• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I thought one of the ideas behind trying polymer cases was to discourage the pickup of cases for reloading. Scenario: military engages enemy, leaves spent cases all over the place, enemy picks them up, reloads them, and fights back. Looking around, the other claim I saw was it was 30% less weight. But, I also found this:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/25/pcp-polymer-cased-ammo-warning/

When I was overseas all of the spent .50 cal brass was collected and locked up. Turned out unsavory local nationals on base had been stealing it and the brass was being used in IEDs against us.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    It's probably not reloadable. Not by today's methods anyway. Once it expands, it probably would take heat, not pressure to size it back to specs. If at all.

If possible it would be finite amount of reloads with re-sizing. Depending on types of plastic it could become brittle or weak.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Don’t forget the venerable Dardick HIVAP 30 cal machine gun and the food made for it: The Tround.

Attachments

• 7E3847C4-1A9F-4A3E-9CB4-0061BD8F369E.jpeg
      7E3847C4-1A9F-4A3E-9CB4-0061BD8F369E.jpeg
      57 KB · Views: 169

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    More easily stretch. increased bolt thrust. Neck tension. I'll pass on it

I can understand not wanting to use a plastic case. They probably won't hold up for reloading long, if at all. They'll probably be designed to be thrown out.
    So I won't use them unless there is a significant cost advantage and longevity is proven in reloading.
    In the initial factory load, all the stretch and bold thrust is accounted for in the case design and load recipe. Engineers, technicians, Company officers, and lawyers aren't looking to be sued off the planet.
    There was a company that sold steel and/or brass head nylon cases a couple of decades ago. They failed because we're all old farts that can't change our spots.
    All plastic shotshells have been marketed for decades. Some brands had a steel disk in the base, but that was for primer pop reliability, not to hold the pressure. Polymers can hold 60k psi as well as brass if it's designed correctly - proven, not theory, as they were marketed.
    But choices is choices and we all do what we feel happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom