• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OK I will take it one step further...I have an ARES Defense SCR..Basically it's a standard upper receiver with ARES barrel. The barrel is NOT HBAR...It's a straight tube, no launcher cut out, not threaded for a muzz brake....and a proprietary lower and bolt carrier. You can replace the upper and the bolt and configure it for several different calibers with the right hardware. It's legal in Md...SO why wouldn't that upper be legal to put onto any M4 or other AR platform? The law is poorly written and confusing...MSP purposely refuses to define HBAR other than having HBAR stamped on the barrel..If I owned a firearms manufacturing company I would have all of my barrels stamped with it..

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I believe it has to be literally designated as an HBAR by the manufacturer, meaning it has to be stamped or stated(sold) by them that it is. Same dimensions, profile and weight as one doesn't count.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I think very obvious to see from manufacturer online. I have a De-ton upper
    kit I purchased, NATO 5.56 Heavy Barrel configuration.
    http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt101.htm
    Barrel:

• Chrome Moly Vanadium
    • M4 Feed Ramps
    • 16" Length
    • 1x9 Twist
    • A2 Flash Hider
    • Manganese Phosphated
    • Phosphated under Front Sight Base
    • Taper Pins in F-marked Front Sight Base
    • Threaded Muzzle
    • Heavy Profile
    Chamber:

• 5.56 X 45 mm

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I believe it has to be literally designated as an HBAR by the manufacturer, meaning it has to be stamped or stated(sold) by them that it is. Same dimensions, profile and weight as one doesn't count.

While MSP says stamped or advertised by Manufacturer as HBAR, I don't think it would stand up in court with the same or heavier profile barrel that is not marked or advertised.

HOWEVER, if advertised as Medium or something that is not HBAR, I personally would not take the chance, no matter what the actual profile is.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    While MSP says stamped or advertised by Manufacturer as HBAR, I don't think it would stand up in court with the same or heavier profile barrel that is not marked or advertised.

HOWEVER, if advertised as Medium or something that is not HBAR, I personally would not take the chance, no matter what the actual profile is.

Agreed. I think it will take such a court case before the legislature adds a definition to the statute or COMAR. Like you, I don't want to be the person named in that legal precedent.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    LWRC and Adcor Defense are Maryland based firearm manufactures. What is interesting is that their "pencil barrels" are not banned on the MSPD banned gun list. Adcor Defense for example does NOT make an HBAR. But their Elite 5.56 is not banned. As a matter of fact, i bought their upper because I was intrigued by their piston design. So far, extremely reliable and the most accurate rifle I own (I am no marksman, any rifle will perform better than I am capable of, but... I shoot SUB MOA with this one all day long).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.32.30 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.32.30 AM.png
      14.2 KB · Views: 461

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    LWRC and Adcor Defense are Maryland based firearm manufactures. What is interesting is that their "pencil barrels" are not banned on the MSPD banned gun list. Adcor Defense for example does NOT make an HBAR. But their Elite 5.56 is not banned. As a matter of fact, i bought their upper because I was intrigued by their piston design. So far, extremely reliable and the most accurate rifle I own (I am no marksman, any rifle will perform better than I am capable of, but... I shoot SUB MOA with this one all day long).

It's because it's a piston design. As stupid as it is, if the gun is a piston gun the barrel profile doesn't matter.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    They don't have to make sense, they just need to make things inconvenient, confusing, and legally hazardous for us. That's the purpose of MD's gun control regime.
    I don't even think they intentionally make it confusing... I think they are just that ignorant and stupid.

At the end of the day, heavy barrel, light barrel, pistol, rifle, short or long barrel, tactical style or Rancher style... they shoot the same bullet from the same magazine at the same speed with the same velocity and are accurate to the same distance (within reason). These laws are stupid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Also the HK MR556 is not banned. Technically the Colt AR15 is also a "piston" rifle, it's just a different super dangerous killer for children kind of piston chosen by manical killers. As long as those pistons are not interchangeable with the other pistons you are gtg.

If you think they are ignorant and stupid, please dont bother to educate them. Educating them wont end they way you think with them magically waving away the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom