• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Kind of interested in this. Wished the county opened this up to hunters.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
      IMG_1330.jpg
      125 KB · Views: 160

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Nothing but button bucks and half racks on camera. Really want one more doe so I'll be out climbing a tree at 6:00am freezing my balls off. Just hope its not the same stupid button making his appearance with his brother and sister. I can only pardon what looks and behaves like a doe so many times.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Man, they get to shoot them at night. They should just allow "hunters" to spotlight in the problem counties and then the problem will be a lot less of a problem.

I remember all the crying and screaming when they planned to do this in Wheaton Regional Park. Might be the same park actually since it is MNCPPC.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The only animals I saw this morning in the woods were two squirrels and a cat.

The cat looked like a much better hunter than me.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Man, they get to shoot them at night. They should just allow "hunters" to spotlight in the problem counties and then the problem will be a lot less of a problem.

I remember all the crying and screaming when they planned to do this in Wheaton Regional Park. Might be the same park actually since it is MNCPPC.

This is on the Muddy Branch trail (MBT). Covers land from the Kentlands off of Rt 28 and goes all the way down to River Road. I saw these signs from QO Road to Esworthy so my presumption is it would also extend to Rt 28 and then down to River Road.

I mountain bike on the MBT and there is a metric F ton of deer in there. There are some absolute monster bucks along this trail. I wished they'd opened it up to lottery for hunters. This whole idea was being discussed on a local neigborhood forum and I thought it ironic that these signs were posted shortly thereafter the thread hit mentioning opening up the area to local hunters. My hope is that these deer are harvested and not actually tossed in a dump.

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    Went out this morning, passed on a doe with a yearling the were tens yards away, also had two spikes at 50 yards. I was holding off for an eight I call Patrick Swayze aka Ghost, last seen him in September, then yesterday morning (Sunday of course) he shows up at 815am. Pic is dark so maybe it didn’t account for daylight savings. Maybe it 715 am.Sorry for the sideways pic

Attachments

• 4ACC7B69-7BF9-4592-9E3F-15457ADA2C9A.jpg
      4ACC7B69-7BF9-4592-9E3F-15457ADA2C9A.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 120

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is on the Muddy Branch trail (MBT). Covers land from the Kentlands off of Rt 28 and goes all the way down to River Road. I saw these signs from QO Road to Esworthy so my presumption is it would also extend to Rt 28 and then down to River Road.

I mountain bike on the MBT and there is a metric F ton of deer in there. There are some absolute monster bucks along this trail. I wished they'd opened it up to lottery for hunters. This whole idea was being discussed on a local neigborhood forum and I thought it ironic that these signs were posted shortly thereafter the thread hit mentioning opening up the area to local hunters. My hope is that these deer are harvested and not actually tossed in a dump.

I am very familiar with the area, but I have no idea where the MBT trail is or what MBT even stands for other than Mountain Bike Trail? I used to ride my mountain bike on the trails by the soccer complex in Germantown, and the owner/renter of Grey Rock Ranch had crop damage permits that I was "hunting" on. Killed 8 does one morning and just decided to stop because it was only me and an 80 year old man there and I was killing them back in the woods. I had deer laying all over the place, no ability to get a motorized vehicle back there, and nobody to help me. It was getting late by the time I had them all out of the woods and it was dark by the time I had 7 of them in the truck headed to Frederick to drop them off at a processor to feed the hungry.

While I was looking for two of them, a mountain biker came up to me and told me where they were laying. I was head to toe orange and with a shotgun in my hands. His parting comment to me was, "Kill them all." I was shocked.

At that farm, the deer would come into the fields at dusk and there were always 100+ in the fields. I can just imagine that the farmer was seeing dollars flying out of his hay fields and alfalfa fields right into the deer's stomachs. If I was the farmer I would have been crying.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

They do their long gun quals at our ranges. I was talking to their guys about the deer culls (and offering my services for free) and he said each of their officers averages over 100 deer a year. He said one of the best "culling" areas he does is Watkins Park near Bowie. They go in at night and it's a bloodbath. From what I understand the meat gets donated to food banks.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Woohoo-Deer On The Property

I'm a happy camper tonight. After a year without seeing many deer at all, I saw the largest bachelor group. 5 bucks, 2 spikes, what I believe was a 4 or 6 pointer, a 6 pointer and a 10 pointer. They were about 120 yards from my backdoor, so I could only see the racks with a scope I keep available. The good news. The definite 6 pointer and the 10 pointer were huge, heavy bodied deer. They came out at 5pm and the 10 pointer just crossed from one side of the opening to the other with only about a minute of grass eating. The rest stuck around for 10 minutes.

They were too far away for me to tell if this 10 was the deer I've spotted for the last 4 years now.

I can't believe I saw those deer this late in the season. It goes against everything I've seen for the last 4 years. But I'll take it. It was fun to see them, a delightful late season surprise.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A question for you Buckologists.

Do antlers automatically grow bigger in size every year? Or can there be small years and big years for a buck?

Thanks.

I'm a happy camper tonight. After a year without seeing many deer at all, I saw the largest bachelor group. 5 bucks, 2 spikes, what I believe was a 4 or 6 pointer, a 6 pointer and a 10 pointer. They were about 120 yards from my backdoor, so I could only see the racks with a scope I keep available. The good news. The definite 6 pointer and the 10 pointer were huge, heavy bodied deer. They came out at 5pm and the 10 pointer just crossed from one side of the opening to the other with only about a minute of grass eating. The rest stuck around for 10 minutes.

They were too far away for me to tell if this 10 was the deer I've spotted for the last 4 years now.

I can't believe I saw those deer this late in the season. It goes against everything I've seen for the last 4 years. But I'll take it. It was fun to see them, a delightful late season surprise.
    Got any cameras out? They may have gone nocturnal and you just didnt know they were there all along;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Got any cameras out? They may have gone nocturnal and you just didnt know they were there all along;)

No cameras, but will think about it now. I've never had nocturnal deer in that area. There's a small spring in that area that seems flow most winters. My guess is that with the warmer weather, it's flowing again and they are looking for a drink before they bed down for the night.

Just a guess.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

It is possible some county doesn’t participate, but I think all donate to food kitchens. Several specifically call out that they do.

I’ve only seen them do that “officer harvest” at Alpha Ridge in HoCo. They might at some of the other “parks” in the county, but not that I have ever seen signs. MoCo it seems really popular.

A shame they don’t just open more of them to bow hunters a couple of days per year by lottery.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was earlier saying the deer around me are going nocturnal. I will correct myself.
    I don't think the deer are nocturnal, they are just choosing where to go during the day.
    With no leaves on the tree, they don't need to walk into a clearing for sunlight to warm up. Driving some back roads last weekend, I saw deer out in fields where I know there is zero hunting pressure. I also saw some off the road in the woods walking.
    I don't know if there are still acorn on the ground or under the leaves but they have to be eating something during the day.
    My feeder was set to 2hrs before sunset until last weekend where i set it to 7am. I am hoping they adjust and come out early as they have had no problem only coming out well after dark. If they don't eat my corn, the birds an squirrels will. I only have a few chances to hunt left this month. Hoping to see them on camera during hunting hours.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It is possible some county doesn’t participate, but I think all donate to food kitchens. Several specifically call out that they do.

I’ve only seen them do that “officer harvest” at Alpha Ridge in HoCo. They might at some of the other “parks” in the county, but not that I have ever seen signs. MoCo it seems really popular.

A shame they don’t just open more of them to bow hunters a couple of days per year by lottery.

This won't be popular but...

Using police and killing the deer after dark has two advantages. It allows the police to become more proficient at sniping during night time hours and it feeds, for the most part, Democratic voters.

The first part, I am strongly averse to. The second, well people gotta eat, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom