• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got caught again violating the AGC Ranges rules while I am still in probation with a more serious violation 5 months ago. I left the Lee Enfield #4 Mk1* magazine on the rifle during the “ceasefire” with the chamber plug in place and the gun is on the side bench (not shooting bench. I put it there long before they called ceasefire.) I think I just got confused with guns like Mosin Nagant or Berthier which I have several copies for each kind. The funny thing is, I never forget removing my SKS magazine.

I don’t try to deny my mistake because, like the Board of Trustees, I believe safety is priority one and everyone must follow religiously. It is not that I did not remember the rules. It is the recognition of the mind at the moment. Now I just wonder that, with what C&R rifle you guys often get caught violating with the ranges rules.

I also use this opportunity to thanks the MMSS president for being there with me and to show my regret to the Board of Trustees.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I've never removed the magazine from my Enfield at AGC. I know the magazine is removable, but I think I've only removed it once.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Sounds chickshiite as long as the mag was empty and you had your empty chamber flag. It's not like the English issued ammo in mags for the Enfields. They are typically so stiff, it's a PITA to remove them.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    K-31.

Been called on it at Cresap despite chamber flag as well. The problem is, they're not really meant to be detachable in the sense that modern detachable mags are. You aren't swapping out mags on an Enfield or K-31, you're hand-loading or using chargers, so it's easy to forget that they ARE detachable in the first place. By that interpretation of the rule, I'm surprised they don't make me drop the floor plate on my Mosins or 1916 SpanMau.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Sounds chickshiite as long as the mag was empty and you had your empty chamber flag. It's not like the English issued ammo in mags for the Enfields. They are typically so stiff, it's a PITA to remove them.

K-31.

Been called on it at Cresap despite chamber flag as well. The problem is, they're not really meant to be detachable in the sense that modern detachable mags are. You aren't swapping out mags on an Enfield or K-31, you're hand-loading or using chargers, so it's easy to forget that they ARE detachable in the first place. By that interpretation of the rule, I'm surprised they don't make me drop the floor plate on my Mosins or 1916 SpanMau.

Never even occurred to me to drop the mag on an Enfield. Thanks for the warning!

This, this, and this.
    Based on the one time I did drop it I think I would have to start working it out at 11:15 for a 11:30 cease fire

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I know two shooters who refuse to shoot their Enfield at AGC. That is their stubbornness based on the fact that the mags were reloaded by the use of 5 round chargers. Yes some can be difficult to remove but the rules do not exempt Enfields from removing mag during cease fires. I shoot my Enfield on a regular basis and no objection to removing them.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    K-31.

Been called on it at Cresap despite chamber flag as well.

I went to Cresap once. I never wanted to go back after seeing their RO's in action. Most of the one's I saw seemed like wannabe Parris Island DI's breathing down the necks of people trying to shoot. Shame since it's close to my house, but I'm so glad I joined Thurmont instead.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Wow. I've had my Russian SKS at AGC a couple of times and used a chamber flag, but never thought to pop open the magazine during cease fire. I guess I inadvertently broke the rules. Oops! I will from now on.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Cylinder should be completely removed from that revolver during cease fire.

It would never occur to me to remove the magazine from a Lee Enfield or a K31. Open bolt and chamber flag, combined with no touching should be plenty good enough. Still, the AGC has improved a lot over the years.

Question: Do they expect shooters with tubular magazine .22s to remove their tubular magazines?

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg

It would never occur to me to remove the magazine from a Lee Enfield or a K31. Open bolt and chamber flag, combined with no touching should be plenty good enough. Still, the AGC has improved a lot over the years.

Question: Do they expect shooters with tubular magazine .22s to remove their tubular magazines?

I hear that next year during a cease fire instead of stepping off the concrete pad we will be required to get in your car.

You know I am kidding.:)

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've never removed the magazine from my Enfield at AGC. I know the magazine is removable, but I think I've only removed it once.

Thanks for admitting it. I think all Lee enfield owner will have a bad day now and then. it's just a matter of time before you get caught again, especially when you spend 4hrs concentrating on your targets every weekend.

It's a lot safer shooting with your mouth and you never break any ranges rule.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD

Every Range Officer interprets the rules the same but each looks at our guns differently. Some think K31, Enfield magazines are fixed type, others say they are removeable type like AK/AR mags. I remember a couple of weeks ago, when a member complained that he could not remove the F#$@&#g magazine, The Range Officer suggested to put the rifle in it's case. So the day when they come up with new rules for tubular magazines is coming. If it's named MAGAZINE it must be removed period, that what they told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom