Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2018, 01:08 AM #751
whistlersmother whistlersmother is offline
Peace through strength
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fulton, MD
Posts: 4,164
whistlersmother whistlersmother is offline
Peace through strength
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fulton, MD
Posts: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
No. The law says you have to APPLY for ATF authorization. Which is why sending the letter before 10/1 (as nicely explained by the federal judge, and helpfully assisted by MSI) is your 1-year remedy for this situation until October 2019. By which time, no doubt, we'll see either a proper injunction, or hopefully an outright defeat of the silly law.
Yes. The question assumed application before 10/2018 and poster's words indicated under all cases possession was illegal after 10/2019. That's not what the law says. IF one gets approval, after applying, before 10/2019, then possession is legal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
How strangely will the tools of a tyrant pervert the plain meaning of words! - Samuel Adams
whistlersmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 08:04 AM #752
Hawkeye's Avatar
Hawkeye Hawkeye is offline
The Leatherstocking
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,566
Hawkeye Hawkeye is offline
The Leatherstocking
Hawkeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
No. The law says you have to APPLY for ATF authorization. Which is why sending the letter before 10/1 (as nicely explained by the federal judge, and helpfully assisted by MSI) is your 1-year remedy for this situation until October 2019. By which time, no doubt, we'll see either a proper injunction, or hopefully an outright defeat of the silly law.
No to you.

Whistlersmother is correct. You must have applied to ATF for approval to own them before 10/1/18. However, you must have received approval to own them before 10/1/19 or they become illegal.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:34 AM #753
CypherPunk's Avatar
CypherPunk CypherPunk is offline
Opinions Are My Own
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,616
Images: 8
CypherPunk CypherPunk is offline
Opinions Are My Own
CypherPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,616
Images: 8
BUMP STOCK SUIT FILED!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Should I have my signature notarized?
A. No. Proving your identity and having your signature witnessed by a notary is completely unnecessary.

Q. Can I email the completed form?
A. No. The form should be sent via independent, trackable carrier. Recommended options include United States Postal Service Certified Mail, United Parcel Service or FedEx. Email is not recommended.

Q. Isnít this the wrong zip code for the ATF?
A. No. Please send your completed form to the mailing address indicated on the form.

Q. Can I alter the form to include methods, etc.
A. No. Multiple knowledgeable attorneys collaborated on the exact wording of each part of the form. It is not advised you alter any part of the text in any way.

Q. Can you fill in and submit the form for me.
A. No.

Q. Why mail the form if the ATF already said that they will not receive or act on my application?
A. Maryland law only requires that you apply to the ATF to be protected during the interim period, until October 1, 2019. Maryland law does not require the ATF to accept or even acknowledge your application.

Q. Who would consider gun oil (or anything else) unlawful to possess under Maryland law?
A. A Federal Judge has already concluded that gun oil could be construed as unlawful to possess under the current definition of the law.
__________________
Notice: The opinions and views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organization with which I may, or may not be affiliated.

2018 Frederick IWLA Training Schedule
Maryland Firearms Wiki & FAQ - Contribute!
CypherPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:37 AM #754
Qbeam's Avatar
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,846
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
Qbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,846
Sent Priority Mail ($6.70), 9/24/18, tracking shows delivery 9/26/18.

Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:40 AM #755
DC-W's Avatar
DC-W DC-W is offline
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Į\_(ツ)_/Į
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 21,161
DC-W DC-W is offline
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Į\_(ツ)_/Į
DC-W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 21,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbeam View Post
Sent Priority Mail ($6.70), 9/24/18, tracking shows delivery 9/26/18.

Q
Fantastic!
DC-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:21 PM #756
Bountied's Avatar
Bountied Bountied is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 615
Bountied Bountied is offline
Member
Bountied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherPunk View Post
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Should I have my signature notarized?
A. No. Proving your identity and having your signature witnessed by a notary is completely unnecessary.

Q. Can I email the completed form?
A. No. The form should be sent via independent, trackable carrier. Recommended options include United States Postal Service Certified Mail, United Parcel Service or FedEx. Email is not recommended.

Q. Isnít this the wrong zip code for the ATF?
A. No. Please send your completed form to the mailing address indicated on the form.

Q. Can I alter the form to include methods, etc.
A. No. Multiple knowledgeable attorneys collaborated on the exact wording of each part of the form. It is not advised you alter any part of the text in any way.

Q. Can you fill in and submit the form for me.
A. No.

Q. Why mail the form if the ATF already said that they will not receive or act on my application?
A. Maryland law only requires that you apply to the ATF to be protected during the interim period, until October 1, 2019. Maryland law does not require the ATF to accept or even acknowledge your application.

Q. Who would consider gun oil (or anything else) unlawful to possess under Maryland law?
A. A Federal Judge has already concluded that gun oil could be construed as unlawful to possess under the current definition of the law.
Where is this from? MSI?
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:30 PM #757
Abulg1972's Avatar
Abulg1972 Abulg1972 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere south of the Manson-Nixon Line
Posts: 4,077
Abulg1972 Abulg1972 is offline
Senior Member
Abulg1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere south of the Manson-Nixon Line
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountied View Post
Where is this from? MSI?
I don't think so - just gratuitous advice based on this very long thread (the last FAQ isn't accurate, fyi).
Abulg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:30 PM #758
Abulg1972's Avatar
Abulg1972 Abulg1972 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere south of the Manson-Nixon Line
Posts: 4,077
Abulg1972 Abulg1972 is offline
Senior Member
Abulg1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere south of the Manson-Nixon Line
Posts: 4,077
Has anyone received any kind of response from BATFE regarding an "application"?
Abulg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:38 PM #759
CypherPunk's Avatar
CypherPunk CypherPunk is offline
Opinions Are My Own
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,616
Images: 8
CypherPunk CypherPunk is offline
Opinions Are My Own
CypherPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,616
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulg1972 View Post
I don't think so - just gratuitous advice based on this very long thread (the last FAQ isn't accurate, fyi).

You rewrite it, Iíll correct it.
__________________
Notice: The opinions and views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organization with which I may, or may not be affiliated.

2018 Frederick IWLA Training Schedule
Maryland Firearms Wiki & FAQ - Contribute!
CypherPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:51 PM #760
Abulg1972's Avatar
Abulg1972 Abulg1972 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere south of the Manson-Nixon Line
Posts: 4,077
Abulg1972 Abulg1972 is offline
Senior Member
Abulg1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere south of the Manson-Nixon Line
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherPunk View Post
You rewrite it, Iíll correct it.
I'd rewrite it by deleting it. Judge Bredar did not conclude that gun oil could fall within the definition. I attended the hearing. In expressing his concern that the statute was unconstitutionally vague, he simply asked the State whether gun oil could fall within the definition. The State did not answer that question, and Judge Bredar did not issue any ruling with respect thereto. Keep in mind that to be within the scope of the definition, something must be a "device" that is "constructed" so that, when "installed" in or "attached" to a firearm, the rate of fire increases. No one is going to jail for possessing a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating Oil. We need to keep our heads on our bodies as we battle this out.
Abulg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Tags
sb707, trigger activator


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (2 members and 5 guests)
Kfoley, xKtF
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service