• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    antco, I probably speak for more than myself here when I say the only thing that exceeds my appreciation for your providing all this follow-up information are: a) my relief y’all discovered these issues BEFORE any deed transferred; AND, b) our wishes for you and the sellers to reach a successful “Win/Win” and many decades of enjoyment in your new home(s).

(Where we’re at now, the higher one goes up the mountains, etc. to build, the more challenging installing a septic system that passes muster with the state can be — the info you provide above is likely gonna help others, way beyond the members of this thread! :thumbsup:

Best o’ Success to y’all ! :party29:

I share the experiences so we can all learn from it. Especially with this fairly new and unfamiliar technology.

The installation contract between the contractor and seller was forwarded to me this morning. Total cost for the seller: $14,450 to do the following:
    • Remove five large trees on the north property line/new drain field area
    • Remove numerous small trees and scrub brush
    • Decommission and collapse in place existing tank and pump chamber
    • Install new tank
    • Install new Orenco AX-RT treatment system
    • Install new distribution box and drain field
    • Relocate existing fence off of new drain field

The seller takes the $14,450 costs, and a grant was issued by the Bay Restoration Fund to cover the remaining portion of the overall repair costs. This work is expected to take five working days. Once everyone signs off that the work has been completed according to design and permits, we can then close on this house purchase.

I'm thinking about requesting the large trees that get dropped are delimbed, and the major portion of the tree left on the property for me to process into firewood for my future use.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The seller takes the $14,450 costs, and a grant was issued by the Bay Restoration Fund to cover the remaining portion of the overall repair costs. This work is expected to take five working days. Once everyone signs off that the work has been completed according to design and permits, we can then close on this house purchase.

I'm thinking about requesting the large trees that get dropped are delimbed, and the major portion of the tree left on the property for me to process into firewood for my future use.

What is the total ? This sounds like a bargain for the scope of work described.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    What is the total ? This sounds like a bargain for the scope of work described.

That has not been disclosed to me, but the sellers are eligible for the full amount of BRF assistance. "The Health Department will directly pay the vendor of the BAT after the system has been installed and inspected. The manufacturer will then pay the subcontractors for their work (electrical, plumbing, tank removal, installation, and other costs). The grant shall not reimburse a property owner for a system that has been installed without going through the grant process."

The BRF will pay up to $20,000 for the connection to a public sewer system.

They're installing a new 1,000 gallon settling tank and an Orenco Advantex AXRT20 secondary treatment system, pumping into a new drain field.

Good reading:
    https://www.aahealth.org/bay-restoration-septic-fund/
    https://www.calverthealth.org/community/environmentalhealthservices/brf.htm
    https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/water/bayrestorationfund/pages/index.aspx
    https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/w...salSystems/Documents/BAT Ranking Document.pdf

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I was sent the documentation for the approved Bay Restoration Fund grant this morning. Total BRF payment: $18,307.

$14,450 Seller to contractor charge
    $18,307 BRF to the product distributor, Atlantic Solutions
    =$32,757 plus permit and application fees

A key learning lesson here: Know the condition of your septic system prior to placing your home on the market.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I was sent the documentation for the approved Bay Restoration Fund grant this morning. Total BRF payment: $18,307.

$14,450 Seller to contractor charge
    $18,307 BRF to the product distributor, Atlantic Solutions
    =$32,757 plus permit and application fees

A key learning lesson here: Know the condition of your septic system prior to placing your home on the market.

That sound more in line with what I would have expected for a septic system replacement.

I am sure the yard is a mudpit right now. If you go digging, you may find a backhoe or two.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    That sound more in line with what I would have expected for a septic system replacement.

I am sure the yard is a mudpit right now. If you go digging, you may find a backhoe or two.

I'm planning to go down there tomorrow and supervise (be nosy). There's no way they're meeting their 2nd deadline of 12/21 completion.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I'm planning to go down there tomorrow and supervise (be nosy). There's no way they're meeting their 2nd deadline of 12/21 completion.

You dont want them to. This is a job you want to have done right.

3in of rain in december is pretty much and 'act of god'. I was out of town this weekend, but when I came back sunday night I met a guy called 'Noah' in my yard, he was looking for some animals or something.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    You dont want them to. This is a job you want to have done right.

3in of rain in december is pretty much and 'act of god'. I was out of town this weekend, but when I came back sunday night I met a guy called 'Noah' in my yard, he was looking for some animals or something.

I agree, and had that conversation last week with my realtor. I want the job done right; not rushed. They're not going to make the 12/28 date either, that's 100% confirmed. Completion and closing will be in January.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    32k for a septic system? Crap. That is outrageous. So much for affordable housing. Maybe you well should have a chlorination system as well at a micron filter and flouride dispenser. So, before you break ground, you have 50k into a well and septic.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    The tanks are set in the ground, weighed down with concrete, and plumbed together. Electrical is 100% completed. The plumber will be onsite this Wednesday to elevate the main drain line out of the house and make the house to septic tank connection.

The drainfield has yet to be dug out and installed.

The sellers and us have signed paperwork to agree to a 11JAN closing and I’ve scheduled my moving company for a 14JAN move in.

The seller is irate. I’m pretty “whatever” at this point. I’m pleased with the construction progress. My lender is a miracle worker with working through these delays and rate locks.

Do you know what I’m the most excited about? Being able to setup my Dillon 650 again and get back to shooting!!!! It’s been a long 15 months without it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Why is the seller irate ? His septic failed and it's not trivial to fix. The joys of owning a rural home.

They announced this past week that 'perc season' has started for St Marys. I would not want to try to perc a lot this year. You can dig a hole anywhere and make a shallow well right now.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Why is the seller irate ? His septic failed and it's not trivial to fix. The joys of owning a rural home.

They seem to fail to comprehend the very simple concept which you so clearly laid out. I think their stress of being “trapped” in this situation may be fueling some of the irrational thoughts. They had already bought heir next home and mostly moved prior to putting this house on the market.

Their realtor seems a bit irrational as well, which surely can’t be helping. I’ve lost my patience with her and her suggestions of costs I should absorb. She’s insane.

It has been a challenging purchase but there’s not much inventory available this time of year at my price point, with the curb appeal I want, and the elementary school rankings. It’s a difficult balance. If this deal fails we’ll shut down until spring when listings ramp up for summer moves.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    And this is why you sell your house “as is”

And it would have sold for $80k less and only to a cash investor. Or a sucker.

This is why you pay to have your own home inspected by a professional home inspector prior to buying another home and listing yours for sale after owning for ~29 years.

I doubt I’m a typical buyer, but if the term as-is is in the MLS listing, I close and move on. Immediately.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

This is why you pay to have your own home inspected by a professional home inspector prior to buying another home and listing yours for sale after owning for ~29 years.

I doubt I’m a typical buyer, but if the term as-is is in the MLS listing, I close and move on. Immediately.

I have found home inspectors not to be particular useful. They are great at pointing out that broken window lift spring or cracked caulk around a sill, but when it comes to septic, roof and HVAC they are pretty useless.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville

Well I know I won’t be out any money , I bought mine as a foreclosure, 100k under its actual value so even selling it as is I’ll make money, and I know the hvac (is sized properly unlike the original system) , plumbing and electrical is all up to code
    Nice being a tradesmen.

And with my house being close to all the military bases it will sell !

As for home inspectors in this area they are only good in whatever trade they came from.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I have found home inspectors not to be particular useful. They are great at pointing out that broken window lift spring or cracked caulk around a sill, but when it comes to septic, roof and HVAC they are pretty useless.

Agreed , I remember when the inspector did my house and claimed the heat pump didn’t work (batteries were dead in the stat ) pointed it out to him , even pointed it out to him the system was undersized .... also nice having manual J to do the load calculation.

Either way here in good ole red clay land septic systems are doomed and half the home owners don’t get the tanks pumped nor inspected until there’s a problem just like with there ac or heat or water heater l.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

This company was a septic inspection company first and foremost. Two months ago, I didn’t know much of anything about a septic system. They showed up with a backhoe and a septic pumper truck for the home inspection.

While they did that, I wandered all over the exterior and interior turning on lights and faucets. They did the attic inspection and GFI tests. They opened the electrical panels but I inspected the interior of the panels while the covers were off. I had a separate HVAC company come in just to inspect the entire HVAC system.

They brought things to my attention, and I brought some things to their attention. But I will always be of the belief that my $1,400 was well spent and allowed me to dodge a $31k problem.

Edit: I see where you all are coming from, and can relate. A home inspector I used once in AZ was a complete waste of his $400 charge. That dipshit didn’t catch the fact that half of the house had no heat source! I learned my lesson after that experience.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Agreed , I remember when the inspector did my house and claimed the heat pump didn’t work (batteries were dead in the stat ) pointed it out to him , even pointed it out to him the system was undersized .... also nice having manual J to do the load calculation.

Either way here in good ole red clay land septic systems are doomed and half the home owners don’t get the tanks pumped nor inspected until there’s a problem just like with there ac or heat or water heater l.

Sandy loamy soil on this lot. Some of the holes they’ve dug look like piles of ocean beach sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom