• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Assists21

Jan 17, 2013
    Not a big time poster on here, but why in the world do so many people think that when Mike and Mike leave things will get better? The tyranny in this state is rooted much deeper than just those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    This in no way surprises me but I have to try and put a positive spin on it. With the back log and the inevitable appeal by MSP to the OHA this will at least speed up the process even if they are a rubber stamp for MSP.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    MGA = Laws made with lies by vindictive, hateful people with "Choose Civility" bumper stickers on their cars.

Imagine that...a law conceived and passed based solely on a lie.

A MANUFACTURED CRISIS.

This is absolute proof (as if we needed any more proof) that the Maryland General Assembly process is completely BROKEN, and run by tyranny.

Box 1 and 2 are absolutely dead.

Not a big time poster on here, but why in the world do so many people think that when Mike and Mike leave things will get better? The tyranny in this state is rooted much deeper than just those two.

The Speaker and Senate President seat are traditionally "given" (through an election) to the most senior Senator and Delegate. Just google both sides of the general assembly and you can see who is waiting in the wings...

(SPOILER ALERT, IT AIN'T GETTING ANY BETTER ONCE THOSE 2 ARE GONE....and it might get much worse)

MGA = Laws made with lies by vindictive, hateful people with "Choose Civility" bumper stickers on their cars.

A MANUFACTURED CRISIS.

This is absolute proof (as if we needed any more proof) that the Maryland General Assembly process is completely BROKEN, and run by tyranny.

And box 3 is severely broken...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The Speaker and Senate President seat are traditionally "given" (through an election) to the most senior Senator and Delegate. Just google both sides of the general assembly and you can see who is waiting in the wings...

(SPOILER ALERT, IT AIN'T GETTING ANY BETTER ONCE THOSE 2 ARE GONE....and it might get much worse)

This is our(voters) fault. We shouldn't have any "senior" senators. One and done, voter imposed term limits.

Assists21

Jan 17, 2013

Wholeheartedly agree...Mike and Mike are a symptoms of the problem. The roots of tyranny reside in an unaccountable legislature. This HPRB Bill is a prime example. The MDGA answers to no one. Though the state level provides no relief for liberty and freedom, I do see a ray of hope coming from a SCOTUS that is mindful on the Constitution.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I needed a refresher on the boxes.

MjAxMy00Y2RkZjZhNzBlYjRiZTgz.png

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

A MANUFACTURED CRISIS.

Whenever I see one of those, I say to myself, "I've got your civility right here, pal!"

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland

It depends on what you mean by 'better', and any answer has to take some Maryland history into account.

Without getting too much into the weeds, Mike and Mike inherited a political machine that has existed in Maryland since the civil war, one of the most effective in the country and one of the oldest in the world. This machine has effectively funneled votes upwards to the MGA in exchange for favorable legislation and funding downwards to the localities. This system requires the people running it to have enough experience and competence to keep the dems in the MGA voting as a cohesive unit, one that can deliver on promises made to people getting them votes down the ladder by effectively whipping votes and strongarming things they need to deliver. Mike and Mike have this ability in spades, but this is where the problem starts for them.

The trouble now is that they have been in power for so long. Like a really long time. For context, the average tenure of an MD senate president throughout our history has been somewhere around 3 or 4 years, with the rare exception being something like 6 or 7. Mike Miller has been senate president for 32. THIRTY TWO. That's insane. For more context, there are no legislators in Annapolis who have ever had a senate president that wasn't Mike Miller. Not a single one has had the chance to get experience in that role, because it has always been him.

What does this mean? It means that when he goes, there will be a power vacuum. Because the job requires so many soft skills and the ability to cajole, threaten, and reward for good behavior, not just in the senate but in the entire state Democratic party apparatus, when the person at the top leaves, all of that built up stability which relies on them and their ability to do the above evaporates. To put it most bluntly, nobody else has experience doing the actual job of being senate president and keeping the political machine going.

Long story short, I believe the coming leadership battle will be an utter shitstorm for the Democrats. I don't think it will be enough to shake their majority, but it will severely cramp the ability of the machine to deliver on promises made to local party officials who need to make good on those promises in order to deliver votes to the MGA.

Like any autocracy, it's only as effective as the guy at the top. Once he leaves, if they haven't got someone as good waiting in the wings, it starts to fall apart.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I believe if the majority of MD citizens knew about these bills and the bogus and outright lies during testimony. They would be outraged. But, they are not informed by the complicit media.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    "It's good to be the king"

Even if Miller is out, after 32 years there could be some residual influence? I'm guessing the hprb has been repealed?

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    "It's good to be the king"

Even if Miller is out, after 32 years there could be some residual influence? I'm guessing the hprb has been repealed?

It has not been eliminated yet, but probably will be. The house still needs to vote on it.

Regarding your other question, I don't know. The cohesiveness of the MGA to deliver legislation that benefits those who vote for them is the only way the system stays together. That cohesiveness doesn't just appear because you have a D next to your name- you need to have trust, history, and a reputation that you will punish members of the MGA who won't do what you want. Miller has that currently, but it will be hard for him to exert that influence on behalf of a successor especially if his health continues to deteriorate.

A nasty leadership conflict that hurts feelings all around (which is entirely possible since there is no clear successor) will seriously undermine that trust and cohesiveness between the members, which in turn will make it hard for someone who's never even been president to prove that they can keep members in line, which is what is needed if you want to establish a reputation as someone who needs to be respected.

In addition, the leadership of the senate is chosen by the members themselves, not the party. This means that when Miller goes, various senators will likely have to shop around the senate to get the votes to become senate president, and this includes shopping for Republican senate votes.

I'm not saying that suddenly everything is going to get better. I am saying there is a chance that we will be looking at a much weaker legislative leadership that we've seen in a long time, and for us, that is a good thing.

Assists21

Jan 17, 2013
    It depends on what you mean by 'better', and any answer has to take some Maryland history into account.

Without getting too much into the weeds, Mike and Mike inherited a political machine that has existed in Maryland since the civil war, one of the most effective in the country and one of the oldest in the world. This machine has effectively funneled votes upwards to the MGA in exchange for favorable legislation and funding downwards to the localities. This system requires the people running it to have enough experience and competence to keep the dems in the MGA voting as a cohesive unit, one that can deliver on promises made to people getting them votes down the ladder by effectively whipping votes and strongarming things they need to deliver. Mike and Mike have this ability in spades, but this is where the problem starts for them.

The trouble now is that they have been in power for so long. Like a really long time. For context, the average tenure of an MD senate president throughout our history has been somewhere around 3 or 4 years, with the rare exception being something like 6 or 7. Mike Miller has been senate president for 32. THIRTY TWO. That's insane. For more context, there are no legislators in Annapolis who have ever had a senate president that wasn't Mike Miller. Not a single one has had the chance to get experience in that role, because it has always been him.

What does this mean? It means that when he goes, there will be a power vacuum. Because the job requires so many soft skills and the ability to cajole, threaten, and reward for good behavior, not just in the senate but in the entire state Democratic party apparatus, when the person at the top leaves, all of that built up stability which relies on them and their ability to do the above evaporates. To put it most bluntly, nobody else has experience doing the actual job of being senate president and keeping the political machine going.

Long story short, I believe the coming leadership battle will be an utter shitstorm for the Democrats. I don't think it will be enough to shake their majority, but it will severely cramp the ability of the machine to deliver on promises made to local party officials who need to make good on those promises in order to deliver votes to the MGA.

Like any autocracy, it's only as effective as the guy at the top. Once he leaves, if they haven't got someone as good waiting in the wings, it starts to fall apart.

Good insight...kind of reminds me of the Dems on the national stage since Obama has left office. No clear face of the party.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I believe if the majority of MD citizens knew about these bills and the bogus and outright lies during testimony. They would be outraged. But, they are not informed by the complicit media.

You give the majority of MD citizens way too much credit.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The state of Maryland is one big Shithouse of Democrats that have ruined a state and city . Lots of stealing and backroom deals , The local government officials are getting rich over the dumb-asses that vote Democrat that is why the city is in the mess they find themselves in on a normal basis .

People want the warm fuzzes when they vote for these dirtbags that say we will "give" you "free" stuff like education , healthcare and numerous other free programs i wonder who pays for that stuff . The government don't pay shit towards anything the idiot voters thinks the government pays for the programs ... No we pay for them , we would not run or business or home in the same fashion so why do you expect free stuff .

And lets get to lying , those politicians will lie any chance they get .
    If i ever get the chance to leave this shit-hole of Md. i will be happy to move somewhere that the Democrats have not screwed up yet .:mad54::mad54::mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom