Old January 14th, 2010, 03:35 AM #71
Imperator

Imperator

...hmm...quiet in here...
ImperatorZices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperatorZices View Post
Apologies for the lengthy wait. I haven't eaten a full meal since Christmas eve due to some stomach issues, and my willingness to live is at an all time low.

Scott's statement regarding Century built VZs has put me a little ill at ease.
Does anyone personally own a Century built VZ and can provide any input as to its overall quality, reliability, fit and finish?

Also, if the VZ I am interested in is of Century make, is it still worth it to get it over the M70?

Unfortunately, as much as I may like to, I won't be able to get a genuine CZ as it is too far out of my price range as of now.

If it means getting a rifle that works, I am willing to forgo the ease and low cost of acquiring an unregulated firearm. This being my first boomer, I really hope not to have to do a lot of repair work and adjustments outside of normal maintenance and possible optics mounting.

Thanks again everyone!

(By the way, if anyone wishes to make another suggestion, my budget is around $500 for the rifle itself prior to shipping and transfer fees.)
The M70 is made by century as well. I have not heard any complaints about the Century VZ's thus far. I would expect a fairly decent rifle, but not a show stopper that you would get from Czechpoint. It will likely be built on an ORF receiver or similar receiver and not a D-Technik. I have both receivers and I think I actually prefer the ORF slightly. Both are very nice though.

You shouldn't have to do any real work to the current batch of VZ.58's, as long as the head spacing is correct and the feed ramp is correct, you should have no problems... those are really the only 2 things that could go wrong in the assembly of this rifle by century. It's pretty well stupid proof, even more so than a AK-47 when it comes to assembly.

The only other thing in that price range that I might consider is the recent AR-15 kits that have been on the market. R-Guns is liquidating lower receivers for $55 each, and the COLT AR kits have been on the market for $500 with a new barrel. This would be an excellent deal if you wanted to build an AR yourself.
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:26 AM #73
Imperator

Imperator

I just looked up their parts kit prices, and their DPMS kits seem like good deals.
The Colt kits also seem nice, but personally I find the A1 design to be somewhat lacking aesthetically.

Also, I recently checked a tutorial on AR15.com, and the process for building an AR seems very involved. I do not possess the appropriate tools for assembling an upper receiver, and purchasing the vice block, wrench, etc. would run up the costs rather quickly.

Would you happen to know how much it would cost to get the rifle assembled, or is there an alternative way to assemble it? Would any of you be willing to assemble it for a discount?

By the way, right now, my choices include:
Century M70AB2, Century VZ-58, Lancaster AK-74, DPMS A3 parts kit w/ Sharps AR stripped lower

Thanks for any input!
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM #74

If costs are your primary driver, the AK-74 is the cheapest to shoot by a mile.

Mark
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:16 AM #75
Love those Combloc guns

Love those Combloc guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
If costs are your primary driver, the AK-74 is the cheapest to shoot by a mile.

Mark
+1 to that.

Surplus 5.45x39 is the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo on the market right now. The last time I checked AIM is selling 1080 round cases for $129.95. The downside is that its corrosive so be prepared for a lengthy clean when you are done shooting like I did today.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:42 AM #76
Imperator

Imperator

Thanks again for the information.

I was considering the Lancaster for a bit (being the cheapest option ), when I noticed that the barrel isn't chrome lined. I read that this would make it a little more difficult to maintain with corrosive ammo (as in needing more immediate tlc to keep it from rusting following use).

Also, I've hit another conundrum.* My brother said he was willing to make a financial contribution if I got an AR variant. I explained to him the pros and cons of each weapon system, and he felt that it would be beneficial to get the one with the greatest upgrade and accuracy potential.

This being an offer too tempting to just ignore, I began looking at the parts kits again . Any help in this particular area?

*My sincerest apologies for yet another change. Markp gave me yet another financially viable option, and now with so many choices I just cannot make up my mind...
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM #77
In need of moderation

In need of moderation

Well, you can always look at it from the other side... what platform do you like best and want to own? Good guns can be had fairly cheaply though you'll get more bang for your buck with an AK. Head out to the Frostbite shoot or find a local member, and shoot a few and narrow down your choices that way.

Ammo cost can be an issue on limited funds, and you can shoot more with a commie caliber. 5.45 is dirt cheap but most is currently mil-surp and corrosive. But don't be afraid of shooting corrosive, you just have to clean it correctly and can't put the gun away dirty. A lined barrel is not a must have, even for corrosive ammo.
rob-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM #78

Send a message via ICQ to Bigdtc

Send a message via ICQ to Bigdtc
I would recommend that you check out ammo prices, too. .223/5.56 ammo is fairly high compared to 7.62x39 and 5.45.
Most AR guys will not shoot steel case (Wolf) ammo in thier guns. They complain of extraction problems from the bullet coatings and extractor failures.
7.62 x 39 is available, cheap, as non-corrosive(Wolf) and corrosive mil-surp types. Note too that there is also yugo 7.62x39 brass-cased ammo that is very accurate compared to steel cased Wolf,etc. It is considered corrosive but is very mildly corrosive being more modern than most other mil-surp types. The chrome barrell really will not matter that much with this caliber of ammo, whatever ammo you use.
5.45x39 is the cheapest yet and likely to be more accurate that the 7.62x39 at further distances. This is at the sacrifice of punch through (barrier) power. Most of the cheaper 5.45 ammo is corrosive, though.
Remember you need to feed whatever it is you decide to get.... I'm still voting for the Yugo, though. Good Luck
Bigdtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM #79

I have a solution for you. It's a little pricey until you factor in ammo.

Buy an AR lower ($55) from R-guns and a lower parts kit $60 or so...

Then go to Copes and order this:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/pro...oducts_id=1020 Yes, it's $649, but you will have a VERY nice upper.

Viola, you have a 5.45 AR. Mine works great. I have put a few hundred rounds down the pipe. The corrosive ammo is pretty nasty but it wasn't too hard to clean the gun. $150 for 1260 rounds will ease your pain quickly.

Great thing about AR's is that you can play swaptronics with them. You can have a dozen uppers with one lower.

Mark
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM #80
Imperator

Imperator

@rob-cubed & Bigdtc:
Thanks a lot for the input. I didn't really factor in the cost of ammo when making considerations. However, if in the end I did get an AR, would cheap non-Wolf ammo like Silver or Brown Bear work reliably?

@Markp:
I have considered such an upper, but when combined with the cost of shipping, lower, transfer fees, lower parts kit, and stock, the price balloons fairly quick. I've actually come across a STAG parts kit deal on AR15sales.com, and it seems pretty decent. It's not 5.45, but chances are if I get an AR I'll be getting a 22 conversion in the future, so ammo prices may not be as big a deal. My brother keeps reminding me that it has to be an AR to get his help so I may have to give in, at least until I can again afford another firearm.

I'm also trying to convince a friend to make his first purchase, and he seems to be leaning more towards the AK/VZ at this point. This thread has helped immensely for that, and I wanted to let you all know that I thank you for your help.

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region