May 15, 2007
    Another good video of the...

Ruger AC 5.56 (Mini 14)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Nutnfancy's review on the Mini-30 is not so good.

I don't know who these folks are, and I didn't have time to watch the whole thing...but the first five minutes really had me questioning their credibility. Are they really experts, or do they just play them on YT?

The left handed shooter seems to have his finger all over that trigger as he is settling in and adjusting his position. Maybe he knew it wouldn't go off...maybe I'm not Operator enough to be able to do it that way :shrug: Maybe I wouldn't have been looking so hard for it if they hadn't used a screen capture for the cover photo of the video that clearly showed boogerhook on boomswitch while looking at the camera (and not a sight picture).

They're also pretty casual about immediately kicking out and picking up what I would consider a live dud...but, again, maybe it's just me. I'm a target shooter. I'm not training how I fight.

What really called their entire...everything...into question for me was the fact that their big complaint (at least as far as I got) was that the rifle wouldn't function well with the ammo that they apparently knew the manufacturer did not recommend :wtf: Makes me think they'd complain about it not cycling .300BO either...or that the new F150 runs like crap, after filling up on diesel. :rolleyes:

Somebody once told me something to the effect of, "Communist ammo is for communist guns" :shrug:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Art3 you have a point about NutNFancy in general. But is it not true that the Mini 30 has issues with light primer strikes? I think the answer is yes, and that is the main point made in the video.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Art3 you have a point about NutNFancy in general. But is it not true that the Mini 30 has issues with light primer strikes? I think the answer is yes, and that is the main point made in the video.

I don't know much about the Mini 30. I guess there is a Mini 30 sized gap in my collection between the Mini 14 and M1A, but it has never really screamed out to me to be filled. I haven't looked into it myself, but if you say they are known to have light primer strike issues, I'll take your word for it. These guys, using presumably cheap combloc steel cased ammo with presumably combloc hard primers in a rifle that the manufacturer apparently only recommends brass ammo...I'm not going to take their word for it that the rifle is "bad" because of light primer strikes...at least, not for what they've shown me so far. I know...I'm presuming a lot...:rolleyes: How often in our own lives, or vicarious lives on here, have we heard about guns just not liking certain ammo :shrug:

Also...in the brief glimpse of the rounds that didn't go off, it sure looked to me like the primer had a pretty good hit on it. Why didn't they put it back in and try again?

I've got slow internet, and not a whole lot of time on it, so I probably won't get to see the rest of the vid. Would it change my mind if I did?

I'm not trying to get into an argument (well...not with MDSers ;) ), I just don't feel like those guys did a good job of making their case. :shrug:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think I have a more favorable impression of the mini-14 after reading this thread. And even the light strikes on the mini-30 are correctable (or so I am told). Everyone who has owned one seems to recommend the mini-14, only differing in the amount of enthusiasm. Good stuff.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I think I have a more favorable impression of the mini-14 after reading this thread. And even the light strikes on the mini-30 are correctable (or so I am told). Everyone who has owned one seems to recommend the mini-14, only differing in the amount of enthusiasm. Good stuff.
    Dreadpirate, regardless of what the anti Mini-14 crowd says you won't be disappointed with one of the new 580+ models have to offer! The one thing is that that you are not forced to chose between one or the other (i.e.: AR). You are allowed to own multiple firearms. I own multiple AR's but it would be a hard decision which to grab first! That's why I own both! The Mini is plenty accurate and extremely reliable! If I were to have to choose between one or the other it would be the Mini all day long! If I want long range accuracy my bolt guns leave both my Mini and AR's in the dust!

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Still kicking myself in the ass for passing up on a 6.8 chambered Mini-14, stainless steel. Local gun shop known for greatly overpricing their guns had it, new. I finally decided to spend the bucks, but it was too late, it sold. I have Mini-14s and AR's, I like both. Kind of like having a Mustang and a Camaro, both fun to drive. Something curious about my Mini's, bought them a week apart, serial numbers are close. One receiver marked 5.56 and the other .223. Owners manual does indicate they can chamber 5.56 and .223. Just seemed odd. They both shoot great, totally reliable. Downfall is the price of the magazines.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Still kicking myself in the ass for passing up on a 6.8 chambered Mini-14, stainless steel. Local gun shop known for greatly overpricing their guns had it, new. I finally decided to spend the bucks, but it was too late, it sold. I have Mini-14s and AR's, I like both. Kind of like having a Mustang and a Camaro, both fun to drive. Something curious about my Mini's, bought them a week apart, serial numbers are close. One receiver marked 5.56 and the other .223. Owners manual does indicate they can chamber 5.56 and .223. Just seemed odd. They both shoot great, totally reliable. Downfall is the price of the magazines.

Agree. While I'm not lacking in funds... I have great difficulty coughing up $39.99 each, for additional proprietary magazines. :sad20:

I'll end up doing it though...

Am also thinking of picking up a new production Mini-30 now as well. I have a friend who has one (recent manufacture date) and he has no problems with varied ammunition manufacturers, as reported elsewhere with the Mini-30.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Agree. While I'm not lacking in funds... I have great difficulty coughing up $39.99 each, for additional proprietary magazines. :sad20:

I'll end up doing it though...

Am also thinking of picking up a new production Mini-30 now as well. I have a friend who has one (recent manufacture date) and he has no problems with varied ammunition manufacturers, as reported elsewhere with the Mini-30.

I have John Masen mini 14 mags. Never had a problem with the 4 twenty rounders I've had for years. They are straight not curved like factory.

Stock number is JB1420...I think. CDNN has them frequently for $15. CDNN usually has factory mags on sale as well.

Attachments

• 20161123_133439.jpg
      20161123_133439.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 219

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have John Masen mini 14 mags. Never had a problem with the 4 twenty rounders I've had for years. They are straight not curved like factory.

Stock number is JB1420...I think. CDNN has them frequently for $15. CDNN usually has factory mags on sale as well.

Thank you for that info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom