• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    I'm looking at building an AR10 and don't quite know where to start when it comes to good quality parts.. What is the best when it comes to AR10's for uppers and accessories? I'm looking for quality, reliability, and looking to piece together something that can give really good grouping for the platform.. Any recommendations?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The first thing you need to do is check compatibility. Many people make the mistake of buying parts for the wrong platform. AR10's Come in a few varieties, Armalight or DPMS seem to be the most popular. Many of the parts do not interchange between them.

The DPMS pattern seems to be the most popular for the hobby builder. Personally I would look into the CMMG brand parts built to the DPMS pattern.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I looked into building a DPMS type platform rifle. Looked at several pricing sources, read around. Palmetto was the best I could go price wise. Was unsure of their quality, heard different things. $900 basic configuration, IIRC. Hang out, watch for sales, don't rush it. Look for a good used gun. I lucked out with a like new Classic 20" DPMS for well under that Palmetto piece together. Great gun

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've been looking at the Aero Precision M5 upper and lower set for 280 at Recoil Gunworks. I'm highly tempted to get the set and slowly start building a carbine or SASS clone for deer hunting/precision shooting. With that said, in my research, I have found that the DPMS style has a lot more components out there for somebody like me. A friend of mine built a SASS clone off of an 80% and he said he likes it. Also the ability to use the Magpul mags in an AR10 is a bonus for going with the DPMS style.

Brownell's is a good place to start looking for AR10 stuff, not to mention I have done a lot of business with them over the years and have never been unhappy with them or the products I have bought. It also helps that my job gives me a dealer account with them. :D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "It also helps that my job gives me a dealer account with them."

Definitely an advantage. Best I could do outside PSA was around $1400 for a rifle patterned like the DPMS TAC 20. Might as well buy the completed rifle. As it is now I am just a railed handguard away.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    "It also helps that my job gives me a dealer account with them."

Definitely an advantage. Best I could do outside PSA was around $1400 for a rifle patterned like the DPMS TAC 20. Might as well buy the completed rifle. As it is now I am just a railed handguard away.
    A dealer account doesn't do much. Maybe 10% of on some things, but the actually discount varies depending on the item. Optics have zero discount, while things like parts MIGHT have a discount.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Anyone have any reservations against the S&W M&P10? I like most everything about the package except the pencil thin barrel... I would most likely swap that out for something thicker in the long run.. And has anyone heard of or run into issues with running one suppressed?

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Mega Arms Maten

Mega Arms Maten

1. Matched upper/lower with tensioning screw
    2. Option for matched, screw on handguard
    3. Ambi bolt release
    4. Excelled fit and finish

Also sold by Brownells

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics