• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Well most you regurgitate things you read from internet anyway. My brother-in-law took 16 shots of 9mm to his chest still here with us. I guy i knew in high school got shot by cops in a stolen car never knew he got shot until his arrest. Finally, i knew 2 guys who got in a fight with each other. One guy shot the other 4 times and the guy shot still took the weapon from him and beat his ass and the other guy went to prison for 6 years. So you keep believing all the things you read on the internet.

That's nothing. I know a guy who was bombed with a nuke. Twice. And he lived to his '70s.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    th

:lol::lol:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    No handgun caliber makes everyone go down all the time. People have been shot with .44 magnums and kept coming. Most of the times people go down when they are shot with handgun it’s because of fear and the shock of being shot. Even a heart shot won’t kill a person immediately. My cousin shot a guy high on coke right in the heart with 45+P right in the heart. The guy kept coming. Sure he bled out, but not after fighting more.

Unless you hit the brain stem, you are not a guaranteed of a one stop shot.

That's for sure. I shot a deer with a 12ga slug and it turned around and ran 50 yrds before it dropped. When we skinned it the R shoulder was smashed, the heart was destroyed and the L shoulder was smashed and the slug was found between the skin and the muscle on the L side. I'm sure glad that deer wasn't carrying a gun. He might have killed me!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    ??? The Fed HS .40 is slower than the Fed HS 9mm by 120 FPS.
    It a fact that bullet expansion is directly related to velocity. Its hard to design a bullet that will reliably expand at velocities of 1000 FPS or slower Its simply physics.

A bullet below 1000fps won't reliably expand? I would love to see a source for that. Because a lot of .40 and .45 JHP ammo apparently hasn't been told that. :)

Second, expansion is not directly correlated to velocity. Look up the tests of 9mm +P+ JHP rounds that fail to expand specifically because of the excessive velocity.

Lastly I was talking about speed and weight when I talked about .40 being too hot a round for the Hydra Shok bullet. 180 grains is a lot heavier than 124/147 grains. It's simply too hot a round for the bullet design IMHO. I'm really not talking out of my butt here. :) I read enough autopsy reports with core jacket separations after the bullets were recovered to form an opinion. Speer Gold Dot and similar work much better in .40, likely due to their more modern bonded jacket.

Believe what you want. I worked for the freakin' ammo companies for years after I left LE on top of seeing what different spent bullets looked like after being removed from dead bodies. I know what I'll trust and what I won't!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not just the price of the pistol that is the budget concern . Using less hours, and fewer rounds to get all the Ofc "qualified" is a big deal to bean counters . ( To "us" popping rounds is fun , and somthing we pay to do . To bean counters , every minute someone is at the range is a minute that either they are getting overtime, or the person taking their place at usual assignment is getting overtime .

As I disclaimed before , the .40 per se doesn't particularly impress me . If you want to move up from the reasonably adaquate 9mm ( or .38 +P ) , don't do half ass, half way measures . Step up to .357 Mag, .45acp, .357Sig, full power 10mm, etc .

Without comment on the .40 180gr Hydra Shok specifically , I will observe the .45 230gr Hydra Shok works well .

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Your dept. may have been better off testing some Gold Dot or Golden Saber similar bonded jacket HP .40 ammo. I really think the bonded jacket makes the difference in performance for that round.
    My department was looking to get rid of the Glock 40, not the Hydrashok round. Through an agreement with Glock, we were able to trade in our G22s for G17 or G19's at full price... We kept the Glock platform so we didn't need to retrain officers, buy new holsters, new gun lights, etc etc. We switched to 9's. So far, the gun and ammo sure seem effective. An officer shot and killed a bank robber this morning with lowly 9mm rounds...
    https://wjla.com/news/local/montgomery-county-police-armed-bank-robbery-silver-spring

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Funny thing is, back in the day, DC cops used the glock 17 and still does and Maryland cops like PG county and MSP use Beretta 92f both 9mm, since the switched over from revolvers and they didn't go to the .40 cal when the FBI did back then but MSP and PG sure did seem to find some benefit in using it since 2008. From my understanding they needed more stopping power and they sure don't seem to be wanting to follow the FBI in the switching back to 9mm decision now. Funny

FYI one of those agencies is 95% chance going back to 9mm

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My department was looking to get rid of the Glock 40, not the Hydrashok round. Through an agreement with Glock, we were able to trade in our G22s for G17 or G19's at full price... We kept the Glock platform so we didn't need to retrain officers, buy new holsters, new gun lights, etc etc. We switched to 9's. So far, the gun and ammo sure seem effective. An officer shot and killed a bank robber this morning with lowly 9mm rounds...
    https://wjla.com/news/local/montgomery-county-police-armed-bank-robbery-silver-spring

Impossible. You can take 16 9mm rounds to the chest and live.

Dec 7, 2018
    Remember the girl who shot the guy point blank in the head with that glock 26 on facebook live earlier last years. I would have thought it would have killed him instantly. As for my brother in law, i surely didn't believe he would make it through but he did and yes it was 16 hits. I don't like to play around with death or someone else's misfortune like that so i certainly wouldn't put a lie into the universe like that. Just sharing some info I've seen personally on the subject.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Remember the girl who shot the guy point blank in the head with that glock 26 on facebook live earlier last years. I would have thought it would have killed him instantly. As for my brother in law, i surely didn't believe he would make it through but he did and yes it was 16 hits. I don't like to play around with death or someone else's misfortune like that so i certainly wouldn't put a lie into the universe like that. Just sharing some info I've seen personally on the subject.
    https://www.today.com/news/florida-woman-survives-gunshot-between-eyes-wbna23914454
    Fun times with terminal ballistics....

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Saw a 16 year old take a .40 to skull. Bullet traveled around the skull and exited the forehead never penetrating the actual skull.

Once met a guy with 3 holes in his chest from a 9mm. Had a normal everyday conversation with him to keep his mind off his wounds. We even laughed together awaiting the ambulance. He was standing. He died at the hospital.

Once met a chick that took a 45 slug to the boob. She was crazy scared but very nice. Perfect round hole in her upper boob, no blood. She survived.

Bullets do wonky things. I’ve seen a lot of dead/dying people and i can tell you this 9/45/45/25/22/38/357 i don’t wanna be shot by any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom