have that kind of arrest history. It is a small specific cohort committing these crimes.

Violent crime in particular is also highly correlated with low IQ (or whatever your general intelligence metric of choice happens to be), and the median intellect of a particular area will be a major determinant of just how frequently new violent offenders will emerge from its local population. It's partially about making sure that violent offenders get out away and stay there, but even with good enforcement, different areas will still have different levels of violent crime related directly to the average intellects of the people living there and the kids that they produce.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Violent crime in particular is also highly correlated with low IQ (or whatever your general intelligence metric of choice happens to be), and the median intellect of a particular area will be a major determinant of just how frequently new violent offenders will emerge from its local population. It's partially about making sure that violent offenders get out away and stay there, but even with good enforcement, different areas will still have different levels of violent crime related directly to the average intellects of the people living there and the kids that they produce.

Sounds like you'd support a return to eugenics, forced sterilisation, literacy tests for voters and all that sort of thing.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I feel like your reading outdated text books that still say we can predict criminality via physical attributes.

The truth is there are a lot of really smart drug dealers out there.

I’d say most murder/robbery i see is opportunistic but seriously the drug trade has some folks that had they applied themselves to a different product could be very rich.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Sounds like you'd support a return to eugenics, forced sterilisation, literacy tests for voters and all that sort of thing.

Nah, it's more about understanding that in an intellectually diverse society you're inevitably going to have more violent criminality than you would see among, say, one comprised solely of native Danes or the Japanese, and that the varied degrees of antisocial behavior within different populations is probably heritable in origin, meaning that the disparities will likely persist to a certain degree despite considerable social interventions meant to minimize them.

Eugenics and literacy tests only make sense if you derive the inherent worth of a person off of how intelligent or unintelligent they are. That said, there probably IS a discussion to be had about who should or shouldn't vote, based on their general intelligence, but its no different from how we don't let 6 year olds or the intellectually handicapped vote, either.

I feel like your reading outdated text books that still say we can predict criminality via physical attributes.

Only if you consider Robert Plomin, Steven Pinker, or David Reich's latest writings to be "outdated".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Highly intelligent , highly organized ( their thought processes , not OC affiliation ) criminals do exist , but are outliers . Kind of like 7 foot tall humans exist .

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Well up to 74 now (1 more than last year at this date)

But more importantly DC Council Member Jack Evans house is currently being raided by the FBI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...conducted-at-dc-councilmember-jack-evans-home

"for allegedly mixing personal business dealings with his official position..."

Totally unsurprising from the guy that uses the 'Council Member' tags as an out to constantly park in crosswalk, intersections, and handicap spaces. I hope they throw the book at him.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Bummers.

He is the least radical leftist of the bunch.

Because he is white and old? Still hates the 2A, and all for tax, tax, tax, and spend (with more than a bit to benefit himself evidently). Did he raise a fuss about the trolley or any of the redistribution policies of rob and neglect from Ward 2 & 3 to handout to the rest of the city?i think not.

Typical drapery of a “what’s good for thee is not for me” leftist. No different than the rest. As a long time constituent of his, I say eff him. Not to say he will he replaced by anyone better.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Violent crime in particular is also highly correlated with low IQ (or whatever your general intelligence metric of choice happens to be), and the median intellect of a particular area will be a major determinant of just how frequently new violent offenders will emerge from its local population.

Bob do you really get that from the comment Steve made?
    Observing facts, is not the same thing as recommending actions

Does observing that smokers get cancer mean that one is recommending sterilizing smokers??

An there is already "eugenics" going on in the US with regard to IQ. Some people with their health providers are getting embryos tested for genetic conditions, including some intellectual defects, right now when doing IVF where an embryo is selected from a set of fertilized embryos.

Are you saying you oppose letting parents decide if, out of a dozen fertilized eggs, they will skip implanting the ones with a genetic defect influencing IQ? That is eugenics.

IQ is both genetic and environmental, more genetic based, but certainly with inputs from both, and we know for a fact that lower IQ is very strongly associated with violent crime commission.

That is not "outdated," but all the current science. Nations with lower average IQ have higher crime rates, states with lower average IQ have higher crime rates, and even siblings in the same family those with lower IQ are more likely to commit crime.

As far as physical attributes correlating to violent criminality, all the evidence is that key attributes, such as IQ, mental capability, whether or not you have a penis, is hugely correlated to violent crime commission.

So what can we do to influence IQ and therefor reduce crime? Well even though it is mostly genetic, it is not all genetic. Now we can't (yet) make someone with a genetic based maximum of 90 IQ go higher, but we can keep them from going lower -- through proper nutrition, better education.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Bob do you really get that from the comment Steve made?
    Observing facts, is not the same thing as recommending actions

Does observing that smokers get cancer mean that one is recommending sterilizing smokers??

An there is already "eugenics" going on in the US with regard to IQ. Some people with their health providers are getting embryos tested for genetic conditions, including some intellectual defects, right now when doing IVF where an embryo is selected from a set of fertilized embryos.

Are you saying you oppose letting parents decide if, out of a dozen fertilized eggs, they will skip implanting the ones with a genetic defect influencing IQ? That is eugenics.

IQ is both genetic and environmental, more genetic based, but certainly with inputs from both, and we know for a fact that lower IQ is very strongly associated with violent crime commission.

That is not "outdated," but all the current science. Nations with lower average IQ have higher crime rates, states with lower average IQ have higher crime rates, and even siblings in the same family those with lower IQ are more likely to commit crime.

As far as physical attributes correlating to violent criminality, all the evidence is that key attributes, such as IQ, mental capability, whether or not you have a penis, is hugely correlated to violent crime commission.

So what can we do to influence IQ and therefor reduce crime? Well even though it is mostly genetic, it is not all genetic. Now we can't (yet) make someone with a genetic based maximum of 90 IQ go higher, but we can keep them from going lower -- through proper nutrition, better education.

I'm going through the IVF process with my wife right now and they don't select for anything other than chromosomal defects and gender, since the 23rd pair of chromosomes determines sex. It's after implantation during pregnancy that they can look at genetic traits and that still won't determine IQ. So long story short I believe you are incorrect in your statement.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    This has been a pretty violent 36 hours. Real numbers will come out Mon/Tues.

All the incidents are sad but a damn 11 year old. Come on DC!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom