• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If this is accurate, did they go through a safety approval process involving outside evaluators (vs. a department decision made via executive fiat), taking in account the design of the neighboring range? Highly negligent if they didn't.

Given the way things have been running in Frederick County recently, I highly doubt it. The range is outside the city of Frederick, so it likely would have had to go through the Frederick County planning commission (if at all) which has been, well, lax and corrupt as hell.

If Cresap does indeed lose their lease, it might be advisable for the MD hunting and shooting public to press the DNR to build a new public sight-in range akin to what they have at Myrtle Grove WMA.

If it does close, it looks like I'll have to apply for membership at the Damascus IWLA. I'd prefer to not do that as I plan on joining Tuscarora for trap and skeet as I only really use pistol and rifle for occasional SD practice with pistols (and I can do that at MGN or the like) or to sight in rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loaders for hunting season.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    The range is outside the city of Frederick

Actually it is not. That whole watershed is owned by the City of Frederick. That's why the City Police facility is there. In my opinion it is one of the things that has actually aided the ranges there (up until now). All of the new developments that have built up over the years surrounding the range complain, but since they are all county residents the City government really doesn't care since they aren't voters.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Actually it is not. That whole watershed is owned by the City of Frederick. That's why the City Police facility is there. In my opinion it is one of the things that has actually aided the ranges there (up until now). All of the new developments that have built up over the years surrounding the range complain, but since they are all county residents the City government really doesn't care since they aren't voters.

Owned? Yes. Incorporated? Nope. It's county-governed land.

Here's the official City of Frederick corporate limits map for that area. Grey = Incorporated Yellow = Unincorporated

citylimits.jpg

Now, does the city have some deal with the county where the county looks the other way in city-owned land matter? Possibly, but that area has never been annexed. The city can own the land without it being in city limits, but it falls under the County's jurisdiction unless it is officially annexed and incorporated in every other case I've ever seen.

Regulus91

Aug 3, 2017
    Myersville, MD
    FWIW, I called and spoke to my County Council member Kirby Delauter about it, as well as emailing him and Jan Gardner about it. I also emailed Delegates Afzali, Ciliberti, Vogt, and State Senator Hough about it.

In my phone chat with Kirby Delauter as well as my emails to the above named; I explained that the closure of Cresap has forced outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen in the area to take their business and spending to other neighboring counties and states, I think I made a pretty convincing case detailing the need for a county-run or state-run shooting range to serve the residents of Frederick County.

Sadly I think it's barely even a blip on the edge of their radar, unless I can get a few hundred other FredCo shooters to email/write letters/call them as well. Maybe they'll look into a funding grant to help renovate and reopen Cresap, at the very least.

Last edited:

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    FWIW, I called and spoke to my County Council member Kirby Delauter about it, as well as emailing him and Jan Gardner about it. I also emailed Delegates Afzali, Ciliberti, Vogt, and State Senator Hough about it.

In my phone chat with Kirby Delauter as well as my emails to the above named; I explained that the closure of Cresap has forced outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen in the area to take their business and spending to other neighboring counties and states, I think I made a pretty convincing case detailing the need for a county-run or state-run shooting range to serve the residents of Frederick County.

Sadly I think it's barely even a blip on the edge of their radar, unless I can get a few hundred other FredCo shooters to email/write letters/call them as well. Maybe they'll look into a funding grant to help renovate and reopen Cresap, at the very least.

Thanks for the effort and welcome to the forum! You may want to introduce yourself in the introduction section https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119
    I hope your efforts help but unless CRESAP can get some new land I don't think they will reopen.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Everyone at Cresap is very appreciative of the concern/support that people have shown over the last 90 days here. The club hopes to have some information to put out soon. Members of Cresap have not been commenting because this matter is in litigation and the club has attempted to negotiate in good faith with City officials. The club members have met with City officials and are awaiting a response from the City right now. In the interest of keeping inaccurate rumors to a minimum, the allegation was that ricochets and/or fragments left Cresap on one occasion during non-public hours and entered the police side of the range. Cresap disputes any unsafe range conditions and filed the lawsuit to protect the interests of the members and public. No vehicles are alleged to have been involved and no injuries were alleged. Cresap has had three independent experts from around the country evaluate range conditions (including environmental) and the City has also had one come out. The NRA has been very supportive of Cresap's situation and Cresap hopes to work through any concerns the City has and re-open to the public very soon. There are lots of questions here and Cresap will attempt to put out information as soon as possible. Cresap asks for your continued support and patience while it tries to work through this issue with the City. Thanks again for your support.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Everyone at Cresap is very appreciative of the concern/support that people have shown over the last 90 days here. The club hopes to have some information to put out soon. Members of Cresap have not been commenting because this matter is in litigation and the club has attempted to negotiate in good faith with City officials. The club members have met with City officials and are awaiting a response from the City right now. In the interest of keeping inaccurate rumors to a minimum, the allegation was that ricochets and/or fragments left Cresap on one occasion during non-public hours and entered the police side of the range. Cresap disputes any unsafe range conditions and filed the lawsuit to protect the interests of the members and public. No vehicles are alleged to have been involved and no injuries were alleged. Cresap has had three independent experts from around the country evaluate range conditions (including environmental) and the City has also had one come out. The NRA has been very supportive of Cresap's situation and Cresap hopes to work through any concerns the City has and re-open to the public very soon. There are lots of questions here and Cresap will attempt to put out information as soon as possible. Cresap asks for your continued support and patience while it tries to work through this issue with the City. Thanks again for your support.

Thanks for the info! We're keeping our fingers crossed for you guys!

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Message fron NRA-ILA

Received this in an email today:

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1789

Frederick City recently made renovations to a side-berm bordering one of its police shooting ranges. On the other side of the berm, is Cresap Rifle Club’s outdoor shooting range. Frederick City is now seeking to close Cresap Rifle Club for good because of a false claim of a hazardous environment. The City is now attempting to place full blame on Cresap and force it to shut down so they can expand their own police range and lock out the public from expressing their 2nd Amendment Rights at one of the few public, non-profit ranges in the region. Frederick City has refused to provide any specific information as to how Cresap should fix anything, yet Frederick City is now using taxpayer money to fight a lawsuit where Cresap is attempting to fight for a fair and reasonable agreement in the matter.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Got this too. Time to start asking questions of the city council. Whether they work for citizens, or are in the business of taking away public resources to expand the government.

On another note, I hope the Cresap attorney is able to obtain public records on what the police range's remediation plan has been, how much is budgeted annually by Frederick City to deal with lead remediation, records of these expenditures toward this end (not bs general upkeep), and records of when it was performed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for posting. I also received it and have been sharing the link (the NRA link) on some other boards. I'm glad to see the NRA helping to spread the word. We should all share the link on other sympathetic boards we frequent.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    For assistance call the City of Frederick 301-600-1440

The sign on the gate @ Cresap reads:

For assistance call the City of Frederick at 301-600-1440.

Got this too. Time to start asking questions of the city council. Whether they work for citizens, or are in the business of taking away public resources to expand the government.

On another note, I hope the Cresap attorney is able to obtain public records on what the police range's remediation plan has been, how much is budgeted annually by Frederick City to deal with lead remediation, records of these expenditures toward this end (not bs general upkeep), and records of when it was performed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've been seeing signs all over promoting reelection of the Mayor of Frederick City. It seems to me we need a change there. This should be a target of our efforts.

I agree. I've lived in Frederick since 2011 and it's getting more and more like Bethesda with each passing year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom