• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbalog

Apr 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Snake ID

Not a garter snake. Looks like a young rat snake. The pattern fades with age. Very beneficial. Hope you didn't wack him.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I've had several very long black rat snakes. Like 6' +. 3 found the ducks (and their eggs) so I ended up having to kill them because I could not get them to stay away. I think one still lives in the garage somewhere during the winter. I find at least one large skin every spring. I thought the mice were gone because I moved most of the bird seed out. They got into the suit this winter though and I caught a couple mice in traps. Hopefully the snakes will be gone for good this winter. I'm not going to keep anything edible in the garage. I think I even had mice in the bed of my pickup truck chewing the paper edge of a bag of corn.
    Last week I found a baby rat snake and he was less than a foot long and looked mostly blackish with a light belly. Hopefully I will never spot a copperhead at home but they have been spotted in the neighborhood.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I agree that it is a garter snake. DNR has a great page with photos:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/herps/Fieldguide_OrderSquamata.aspx

It also distinguishes the poisonous snakes. The copperhead is the one found on the Shore.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/herps/venomous-snakes.aspx

There aren't any pics of garter snakes in this thread. Garter snakes have several stripes down the length of their bodies and the pattern exists from birth.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I think I just saw a Common Ribbon Snake in my back yard. Although it seemed greener than the picture on the ID page. Fist one of those here. It hustled into the wood pile when I sprayed it with the hose. Was hoping it would make a mad dash for the woods. I have so many of these blue lizards. Maybe that's what luring them in. Although they must be good at avoiding them since there are so stinking many of them. I can't hardly walk outside without seeing one scurry into hiding.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Found this snek last weekend in Hamburg, PA;)
    for those with an interest, the best reptile show around is a couple miles from Cabelas.
    20180609_114545.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Sorry today you got caught

Attachments

• 12398187-B5F3-446E-837A-EFFA7A553240.jpg
      12398187-B5F3-446E-837A-EFFA7A553240.jpg
      121 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads